Eden WT300 or SWR Bass350?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, Apr 12, 2003.

1. SWR

17 vote(s)
  2. Eden

31 vote(s)
  1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    As I seek to create a more modular system, I'm in the market for a used amp head. Has anyone compared the two side by side? Does anyone prefer Eden over SWR or vice-versa? Has anyone tried any of these with Avatar cabs?

I'm sure that Ampeg, EA and others make a fine amp, but I am trying to stay in the under $500 range for a tube preamp head that pumps out at least 300 @ 4Ohms, 200 @ 8Ohms and weighs in at under 20lbs.

Any thoughts?
  2. JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey

I would go with an Eden WT400. 400 watts @4 ohms and something like 220 watts @ 8 ohms. I have one and it is a great little amp at under 15 pounds. I use it with an Ampeg 8x10 cab @ 4 ohms and an Eden XLT210 @ 8 ohms for smaller stuff. With an 8 ohm cab you can always add another, which is what i hope to do at some point. It may cost a bit more than the 300, but I think you will appreciate the extra power down the road.

3. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I've played both heads, and I prefer the Eden soundwise.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You might be able to pick up a used Mesa Boogie Walkabout for that price. I just bought one in mint condition for a bit more.

However, between SWR and Eden, I'd go Eden, myself. Again, as with everything, they will each have their own sound, and it will be up to your own ears to decide which works best for you. Of course, I bought my Walkabout without auditioning one, but then I already had a general idea of what the competition (and larger Boogie heads) sounded like.

Later, Tom.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have an Eden WT300 and I tried it up against loads of other amps including SWR for several hours in the Bass Centre before choosing this as the best - best tone vs. weight/cost equation.

The staff in the London Bass Centre are pretty honest and their view was that Eden was a step up in quality from the others - I didn't buy from them so they had no need to convince me! ;)

I recently took it to a repairer and he was very impressed with the high quality of all the components and exceptional build quality.
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    A slight sideline - Bruce, what are your thoughts (in any) on using that amp (the Eden) for, say, guitars and keyboards (e.g. Rhodes), as well as bass?
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it would work OK for keyboards - maybe too 'clean' for guitar - depends on what sound you like?

It only has one real input - there is an Aux at the back - which may work against it being used for multiple instuments?
  8. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Is there any word out as to changes in quality now that Eden has been bought by another company?
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've also got an Eden WT-300. Excellent head. I took it over other preamps I've tried (even though it's heavier than a preamp), because it's got a deeper, wooly sound. Some call it muffled, others call it warm, I prefer to think of it as the Special Sauce. The SWR is much clearer sounding, more Hi-Fi than the Eden, but some people think it sounds brittle.

Basically, the Eden is a warmer, tubier amp than the SWR, but the SWR has more bit and cut.

I dig the Eden.
  10. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm a big SWR fan and I've never played a WT-300, so naturally, I'd say go with the Eden...

:eek: Whaaaa?

Seriously, I have played through a WT-800 and thought it was a great amp (still like my SM-900 better, but that's me). The WT-300 gets praise as one of the real 'benchmark' amps out there. On the SWR side of things, it's really the SM-400/500 that qualifies as the benchmark sort of amp more than the 350. I don't know if a used SM-400 would fit your cost/weight constraints, but I think that might be the more interesting comparison.

My 2¢...
  11. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, I wasn't really thinking of using it for multiple instruments at once - I was just thinking of having one amp that I could use for keyboards, guitar, or bass. Until recently, the idea of doing this hadn't dawned on me. And it's much cheaper than having a guitar amp, a bass amp, and a keyboard amp.

And if it is feasible, which it may well be, I reckon it's a pretty good way to go.

I'm wondering which instrument represents the bottleneck here? Bass?

The Rhodes doesn't really, I think - it sounds good through most speakers - and as long as the amp doesn't colour the sound too much (like a guitar amp does) - then the Rhodes will be fine.
  12. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I do not know as far as amps go. However, I just picked-up a new 8ohm 210XLT and have noticed no decrease in product quality.
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'd go with the SWR Bass 350, I love mine... I have used it with an EA VL 110, My current BagEnd 1X12 and with the SWR Triad... It is simple, Easy to dial one in, Light and that chrome job they did on the last two models kicks A$$!
  14. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I've owned an SM400s and a wt500;now I own a navigator + a WT1000.

Even if I don't know Eden's smaller heads so well,
    I say " GO WITH EDEN!!!!!" for 2 reasons

1) SWR tone has a lack of mids/low-mids that gives a too much smooth attack when playing fingerstyle:I always abused of my dbx to compensate this problem.
    Eden are so much more versatile than SWR,since they deliver so much more tones.
  15. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I have a WT-300 and an SM400S. They're different flavors. I used the Eden with a Carvin 210 for over a year, but recently switched to the SWR with a Goliath II 410.

The Eden doesn't have the juice to power the 8 ohm 410 the way the SWR's 400 watts at 8 ohms does.

16. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I'd go with the SWR. Eden's just don't seem to have any bite on the high end side of things to me.
  17. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    With the Eden, a couple of clicks of the enhance knob brings in lots of bite and really tones down the mids. It's really a matter of taste with these two companies that somehow keep getting compared. They so different, top to bottom.

18. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Personally I avoid anything made by SWR. They kill people, and I mean that literally. I have seen several different SWR heads for lack of a better techincal explanation BLOWUP on stage. Catching fire, blowing all 4 10's in the cabinet and SERIOUSLY electrocuting the bassist who was unfortunate enough to touch it at that instant. I know one guy who was hospitalized after being pitched off the stage from the arc that came off the head. Eden have been plagued with reliability troubles, they break down alot, but at least you'll l.ive to tell the tale.
  19. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Holy Crap!
    I'll wear rubber gloves next time I play an SWR.
  20. i call shenanigans. you have seen not one, not two, but SEVERAL swr heads physically explode onstage?