1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden WT300 "vs" Ampeg svt450

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ploonter, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Ploonter

Ploonter Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    Just looking for someone who has experience with both, or general discussion on the pros and cons of either.
    I have researched both as much as I could online, and now, I would like some "candid Talkbass bantor"!

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Ploonter

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    Anyone?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Love Ampeg, not a fan of the 450. Sounds too much like an Ampeg trying not be an Ampeg to me. Eden amps and I have never gotten along too well, either. Too clangy for my tastes. If it were me, I'd keep shopping around.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Also not an Eden fan, and as much as I like Ampegs Pro gear, that one is a pass.

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The SVT 450 is quite cold, sterile, and grindy sounding. It works ok for some, but for me, it was a bad sounding head.

The Eden sounds like an Eden and will serve you well if you like that tone.

If you are looking for a low wattage head, I think you are better looking at used micro heads like the Genz Benz Shuttle, the Aguilar Tone Hammer, Markbass and many others.

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Not familiar with the 450 but have owned and gigged both the SVT350 and an Eden WT-300 (which was then factory-upgraded to 400 specs). The Eden blew the Ampeg away and is still with me 18 years later. ...not sure about the SVT 450 though, or how much better it would be than a 350.

7. Ploonter

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    Wow! Thanks everyone-
    Some very useful, knowledgable experiences and opinions to go along with my "dry" research.

8. Ploonter

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    OK, let's change this up a little.
    Assume the choices are Eden WT300, Ampeg SVT450 or Hartke 7000,
    and the only consideration is which one would make "the best" back up head to my Markbass LMIII-
    Experiences, opinions?

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Ampeg SVT450 is just a B2RE in a SVT head enclosure. I have owned one and would not recommend it to anyone. It just doesn't sound good.

Do you have a line on those 3 amps is that why they are the only option?

10. the Ampegs that dont have3 tubes in them should just be dumped in a landfill.
    Dreadful flat tone. Neither the clarity or the impact that you should get from being solidstate. Those heads do get loud, but somehow totally do not "cut".

11. Ploonter

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    Again, thanks!
    It is interesting to me how many "of us" dislike the SVT450.
    In general, Ampeg makes many fine products, but this particular one is "not like the others". It makes me want to go play through it to see what all the fuss is about! lol

fenderhutz-Those 3 amps are in my price range, available now, (at 2 different GC stores in my area, and a local CL ad.), and, (I think), satisfy my requirements, (watts, ohms, etc.).

Note: It is my intention to go play through each of these......So far, I have tried, and liked, the WT300. That being said, I have concerns if 300 watts is "enough", and well, the "clangy" thing....but I think I can "work around that". lol

12. walkerci

walkerci

Mar 7, 2006
    Orlando, FLA
    I don't like "clangy" tones either, but it is very easy to dial out on Edens. The tone stack is very versatile and powerful.
    IMHO, if you like a more aggressive or old school sound, then that is not your amp.

13. Ploonter

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    Thanks Walkerci-
    Do you know or remember the settings that "dial out" the "clang"? Just to give me a head start.

14. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The enhance knob can be an ally or an enemy. Finding the sweet spot helps. I had a couple Eden amps over the years.

15. Just to be clear, where are you located, and what is your budget?

Also what cab are you going to be using?

16. Ploonter

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    Thanks again!
    I will start "fiddlin'" with it after work-

17. Ploonter

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    I am located in Georgia, the Canton area.
    I'm looking at the 3 amps I listed earlier in the post. They are all available between $200-$300.
    My current cab is a custom job, it's "boutique", I guess, whatever that means....lol-
    It is a 2 12, E.D. speakers, 700 watts @4 ohms. (LMIII goes through this)
    I will be picking up, (perhaps), a Hartke 2 15 "Sub Module", (interesting cab), on Friday off CL, which I believe will match up nicely with the WT300, as it is 500 watts, (might be 400), @4 ohms.

18. Find the right sale and this is in your budget. It is also head and shoulders better in tone to the other amps you have listed IMHO.

When I went shopping for a micro I sat down with the LM III and the PF. I did not walk out of there with the markbass.

19. Ploonter

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    Thanks "Peavey"-
    I will go check one of those out, if GC or SA has one-
    Hey, I just noticed you are in MI-
    I grew up in Romeo.

20. I have driven through there once or twice, but mostly stay on the west side of the state, or in the UP.