Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-800B, Thunderfunk T550, iAMP 800 -- Schroeder, Accugroove, etc...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Oct 25, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Just curious about the T-Funk and iAmp's in terms of tone and power.

I am looking to seriously downsize and make my rig more "modular" and portable but maintain the power. This may mean getting rid of my Navigator and WT-1000 setup (4 space - 44lbs.) for a lighter 2 space alternative. The WT-800B is 2 spaces, 26 lbs. and powerful as hell (880 watts bridged @ 8 ohms and 1,100 watts bridged @ 4 ohms).

The T-Funk looks like it has more versatility than the WT-800B but much lower wattage 880 watts vs. 500 watts. I ahve heard some comment that they sound similar to Eden's though they have their own character. The Timbre control and the "switch" are very interesting. But the power? Is 500 watts really enough or is Dave's stuff conservatively rated? I have been using my Eden bridged at 4 ohms giving me 1,000 into TWO Eden D410XLT's.

The iAMP 800 looks nice too. Power is close to the WT-800B. I really like the Deep, Bright and Contour switches. Seems like it is very flexible. The deep switch really gets me excited. That is one feature I wish the Eden's had. I liked it on the Aggies but they were a bit "squishy" for me.

So, what to do, what to do? I have talked to Jorg and he has invited me down to his place to test out his cabs and to A/B other cabs with a bunch of amps (whatever I bring). I won't be able to set that up for several weeks so I am looking for some insight on the following:

* Does the T-Funk have enough power at 500 watts? Could there be a bigger T-Funk on the way?

* Explain more about the Timbre function

* Can the iAMP 800 get warm, punchy and chest pounding? I don't want a lifeless amp tone wise.

* Can anyone compare these two to the WT-800?

* Anyone use any of these with the Accugrooves, Schroeders, Acmes, Bergs, etc...

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Mike,
    the TF is plenty loud at 500W. Sounded louder to me than the iamp at similar volume settings.

The timbre is kind of a one knob eq, turn it counter clock wise, and the effect is boosted lows and reduced highs. Turning it counter clock wise does the opposite. I, and many others, use the timbre control more than we use the eq controls on the TF.

There have also been a few threads comparing the TF and iamp800, worth a search for.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't want to confuse you more, but have you also thought of the aggie AG500? its only 500W, but it seems to be gaining in popularity and its recieved great reviews. i haven't played one, but i thought i'd suggest it coz it only weighs 18lbs.

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I just traded in my iamp 800 for a tfb 550 w/switch. I am quite pleased with the results. I've only had the thunderfunk for couple weeks (only gigged three times so far), so take my observations for what they are. Initial impressions.

Don't know if a bigger 'funk is in the works, but I can't see the need for one. To say that the Thunderfunk is conservatively rated is a MAJOR understatement. Easily belting out volume equal to or greater than the iamp with headroom to spare. Honestly, while I loved the preamp on the iamp, I never got comfy with the power section. I wound up running the iamp's pre through my Crown Macrotech 2402 there at the end.

Seems to place a slight low/low-mid emphasis while rolling off some highs when "cut, and seems to tighten up the low end (perhaps low cut?) and emphasize the high end when "boosted". Manages to do the cut bit without becoming muffled which is a nifty trick. I'm sure that there is more going on to it than this, but I can't put my finger on it. Don't overlook the enhance knob either. I've found that sparing use of it along with "switching" off the "tubes" can net some good sounds too. I normally dislike cutting mids, but the enhance knob is defintely usefull when used marginally.

Yes, the iamp will get warm, but...it will take a lot more eq work to get it warm up like the 'funk. It lets you tweak away, and gives more eq options than you can shake a stick at, but I find myself needing to use them more than I normally like. T-funk is quicker to dial in and has quite a bit of eq control also. The iamp has the presets, but the thunderfunk has basic bass/treble knobs (on top of the parametric eq) as well as the enhance/timbre thing going on. The iamp is definitely "flatter", so I suppose it is more versatile in that regard, but I could not get the iamp to produce a "warm, punchy and chest pounding" tone like I can get from the 'funk without work. The iamp seemed to "need" a little more tweaking for each room. The 'funk has not needed as much in the way of room adjustments so far. Then again, as I said, I've only gigged it three times to date.

Fairly limited experience with eden, sorry.

I've run both my iamp and 'funk through a cxl-112 and a nl-210 (seperately and together). Used both heads mostly with a warwick streamer LX6 for reference, but occasionally with a P, spector, and an engelhardt upright. With the iamp I found I liked the 112 more than the 210 for smaller one cab gigs, but the opposite is the case with the 'funk. I read somewhere on here that someone was selling a tfb because they felt it wasn't fully driving their nl-210 (don't remember who). I can't fathom that scenario. :confused: My nl-210 is being pushed around by my thunderfunk quite readily.

This isn't a straight runaway for the 'funk. The iamp kicked the tfb's butt in the upright department. The iamp also had a noticeably sweeter high end. Not that the thunderfunk's high end sounds bad, just that the iamp's was better.

The iamp starts from squeaky clean, and lets you go from there. The thunderfunk starts from a little more colored spot. I find myself missing the iamp for personal practice and quieter solo stuff, but the thunderfunk defintely sits better in a mix (at least on slab). The iamp could do the job, but required more effort and, thus far, the end result is still better for my purposes than the iamp.

PS: I will most likely get another iamp in the future, just can't swing two heads at the moment. I am thinking that one of the older models (600?) might suit me better. I really wish I could just have both right now! :mad:

PPS: Wow, I wound up writing a lot more than I intended....

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    +1, the iamp will get very loud, but you really have to crank it. Have no idea if the tfb550 would be louder cranked. Gets too durned loud anywhere past 1 o'clock on master volume knob.

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I tried the AG500 and wasn't really impressed. The Eden sounded better IMO. Plus, I want the Parametric on the other amps.

Thanks though. I appreciate the effort! :bassist:

7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I use Sadowsky's both PJ5's and Moderns so I definitely get a good mix of old school and modern.

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    maybe you should stick with eden man... a few weeks ago i walked into my local bass store and i heard a dud mucking around at the back. i had absolutely no clue what he was playing or what he was playing it through but i was absolutely floored; i can't say that enough.

the tone was a lovely old school tone with a HEAP of lows and highs so clearly defined that the harmonics the dude was playing sounded like a marimba or a xylophone!!!

i just HAD to know what he was using; so i walked to the back room and what did i find? he was using a sadowsky metro through en Eden WT400.

That was quite literally the best tone i had heard in my life... sad + eden.

this picture was taken on the same day ...

http://www.basscentre.com.au/index.php?module=Website&action=Text&content=1124964605515-1034#

he's the second one down man; wow... what a tone.

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Dave offers a 7 day trial period if you buy from him. I'd imagine that there has to be a dealer that will do the same for the iamp.

10. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    You might want to consider the Eden WT-550 too if you are downsizing. It's pretty small and light (20lbs?) but lots of power.
    We had a really loud band to cut through (distorted loud guitars, samples, screams, percussion and a loud DW drum kit)...my girl's WT-400 was getting power amp distortion on some gigs (the speakers were fine, 4x10 and 1x15 8 Ohm Eden cabs). Upgraded to the 550 and haven't found a gig yet where it didn't cut the mustard. The specs are under rated too. it's actually 550 @ 4 ohms and 750 @ 2 Ohms apparently, which is real handy for outdoor gigs where there is an Ampeg fridge available. Haven't personally tried it at 2 Ohms but.
    It is a great preamp too, actually it's bypassed now in favour of a STT-1 in solid state mode.
    Oh yeah the M-Pulse 600 is similar but louder again(also alot heavier)...it can drown out loud drums in a big rehearsal room. Not sure about reliability though, ask a repairman about fixing Dual rectifiers...it's a nightmare.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Knowing that you love the Eden Rig you have, why wouldn't you go with the 800B? I don't hear you saying what you don't like about Eden amps. Seems like a no brainer, get an 800B, give up a couple hundred watts, 2 rack spaces, and nothing else, and back to making noise. 1100w bridged into 4 ohms should be able to take care of business!

12. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

I have the iAMP800 portion already setup to try. Just going to be a few weeks and my curiosity won't last that long. Must ask questions. LOL ;)

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Nah, if I stick with Eden I will get the WT-800B it is much more power and only 26lbs.

14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    LOL you have been paying attention! I am in the market for better sounding and lighter cabs (schroeders, ag's, etc.) than my Edens AND since I will be testing cabs anyway... why not try some amps out too.

I do love the Eden thang I just hear that the T-Funk thang is Eden+ so I gotta find out.

Nav+WT poweramp = 44lbs. and 4 spaces
    WT-800B = 26lbs. and 2 spaces
    TFunk = 15 lbs. and 2 spaces
    iAMP800 = 19lbs. and 2 spaces

Oh what fun!

15. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    That's a really powerful head, a friend of mine bridged one and blew up his (non-Eden) speakers! The only advantage with the WT-550 is it's smaller.
    BTW the Thunderfunk won't do 2 Ohms...neither will the WT-800 but then you can always run 4 Ohm combinations in stereo to get around that. Good luck!

PS The Thunderfunk has a cool side handle also.

16. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    This is admittedly based on very limited experience, but having played through iAmps, Edens and now T-funk, my choice is Thunderfunk for sure.

I've had an iAmp500 & 800, WT300, 550 and now a 400 and just got a used TFB420 today. I was able to do several A/B comparisons between the WT-400 and the older T-funk TFB420. In every way but physical size, I like the T-funk better. I've always liked Eden amps, but in direct comparison the TFB420 sounds louder, clearer, has a more solid and controlled low end and is much easier to dial in a good sound. In comparison, the Eden sounded muffled and didn't have near as much headroom.

Like I said, this is based on first impressions, but I was originally planning on keeping the WT-400 as a second amp, but now I'm thinking more about keeping the old TFB420, selling the WT-400 and getting a new TFB550. Given how I seem to change gear a lot, I rarely consider buying new instead of used, but in this case I feel fairly safe thinking about a new T-funk. I can't think of any other amp I'd prefer.

17. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia

Did you actually compare the power amp sections with the same preamp, and was there much difference? I think tonally it might be the tube/solid state difference in the preamps. I hear a big difference putting the STT-1 through the WT-550's power amp compared to the amp on it's own. I'm hoping a T-Funk can sound similar. Good solid state pre's have a great fast attack to them, perfect for slapping.

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am finding this to be a very interesting thread. I have a huge interest in the Thunderfunk and the Eden heads (the 800 in particular), to eventually replace my SVT4 Pro. I am buying a cab first (quite probably a Schroeder), and then will work on the head after that.

Along with trying to decide what I want to go with for a new bass, I have a lot of decisions to make. :meh: (it helps that I will be starting a new job in the next month or so that pays much better than where I am now ;) )

Anyway, keep the comparisons coming. I am getting some very useful info here. :)

19. I'm using the Thunderfunk TFB550 (with switch) for upright, 4 & 5 string fretted, and 5 string fretless basses, and I'm quite pleased with the overall sound. I had been using an EA iamp 600 (older mosfet version), which, to my ears, seems to put out more power than the the iamp 800. As mentioned, the Tfunk has a flexible EQ, but I also use the timbre knob more than the EQ section. I have never lacked for power or sound flexibility with the TFB550.

I've got the AccuGroove Tri112L and Tri210L, which work great individually and create a monster combo when run together. The Tri210 is a little punchier and deeper, especially good for 5 string, but the Tri112 is even throughout the range and is superb for a natural and warm upright bass sound.

I get lots of compliments when performing with this rig, especially from other musicians. The real charm of the T-funk/AccuGroove combo is in a band setting. See if you can get some to demo in a live playing situation--then you'll hear them shine.

I've worked directly with Dave Funk and Mark Wright (AccuGroove) and have been thoroughly satisfied with the service and attention I have received from both of them. They understand the needs of a working musician and do what it takes to make you happy.

20. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Don't be in too much of a hurry there ... theres a lot to love in the 4-Pro!