Eden WT 800 vs Ampeg Svt 2 Pro For Metal??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass462, Apr 4, 2005.

1. bass462

Apr 4, 2005
    HI, I dont know how i didnt manage to find this site long ago...ITS AWESOME...I play in a metal band and i play a warwick corvette. Im lookign to buy a new amp but im torn between the Eden WT series ( preferable the wt800 ) and an ampeg svt 2 Pro. both sound great, i like the ampeg all tube sound but i like the fact that the wt is 400 watt stereo.. i havent really cranked both of them up yet ( the music store wont let me crank 'em) so i dont really know how they'll hold up... one thing that i dotn like is the eden limiter, u cant bypass it...will i have enough power with the svt 2 pro, should i opt for the higher hybrid power?
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You can never run out of steam I think with an all tube Ampeg... I've never seen anyone say it's not loud enough. But the Eden's a great amp according to almost everyone who's ever touched it... I'm personally unsure but my gut instinct would lead me to the Ampeg because I like tube amps and especially SVT's and SVT-II's.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    With tube amps, all you really need is 200-400Watts. Tube is kind of proportionally different than SolidState as far as volume:wattage goes.... if thats the way you wanna look at it.

In simpler terms... most people generally tend to think that 300 tube watts is comparable to 900 Solidstate Watts.

So basically... the WT800 or SVT2 will both be plenty loud enough for you. I'd honestly prefer the 2Pro for Metal, as far as tone goes... but at the same time, I dont like changing tubes and crap like that. I'm facking lazy, I guess... and cheap :p.

And yeah... I'd go with the SVT-II rather than the 2Pro, just to be safe. The 2Pro had some reliability issues, and its really just all very yucky... might as well take aim at a sure-fire bet. :cool:
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hmm... I think tube watts generally run 3-4x as loud as SS watts. Its been mentioned that 300 watts tube is 900 SS but from experience I think its more like 1200, depending on the specific amp. I hope to be aquiring a SVT-II soon, and it should be plenty loud. You may want to check out the SVT-CL too.
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yep.. there you have it.

I also agree that you should check out the CL and give it a shot.

However, another thing you might want to think of is weight. It tends to be an issue with many guys with tube rigs. Your lookin at 80+ lbs possibly.... you better make SURE you love the tone your getting... especially if your playing gigs.
  6. bass462

Apr 4, 2005
    hehe kool, thanx alot everyone i really really appreciate your feedback, i know the svt II is a beast to lug around but i guess i could use the work out hehe..
    and oh TheChariot, you mentioned the svt II over the II pro... i ve heard of the reliability issues... do they still make the "II" minus the "pro" or will i be lucky to find any? what are the differences between the two anyways?