1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden WT-800C Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbass78, Mar 17, 2008.

1. I've read some bad things about the early 800C's, tuner out issues, output problems, etc.

I have an opportunity to get a brand new Sept 07 build for pretty good deal but am a bit skeptical due to what I've read about the early models.

I've used Eden for quite some time and had nothing but good experiances. I recently sold it all and went to a TF-550B & Epi due to the lighter load, but need more power now than the TF can give me, the WT-800C would be perfect bridged mono.

Any information would be appreciated, I'd like to pull the trigger on this tonight or tomorrow.

Mike

2. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    I won't buy so much as a t-shirt from them ever again. Nothing but trouble from everything I have bought or used.

Don't do it. Check the forum reports.

Cameron

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Apparently Eden has been experienceing reliability issues across the board as of late. I purchased an Oct 07 WT550 in October, and have had no issues whatsoever.

4. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    The big problem with the 800C was the tuner out, the first run or so went out with a connection wire being too short and not actually being connected to anything :rolleyes:
    The one constant complaint on the 800C is that the *mute* feature is not an actual mute but a -20db pad :meh: I have no idea why they did that but that is indeed what it is.
    I would say if the amp is local and you can try it out then you will know first hand if it's any good or not.

5. Point well taken, anyone else?

I'm trying not to be motivated by the "deal", but for the amount of power I need, it looks like I need to spend 1800 or more on something, this particular amp is well below the normal price.

My TF-550B is awesome with my Epi UL-410 S2 4 ohm, but since I got a 610 this weekend, it seems a bit underpowered. (Epi UL-610 runs at 5.3 ohms)

The amp is not local or else I'd run it through the tests.

Mike

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've had my wt550 for several years NO PROBLEMS. I KNOW the wt800 sounds much more commanding!!! I'd say go for it, but maybe try to find a kick-butt repair shop to keep you running **IF** anything happens.

I love the tone of eden so much I'd probably stick with them as long as I could get something fixed.

7. Thanks for the information guys, I'm thinking I'm going to pass right now on this deal. I've had enough Eden stuff and it's time for something new now.

I've been wanting to try some Mesa bass amps, the guitar stuff I have rocks I would expect the same out of the bass stuff.

Mike

8. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I like the Wt550..That is a great unit in my opinion.. the 800c is another story... I had many many issues with the wt800c and i will never buy another product from them again .EVER!!!
    I would rather have a T funk anyday....
    I identified the Tuner out issue in the beginning and they first tried to say it was my other equipment issues.. I have a background in electrical enginnering.. I traced it to a bad ground or actually a MISSING ground wire... I was told i was incorrect at first.. Turns out thats what I told them was right.... and infact they issued a work order to all of their waranty repairs shops reflecting a fix for a what i identified early on.. I have the emails that back all that up.. it was nutty!
    Then the Mute is not really a mute at all... even though the emails said it was my fault, and said it was a MUTE, but that slowly was revised to "well its really only a -20db switch... mmmmmmm
    Then 3 repair attempts on the gain input, ,each time it came back to me something else was broken... It was brand new when i bought it and the day after i got it i went out on warranty.. i should have demanded my money back at that time,, but i tried to be accommodating...i was nice for 4 months,,, without my amp and $1600,,,, then i blew up....... need i say more.. If you can find "wt800B" unit that is safer. I do admit that the eden amps sound warm and nice to me. but the customer service is bleak and from what i have seen has not changed since my issues over a year ago...
    Some of their higher profile endorsers have jumped ship in recent months..
    Dave has a good design but i think there still is a major issue with the Customer Service which is basically no service.. and it took 4 months to get my amp back, that still did not work....:scowl:

Now I have a Genz Benz amp that had a slight DI problem.. i called them . spoke with Jeff Genzler in person. .infact he answered the phone... he sent a pickup call tag that was free for me.... and had me a new amp overnighted to me... and im just a normal guy.. and they do that for all of their customers... that is the way to go..

Like a previous poster above, i would not even attempt to buy a T shirt from eden unless you are a glutton for punishment..:eyebrow:

9. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Eden gear is great gear when it works... as soon as you need their CS you are screwed. PERIOD. 9 weeks to recone speakers? After shipping a pair to the wrong city. 4 plus weeks to do a gain mod on a 1205 and the owner still doesn't have it? I agree with the comment above, find a great local repair shop prior to purchase. And most likely if you get through to CS they will tell you a gold faced lie as to where your stuff is in the process of being repaired. Believ me,I didn't leave on a whim...

I happily accepted a different (and I feel better) tone when the entire package is a major step up.

10. I'm trying to get a noisy vol pot fixed on my WT550. Near impossible to get the information I require. I'm going to have to replace it and HOPE that it fixes what seems to be a design problem.

11. Well it seems there is a something in common.

Eden tone = good.

Reliability = not so good.

I'm not sure what to do just yet, neither one of the Eden rigs I had experianced any issues, both were kick butt, the 550 was a bit too small for my needs and the WP-100 w/1250 amp was too big. The 800 seems to be the "right one" on paper, but from what I'm hearing, might be trouble.

I'll see what happens but will need to get something this week as I'll be busting out that 610 next weekend.

Thanks again, I'll be selling my TF-550B next week once I get whatever the replacement is.

Mike

12. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Have you thought about the Thunderfunk Tf750?
    Lots of folks from eden have gone the Genz Benz route with great success.. And a stable product and superb support if you ever needed it.. I have a genz GBE1200 and the new shuttle 6.0 and never looked back at the eden that was in the shop for 4 of the 5 months that i owned it..

13. ChrisG19

ChrisG19

Apr 21, 2005
    Culpeper, VA
    I've been running a WT400 for almost a decade with no problems whatsoever. However, I'm just one data point so YMMV.

Unfortunately, it would appear the predictions of Eden's overall quality going down after the USM deal are, in fact, coming true. And that is a shame. :meh:

14. I have, I currently use a TF-550B and like it, for what I have in it $ wise and what it gives for volume, tone and lack of weight, it is a slam dunk. If I never went to the 610, this thread would not exist as I'm very happy with that combination.

The power gain from a 550 to a 750 is not that substantial to justify the cost, especially with a 5.3 ohm cabinet, at 4 ohms I would see the full 200 watts and the other improvements.

Since the are fairly new and in limited numbers, I'm just not willing to plop down 1500 or so for a used one or 1800 for a new one, at that price range there are other things I can consider, Genz Benz, Aguilar, etc. new and used.

I appreciate the support guys, if you see my 550B up for grabs this weekend, you know I found something.

Mike

15. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    So if you are passing on the WT800C what was the price on it.....and where is it???

16. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I have a good friend (slapagroov) here on the forum who went from a wt800 to a Genz GBE 750, and he swears it's every bit as powerful and loud as the wt800. PM him and ask for some details if you want.

17. I did buy the Eden guys, it was such a deal that I could not pass it up, if it does not work out then I've got no one to blame but myself. I'm not posting the TF for sale until I know this one is in working order with no issues.

Funny you say that about GB, I was really thinking about one of those lately and have checked out reviews extensively. They seem to pack a lot of punch and features into a nice price.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again for all the comments, I do appreciate it.

Mike

18. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    I think you'll find the 800 to be a solid and reliable unit. The problem isn't that the unit isn't reliable, the problems folks have been having is when they send the stuff back to the factory it takes awhile to get it back. That's why Dennis said to find a good local tech. I agree, no matter what brand you buy. I buy my stuff to play not sit on a UPS truck, or a work bench in Chicago.

Back to the 800, I think it's really the best all around Eden unit. It's powerful, relatively compact and lightweight and gets great tone with the knobs set pretty well flat.

19. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    exactly

20. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    I'm watching that same thread on the Eden website. I don't think it's a pot. I think it is some sort of static electricity that build up in the preamp section.

If there is no signal going into the preamp, and I wait about 30 seconds after I turn it on, the master is quiet. After it's running for awhile, especially after the fan has kicked in, there is no noise regardles what's going throu the preamp. I use an EB volume pedal between my basses and the head. No noise if I mute with the pedal first.

US Music is getting their schmit together. David is still there and he really does care. The wait times suck, but are getting better. I'm lookin at GB too, but I think I'm going to end up with an 800 B or C. My Ric and L-2000 really sing on my Eden stuff.