Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT300 @ 2 Ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by virtual.ray, Sep 5, 2001.

1. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I was in a local store trying out cabs with my little WT300 the other day,and I hooked up a 4 ohm SWR Triad and a 4 ohm Ampeg 410 hlf at the same time.I played loudly on this setup for about 10-15 minutes (the store was pretty empty.) It sounded awesome,but one of the salespeople said that Edens shouldn't be run at 2 ohms as was the case here. The amp didn't seem unusually warm to the touch afterwards and it still works fine today.Any thoughts?

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd say that's an excellent way to fry the amp since the minimum rated load is 4ohms. The fact that you didn't is probably pure luck.

3. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    There is a good reason why the manufacturers said, "4 ohms minimum". Better not try it again, unless you're creating room for your next amp.

4. The only two WT Eden amps that will run at 2 ohms are the DC-210XLT Metro 400 combo which will put out 600w RMS at that impendence, (it also runs at 8 & 4 ohms happily) and the WT-1000 power amp. (At least that’s what Eden told me when I had a similar query.)

Strange that the WT 400 stand-alone head doesn't go down to 2 ohms as I thought it was same amp as in the 400 metro combo. If they also made this version to run at 2 ohms I would have definitely bought one.

I got over the problem of running two 4 ohms cabs be making a series cable, thanks to Mikey D’s help.

About 30 mins work and well worth the effort, and to my ears, it doesn’t sound any quieter even though it’s only running at 8 ohms. Of course this could have something to do with the total speaker mass of 3 x 15’s, a 1 x10, 2 x 6’s plus the Eden tweeter and Mesa bullet horn.

Spike.

5. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks for your input,y'all.

6. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    A note about ratings: While amp shopping I looked at an SWR 750 and noted that it was rated down to 2ohms. The salesguy said "Yeah, but I wouldn't recommend it". My ampeg svt-iv pro is rated at 2 ohms also but I would be nervous running it or any amp at less than 4ohms for any length of time.

7. Wrong! The SWR Bass 750 is rated at 2.67 ohms.

8. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    Well, Excuse Me.:eek:

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    bobaloo, this falls into the irrational fear category! If the amp is rated to run a 2ohm load (Donne's right, the Bass 750 is NOT), you can run a 2 ohm load. Period. The Mesa Boogie 400+, a REAL SVT, etc. There's nothing magical about impedance, it is what it is. If the manufacturer rated minimum load is not gone beyond, you're OK.

10. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    Well, you've got a point there. But, I've been a radar tech in the navy for quite awhile, and I know that if I run my radar at 64dbm rather than 67dbm my power tubes last ALOT longer. Lower impedance means more current which wears tubes out faster. Just because my car redlines at 6500 rpm doesn't mean I can run it at 6000 all the time with no adverse consequences.

11. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I run my Bass 750 at 2.67 ohms and it gets hot very quick, but it says in the manual that the aluminum front is causing this, I sure hope so....

12. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    Out of curiosity, what kind(s) of cabinet(s) do you run to get exactly 2.67 ohms?

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I hear ya, amigo. But I believe most cab manufacturers are reasonably prudent when establishing minimum loads. Therefore, I'm not sure your analogies are on the money. Obviously, playing through speakers at maximum wattage and minimum impedance would be a combination that could be expected to shorten speaker life. But minimum impedance loads in and of themselves won't cause you problems...in my experience. But you know what Blind Faith said, "Do what you like!"

14. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I use a SWR Big Bertha 2X15(4 ohms) and a Goliath III 4X10(8oms). A 4 ohm cabinet is like two 8 ohm cabs, plus the other = 3 8 ohm cabinets. That divided by 3=2.67ohms. (Well, 2.66666666666667 rounded up....) :)

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    How you like that BigBertha, phogchris? I've been using an Eden D215XL with my Boogie 400+ some and was wondering about the Bertha for a somewhat "leaner" sounding pair of 15's. I own the Bass 750, too and find it to be a great amp. I run mine through a Goliath Sr. and it's great for definition and punch.

16. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I like it for fingerstyle alot, but when I slap the low B, it bottoms out pretty easy, I need to try to set the limiter a little higher I think...I would like to try the Eden 2X15, but I have this thing where i really like to have my equipment match, silly me....

:D

17. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    Let's see. If I remember my basic electronics theory resistance or impedance in parallel would be:

1 1
    ___ + ____

Z Z

Where Z is the impedance in ohms