Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EDEN WT Trivia

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stiooch, Jan 21, 2004.

1. stiooch

stiooch

Jan 21, 2004
    North Italy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi there,
    here's stiooch from Italy!

While I'm waiting for my new EDEN wt-600 to be to delivered from the USA (bought on ebay) I'll be really thankful if anyone can answer some questions I have (PLEASE...).

1. Does anyone know how to switch the internal voltage from 120 to 230. Is somewhere a manual or some faq/walkthrough to do that (I already have the manual from eden website)?

2. Is it possible to use the head as a poweramp only (feature present on SVT3Pro)? In that case what input is to be used: Aux, effect return?

3.Is it possible to use the amp with just one cabinet @8 or @4 ohms (using i.e. just left channel) instead of plugging two? What combo of ohms and channel can be used?

4. Is it risky to plug a 8 ohms 400W cabinet in bridge mode (max power of wt600 is 600 watts)?

Thanks a lot,
    any help really appreciated!

CIAO!

:D :bassist: :D

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Not you again! ;)

Alex

3. stiooch

stiooch

Jan 21, 2004
    North Italy
    Ahahahahahhahahah!!!!!

You know, I followed your suggestion and tried to forward my questions to this forum also!

Fantastic site indeed!

Have a great day Alexander,

see ya

Stuu:D

4. If you haven't already received the answers from Eden....

The WT600 can be used as a power amplifier by plugging into the Left Stereo Effects Return. This connects just before the Master Volume. If you plug into the Mono Effects Return, you can use the Eden's EQ section too.

There is no problem only using either channel alone. For single channel operation, any 4 ohm or higher impedance speaker may be used. If you bridge, Eden recommends 8 ohms minimum load.

A 400W 8 ohm cabinet is fine in bridge mode, that is _if_ you are careful not to feed it too much power. Most speakers do well with a more powerful amplifier which provides more clean power without clipping. A 300W amplifier clipping into your 400W cabinet would be worse for your speakers than 600W of clean power. Just make sure that you pay attention to your speakers to see that they aren't being overdriven.

5. stiooch

stiooch

Jan 21, 2004
    North Italy
    Thanks for your reply Kevin,
    unfortunately it's almost 6 week that I'm waiting for the WT-600 to be delivered from the USA! :crying: :crying:

6. You can use the right effects return also, in fact you can use the WT600 as a stereo power amplifier by using both. :cool:

7. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I do not know why eden made their heads like this but if it is one of their stereo models like you 600 you can not bridge it into 4 ohms? But you can run a 4 ohm load on each side id stereo if you want or and 8 ohm load on each side.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Bridging into 8 ohms effectively runs both channels at 4 ohms each. When David and Co. designed the amp, they chose the power supply construction/rating and output transistor rating based on the minimum impedance that they state.

Dave probably figured that few bassists would want to carry around 4, 4 ohm cabinets (to run the amp at 2 ohms/channel) so why not just give them a powerful, rugged and reliable amp at impedances that it would normally see...

9. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    It still makes no sense though? Reason I say that is that you would need to have 2 4 ohm cabs for stereo to get full potential or 4 8 ohm cabs for stereo full potential, Then plus needing one 8 ohm cab for bridging purposes? Would it not be better to be able to bridge into 4 ohms? Yes is what I think. That is not economical at all!

10. I bridge my WT600 into an 8 ohm SWR GIII. It's a good match.

I don't care if it makes sense, or is considered economical, because it just sounds really good.... :D

11. True.

I suggested the Left Stereo Return because it will drive both channels, while the the Right Return only drives the right channel.

I've run my WT500 as a stereo amplifier a few times. Last Saturday I used it as a power amp driven by an Ampeg SVP-PRO. Great preamp for rock tones!

12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Wow, this is my exact setup! Sweet, sweet, rig.

Don't tell me you play a Sterling through it....

13. I remember your rig in 'show us your amps' thread. :cool: I posted a shot of mine too. No Sterling (although I wouldn't object :D )
    -b

14. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Well that is really all that matters anyways right. But so if you ever decide to get another cab. What would you get? Another 8 ohm cab? Then you run a parallel load into the amp for 4 ohms? Or you run a 8ohm cab a side getting practically nothing out of the amp? It still makes no sense guy?

15. If I wanted to run an additional cabinet (with the GIII), I cannot bridge per Eden's recommendation. So I'd run each channel individually. I'd run one amp channel to the GIII and one amp channel to the additional cabinet, regardless if it were 4 or 8 ohms. There is a balance control on the amp to adjust the difference between the two.

200 watts per 8 ohm cabinet x2, 300 watts per 4 ohm cabinet x 2, may seem like 'practically nothing' in today's scene of megawatt bass rigs. But when you plug it all in, turn it all on, use it as intended, don't overtax anything, and it sounds wonderfull... the numbers no longer matter. :)

16. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Thats all good but you are still only utilizing 400 watts of the amps 600 watt capability? Its all good man. I have had three Eden heads and the WT-400 has been the best sounding and flexible and most pwerful out of them all a 500 and 800! Good talking to you bro.

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    No-one has tackled this question yet. I'm a little worried about this one............

18. I'd bet my unemployment check that it's as simple as:

1) opening the case
    2) resoldering a transformer tap
    3) marking the "220v" designator by the rear AC receptacle

Hmm..... maybe I've just discovered my next career.

:D

Consult with Eden Electronics for the proper conversion procedure. The preceding information was purely speculation.
    ;)

19. Likewise, bro!!! :bassist:

20. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I just received my new EDEN WT-800 head today !!!

I had a 1994 version in the past and the new Heads are superior in my opinion as they are less noisy, better pots controls, inputs pads, compression, etc. And, the Tone is to die for.

I run the head on bridge mode using a EDEN 410 XLT 8 ohms cab. This is plenty of power and less stress on my back, using one cabinet.