Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden wt-800 vs. Ampeg SVT4 Pro HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sonny, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Sonny

Sonny

Sep 5, 2004
    Greetings Fellow SubToners,

I have been posed with an interesting delemma. Have found a Eden wt-800 and a Ampeg SVT4 Pro used for the same money in to different locations.

I've done extensive research into both amps (including playing through my Eden D410XLT cab) and I love them both but I'm a man of little means.

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

S

2. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hi dude,

I have just changed from WT-800 to SVT 4 Pro, and I don't regret it. But it's a matter of taste... for my taste the WT-800 colors the sound too much, but as I said.. taste.

Make sure you get to try both amps w/ your Eden cabinet, both live and at rehearsal. That's the best way to find out what works best for you, really.

Good luck!

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hard decision to be faced with...

I am not sure about what kind of music you play or what sound you are into.

For the stuff i like to play (Funk, Soul, Mellow Rock) i really really like the Eden WT300 i have. More so than the Aguilar db659 i had before.

So i would choose the Eden.

Michael

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Thats a perfect example of why you need to try out both amps if you can.

I always had the impression ampeg "coloured" the sound moreso than an eden :eyebrow: . Different strokes i guess...

Michael

5. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Yeah, I guess it's different thoughts of how a bass-amp that doesn't color the sound sounds like. If you think the Ampeg sound sounds the way a bass should sound, you think other gear colors your sound in the wrong direction, and the other way around. A matter of taste.

But as I said, it is very important that you get to try the gear out. I have blown big money on not beeing good at that.

Let's hear what you come up with :)

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

For me I would take the Eden. I returned an Ampeg to store to buy my Eden. That was after using Ampegs for over 10 years.

7. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I sold my Mesa M-2000 to get an Eden WT600.
    I wasnt digging the M-2000 at all, so I started trying out different heads. I tried the Ampeg SVT 4, I liked it, but nowher near as much as the Eden. I have never second guessed my decision, I love the Eden sound. I dont think that it colors the sound at all, I think of it as a true bass sound, were as I think the Ampeg colored the sound.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've owned both at different times. Popular amps for a reason. The 4 Pro has a characteristic grind that rockers seem to take to and offers 1200 watts when bridged into 4 ohms. It gets pretty loud. It's also heavy. The 800 has a great, musical tone when set flat (the preamp is the best feature, IMO) but is "only" 800 watts mono bridged into 8 ohms. You cannot bridge the 800 into a 4 ohm load. For me, the 800 lacked overall volume and headroom on louder gigs. But I sure liked that preamp! For tonal versatility, I'd take the Eden and use a separate power amp, say a Stewart 2.1. For stand-alone applications, and assuming mostly rock style music, I'd go for the Ampeg. Good luck!