Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT 800 - why so cheap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tubster, Nov 24, 2004.

1. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Seen Eden 800's running used for about the same price as a 550. Seem inexpensive for an 800 watt.

Is there something we should know?

2. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Yeah, once you buy gear, expect to lose your @$$ if you try to sell it. Most people are looking for a great deal and won't pay the actual worth of an item so if you want something sold, you have to sell it cheap. This is partly because the manufactuers and retails sell gear or anything for that matter, for way more than it actually cost to prduce in the first place.

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    used swr stuff's prices are in the crapper too... it's a buyer's market apparently with this stuff that's not hip at the moment

4. Actually there's a simpler explanation, Eden amps sound like merde and so does SWR. :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. i just fell over laughing. :bassist:

6. Eden heads are yesterday's news.

[Seinfeld voice]

"Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

[/Seinfeld voice]

7. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    it's obviously all personal preference- but having played through aguilar, ampeg, GK, eden, and glockenklang preamps/heads, the only thing that outdid the eden navigator in my opinion is GlockenKlang- im just not yet willing to sell one or more kidneys to buy one yet.

eden preamps and ampeg pro-series cabs are a great match in my opinion- awesome sound.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I prefer the Eden Nav myself, lots of people prefer Eden gear.

Everyone has an opinion. The only idiotic opinions are those by a person telling everyone else that their opinion is invalid . . . :scowl:

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Unless, of course, their opinion is invalid. Then you are obligated to tell them so they don't walk around oblivious.

10. I would rather have the mono head, the wt 550. 2 ohm stable and easiier to pull the 550 at 4 ohms. The 800 is stereo and gets trickier.

11. Then again, 'ignorance is bliss'.

That's why I still use an Eden head.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hmm, I finallly got to spend some time with an Eden WT800, rather than just trying one in a store (which we all know can be very deceiving).

These seem to be really decent amps. Definitely right up there at the top of my list if I decide to get rid of the Ampeg for something different.

13. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Yea I like the idea of the 550 too. I seem to need 3 cabs to get the best out of the WT800 - it does 800 bridged into 8 ohms and then 400 per side into 4 ohms - not too convenient.

Still a great amp though!

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
  15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    See my signature.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As a previous owner of the 800, I found it to be an excellent sounding and reliable amp. I especially appreciated the preamp, the real strength of the unit, IMO. While admittedly not on a par with the most transparent units on the market, it's hard to find an amp that sounds better when set flat. My reasons for selling mine had to do with its inability to bridge into a 4 ohm load and my desire for a different sound from my amps.

It seems that these amps have been selling used for around $800 in the U.S. for a number of years. According to SMASH, that's still pretty much the neighborhood, which doesn't surprise me.

I'm sure there's a "flavor of the month" factor that affects some buyers/sellers. But I've yet to see evidence that the 800 has suffered post-Washburn.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Which would be the "most transparent" amps on the market?

18. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Don't know, but here's one of the most transparent BASSES on the market :D ...

[​IMG]

19. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    WT800 will probably be one of the classics despite its architecture as a stereo amp bridgeing at 8ohms. We're a little spoiled having used power amps that bridge at 4ohms with a yield of 1200 Jigga-watts, but at two rack spaces its still a managable trade off in my opinion. Even running stereo at 8ohms a side your still getting close to 500 watts rms which for most people is very adequate. (Probably why the SWR 400S at 150 watts a side at 8 ohms has been pretty forgettable)-one mans take.