Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Feb 18, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    what are some of your fav parametric eq settings?

say for fingerstyle, or thumpin'

lets see what u got
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    for a thick, fat bottom end, r&b kinda sound, goose the 40Hz range, pull back a little in the 500hz to let the other instruments breath a little, and add some airyness at the 6K range.

for a punchie, rock fingerstyle tone, goose the 180-250 range. again, 4-9k range for sparkle

and for goodness sakes, leave the "enhance" knob off. while at home, its nice to turn on, on gig, it literally makes you disappear.
  3. I leave mine flat and let my basses and fingers control the type of tone I want. :bassist: :bassist:
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I 3rd that emotion. FLAT, 0 enhance, tone your bass, then wail.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I used the enhance anywhere from flat to about 9 o'clock. For more bass i would sometimes turn the bass up a bit (maybe 1 o'clock) but at the same time i would turn the 1st parametric eq to the lowest frequency (31 Hz?) down by the same amount (11 o'clock) to conserve amplifier power. Usually a slight increase on the treble knob was sufficient for a brighter tone, but for more presence i would bump a bit somewhere between 2 K - 5 K. Filling out the mids in an aggie 112 cab required a bit more experimentation with the middle parametric control and seemed to vary a little bit depending upon the room. Overall, flat was the way to go. anything above 2 o'clock or below 10 o'clock was too much as the eq is very powerfull.
  6. Agreed. Herein lies the beauty, or curse (depending on your point of view) of Eden heads.

I say beauty. :cool:
  7. WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, that's the best thing to do with the Eden layout. its highly versatile, and still one of the most well voiced EQ sections out there.

well, not quite...

the 40hz is IME one of the more "punchier" feeling of the low freq's. its where the aguilar and Sadowsky preamps are centered for the lows knob, varied only by their particular "Q".

but most importantly, the 500Hz relieves a crowded midrange to again give room for the other instruments to breath. its a not a drastic cut, but just enough to let things breath a little.

also, again, this setting worked best for my R&B like settings, where a big bottom end, and sparkly high end bodes great for slap playing. it has also worked great for my R&B gigs, cause usually volume isnt as much a competition as it'd be in a rock setting, where i wholeheartedly agree, that the smiley face has never worked for me.

IMHO, the enhance knob suffers from the "wrong" smiley face setting, while my "smiley" face setting does not. ;) also, like ivan pointed out, its all about experimenting within your stage mix to find that setting. IME, this has worked great.

so, as EVERYTHING on this board, YMMV. :smug: