Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-800B Upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Halftooth, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm curious if anyone here has sent there WT-800 off to Eden for the "B" upgrade? If so, was it worth the $500 upgrade?

I'm thinking of doing the upgrade, but I'm wondering if the added 40 watts a side is really noticeable. Eden mentiones that the rating is pretty conservative which leads me to believe that there may be a substantial power upgrade.

I also like the idea of being able to plug a 4ohm cab into the bridged slot and getting all 1100 watts out of there. I never quite understood why you could only plug an 8 ohm cab into the 800 to get the maxed wattage.

Anyway, the bottom line for me is deciding whether or not I want to do the upgrade, or sell the amp and opt for the WT-1250. Either way sounds good, but doing the upgrade saves quite a bit of money. If anyone has played both 800B and 1250, I'd be curious to hear what the power differences are and overall preferences between the two.

Thanks!

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't played both, but would imagine the difference b/t 1100 watts of 800B and 1200 watts of 1205 would be very minimal. I'm not sure what a used 800 brings these days, but you can buy a new 800B for around $1300...so do the math and see how that compares to upgrade cost. I really like my 800B....

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  3. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm pretty sure the 800B retains the stereo effects returns of the 800/600 - and the 1205 is a mono but 2 channel pre head...

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    moi aussi,

rockin' 1100 watts @ 4ohms into my Acme B2 or B4 is a killer thing indeed.

but do you need that? are you running @ 4ohms at any time? if not, then dont bother. you'll be without an amp for a few weeks, and you'll be out $500.

and IMHO, i think the 1205 is a step backwards for Eden. while i like the idea of a two channel head, and am glad its becoming a trend (epifani, acoustic image), their parametric EQ setup is one of the best and most flexible in the biz, and one of the reasons why i got an Eden (not to mention its distant cousin, the Thunderfunk).

5. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal

I completely see your side of this argument as far as not doing the upgrade. As of now, all I have are 4 ohm cabs, so doing the upgrade and having the ability of putting 1100 watts @ 4 ohms to my Schroeders is a great idea. The other side to looking at it is instead of sending the amp in for the upgrade, simply buy an 8 ohm cab and gain the wattge that way as well as gain a cab out of the deal. I think I'm leaning that route right now.

I'm with you on the WT-1205 being a step backwards as far as the preamp goes. I'm not entirely sure why the decided to deviate from the one thing that seperates them, and that's their amazing preamp section! Aside from the change in preamp though, I actually like the dirtection they went in. I just don't understand why they didn't just keep their traditional preamp design on one of the channels and have a simpler one for the second channel.

All in all, I'm thinking that leaving my WT-800 the way it is will be the best decision, and I think putting that $500 toward another cab will be money better spent.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    holy crap, that's be most cool. dave you listenin'?

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I must concur that the killer eq section is what made my buying decision the wt800B instead of the 1205, who's eq appears to be much less flexible.
    The Standard 800B eq section is so powerful, and the standard eden tone so fine(!), that shifting from one bass to the other generally requires very little change anyway...

hmmm...

which might be why the 1205 might works ok. I just didn't want to move away from the eden eq section I know and love...

Trying to pack one standard issue semi para eq, and a second tone stack more like what's in the 1205 into on 2ru chassis might be difficult. The shift to the new eq might have been cost driven?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  8. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I've been thinking about doing the upgrade. I'd really love to be able to bridge down to 4ohms. And I also considered trading mine in on a B, but my current wt800 matches my birthdate, so kinda want to hold onto it. I think it is a worthwhile upgrade if you need the new features.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I"m waiting for someone to get this done so I can find out if it is worth it. Otherwise I will go ahead and sell the amp to fund a new 800b.

10. Munji went through thinking about this. You can find the thread if you do a search.

Basically, Eden is running very behind on upgrades, so it's much longer than two weeks.

But, more importantly, when you look at the selling price of a used 800 in good shape versus the discounted price of a new 800(b), the difference is right around $500 (or less). Given that, the upgrade makes no sense whatsover to me.

11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Hi Ken, yeah I read Munji's ordeal with Eden. :rollno: That's why I'm hoping to read about a successful attempt at the upgrade.

As far as selling my 800 I really hate to sell things. That's just me but I know what you mean.

12. No problem there... I totally understand:) I tend to buy and sell too much!

13. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    FWIW, I just received my WT-1205, and I'm very, very impressed with this head. I've sold my WT-800 in favor of the WT-1205. It has a ton of power, and I actually dig the two channel feature.

Also of note, the preamps on both channels are very good and all Eden, and I didn't find myself missing the older style preamp at all. If I miss the original preamp, I still have my WT-550 that I can use instead.

All in all, I'm liking the decision to go with this head over the 800B.

14. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Good info!

This may be for another thread but do you find the tone of the WT550 similar to the WT1205? Given that you match the volume.

15. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, I didn't completely do a direct A/B comparison, so I'm not 100% on my feelings, but it seemed to be very close. Let's just say that if there is a difference, it wasn't drastic enough for me to notice at my specific settings on both.

On a side note, the compressor on the 1205 is so much better than the older one...you can actually dial however the amount in that you need.