Eden WT1000 vs. "regular" Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    To make a long story short, what I really want is the new Euphonic iamp 800. But I've been waiting for it to come out since February, and every time the new deadline comes up, they push it back another 8 weeks, and the whole cycle starts over again. If they push it past the new year, my patience will have run out.

The best thing I've played through so far is an Eden WT1000. Solid state, plenty o' power, and some nice features. What I'm wondering is, what's the real difference between this and a "regular" dedicated power amp? For the price of the Eden, which puts out about 1000 watts bridged, couldn't I get one of the new QSC PLX series poweramps with about twice the power, or do I have my figures wrong? And if my figures are right, instinct tells me that there must be some difference in sound to make the Eden more attractive to bassists. I mean, I've heard it, and it sounded killer, but I've not had the chance to plug my bass into any "regular" power amps, so I don't know how it would compare. Has anybody had the chance to compare the Eden with a "standard" poweramp? Any reviews from the trenches?
  2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I just got back from my gig. It's funny you asked. I am using a vintage SVT with a D-410xlt and a D-210xlt. Te amp started makng microphonics, so I had to switch to my backup (Navigator/WT1000) Now the Eden don't sound like tubes, so I put a Sansamp BDDI in front of the amp and it sounds real good. The power of the Eden is more controlled than the SVT, but understand the SVT is louder (I am running the Eden at 2 x 8 ohm cabs- about 280 watts/side).
    I had a PLX2402 and did not like it as much as the Eden, but I was using a 2-15 xlt and a 2-10xlt. The QSC was more tranny sounding and not as punchy as the Eden. I brought it back when the Eden WT1000 came in.
    You hear the crap that an amp is an amp is an amp. I think the Edens are voiced, or if not, they are geared for the bass signal.
    When you compare tranny watts to tranny watts, you need TEN times the power to double the volume, all thing equal.
    So if the QSC is double the power, it won't be much louder.
    And for a band (except like Sabbath or equal) the Eden is plenty powerful.
    P.S. I'm assuming you are going to use effecient speaker cabs. If you are getting powe hungry cabs, you won't be that loud anyway.
    Just my opinion and 2 cents. Get the Eden. I know nothing about Euphonic.
    bassman74 likes this.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Another happy WT-1000 owner.

I have a Demeter HBP-1 preamp in front of mine, it's very clear and punchy, lots of good lows and plenty of warmth. I have used the same preamp in front of several different PA-style power amps, and found that it sounds good, but not nearly as good as it does with the WT - too "sterile". I honestly think Bob is right, the WT is "voiced" for bass, of course I could be nuts...

Something else I love about it is the tone control for each channel on the power amp. It lets you quickly adapt your tone to a room without noodling with your preamp settings.

Like Bob, I'm running my amp with two 8 ohm cabs right now (dual-mono, D-410XST one one side, D210MBX on the other), and find that even at that low output, it's plenty loud.

And Chris, I know you're thinking about EA cabs. Unlike Bob, I have run them with the WT-1000. Good combination!
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I tried to do a search for Eden's site so I could check out the specs, but came up with nothing. Does anybody have a link to same? I keep coming up with a site that sells shoes. :rolleyes: :D
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks. Something curious: at their site, they list the power at 4 Ohms and at 2 Ohms, but there's no mention of 8 Ohms anywhere. What's up with that, is this a misprint?

Model WT-1000
    Price $1190.00
    Size 17"x3.5"x14.5"
    Weight 28 lbs.
    Distortion Less Than .1%
    Frequency Response 10 hz-25khz +/- 2 db

Power @ 4 Ohms = 2 x 425 Watts
    Power @ 2 Ohms = 2 x 500 watts

Why doesn't it say "8 ohms" anywhere?
  6. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Our gigs are usally smaller rooms. So most of the time my Eden CXC-1015 is just fine (after adding the attenuator to the horn). But last weekend we had a larger room so I hauled out my Eden 1000 and my 8 ohm XST. I bridged into 8 ohms and got the pre signal thru the xlr jack on the back of the CXC. I tuned the amp ever so slightly for more bottom end and used my CXC for the mids and higher end stuff. It was great but I'm a middle aged bass player who likes lighter stuff, which the XST or 1000 are not. But it sounded 100%
    Good luck with your decision.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Eden 1000 will be less muffled sounding in a rig than one of their integrated amps since most of that Eden coloration comes from the pre. But if you like the Eden "color," the EA won't have it, of course. You know this already, I assume. You're right: not everyone wants clarity, that's why you hear the complaint of "sterile." If you want the clarity that an EA integrated amp can give you, wait for the iamp800.

You can do way better in a separate power amp than the Eden 1000. Stewart, for example. Lighter and way more powerful. The 2.1, which I recently purchased, is dual mono, puts out 2100 watts mono-bridged into 4 ohms and weighs 17 lbs. $799 new. Clean as a whistle. And no, it's not "voiced" for the Eden tone, either! Thankfully.

Lastly, I've owned a lot of Eden gear and have just about sold it all. At one time, I had four Eden cabs and two Eden amps. While I thought it sounded sorta OK with passive Fenders and the like, I really disliked the muffled, mid-pumped sound with my active, extended range instruments. I think Eden is a good choice (it's certainly reliable) if you're in love with the sound but it's a very poor choice if clarity is anywhere on your list of tone priorities.
  8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Chris, just thought I'd let you know I've been talking to Overwater today about EA and Bergantino products. The iAmp 800 is a bit delayed and will be available in - you guessed it - 8 weeks! ;)
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    So to your ears, the WT1000 still has that signature "Eden" sound even though it doesn't have the Eden tube pre? I played the WT400 and 800 amps at the same place and HATED them for DB...but the WT1000 was a different story. Of course, I didn't get to A/B it with any "regular" power amps. That Stewart sounds interesting. Hmmm....
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Why did you buy so many Eden products if the best sound you could get out of them was "sorta ok"??

brad cook
  11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Digme does have a point there.
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Because I have gone through most of the major rigs on the market at one time or another and several of the Eden cabs were used at a great price. I more or less liked the Eden stuff with passive basses, as I said. That's no longer something I'm doing and, again as I stated, the Eden stuff doesn't do it for me with my active basses.
  13. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    I bought a WT1000 a few months ago and had a chance to A/B it against a Crown Powertech Amp. The Crown sounded good, but sterile when compared to the Eden. I am using a BassPod as the pre-amp and love it. The WT1000 has a lot more low end punch. I am playing a Warwick Thumb and using the pick ups in passive mode. Really give that growly sound.
  14. The only way to accurately compare would be to disengage the tone circuits on the Eden. They may have some preamp-type circuitry in the driver stage to give some colouration. The actual power amp stages should have a minimal of colouration. Unless you really want the colouration from those tone controls, there isn't anything that would make the WT-1000 any more "bass-specific" than any other power amp. Most solid state power amps do very little to colour the input signal, so my suggestion would be to try out a bunch of different power amps and see which ones you like best. If you can't live without the tone controls buy the Eden, but otherwise, I expect you could get an amp that performs as well as the Eden without paying the premium for the Eden name. Some suggestions: QSC PLX or RMX, Stewart, Crown Microtech or Macrotech, Crest.