Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT1000 Any Users/Comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by voionmaa, Jul 3, 2002.

1. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Trying to decide on a power amp as part of purchasing a new rig. Currently using a BassPOD as the pre-amp and am pretty set on getting a Ganz Banz 410 cab. Need some help with the power amp selection.

I am Borrowing a Crown PowerTech 2.1 and it sounds pretty good. Was wondering is a "bass amp" company like Eden might have a better solution. There aren't any Eden dealers close to me, so I can't borrow one. Does anyone have any ideas on how the Eden WT1000 would sound in comparison to the Crown?

thanks
    mark

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm using a WT-1000 and love it to death. Gobs of usable power, nice and warm, tight lows. I really dig the tone control on the power amp too, it makes adjusting for a boomy or twinky room a snap, just grab one knob and turn. I haven't compared it directly to the Crown amp, so I can't give a pro/con comparison.

3. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Gard

thanks for the info. I am playing a Washburn XB945 with Bartolini PU. The Washburn puts out a lot of low end and I'm trying to get a little more defined sound. Currently using the bridge PU with the low and some mids cut. Seems to be working. Would the Eden add to my low end muddiness? I've recently switched string types from Rotosounds to DR's.

Any suggestions?

thanks
    mark

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Mark -

No, as I said the lows on the WT-1000 are very tight, so it won't make things get "boomy". If it starts to "boom" on you, you can always take the tone knob and roll it toward the treble side. Good luck!

5. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    gard

what type of amp is the WT1000? Is it a FET only or tube/FET? Also, I think you indicated you have 5 string Warwick Thumb. Having not played one, can you describe the sound it gives out? I've heard they're pretty sweet sounding.

thanks again
    mark

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Gard is right. These amps are totally together. They can be used in stereo or dual mono 2 x 450 @4ohms each, or bridged mono at 1000 at 4 ohms. But they weigh 28 lbs, build quality is Superior!! and have stereo "tone" controls. Oh, built in limiter.
    And the fan is quiet.

It is a solid state only amp.

You will be very happy with this amp.
    I use a WP100 preamp with a SansAmp BDDI (in front) of the preamp for more grunt.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    RockBobby covered the solid state issue, it's an FET amp.

Not sure about the rest of your question, if it's about the sound of the power amp, I've already described it, I think. If it's about my owning a Thumb, I don't. I own a Zon Sonus Special fretless 5, similar in tone to the Thumb, but without the monster neck, 12 lb weight, and neck-dive from hell. ;)

8. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Gard

thanks for the info. Found a used one in great shape and bought it. You're right, the bottom end is really tight and full. In the process of getting a new Warwick Thumb Bass 5 as well. Looking forward to getting the whole thing together. Again, thanks for all the insight.

mark