Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eden wt300 vs. ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Nov 23, 2000.

1. a two-fold question this one:

first of all, my Ampeg B2R is falling apart, with no load it produces a nasty hiss into the cabinet. the hiss is also there when using the DI post-eq. anyone have any ideas where to look? it used to work 100% sweet, and i've pulled the whole thing apart, cleaned each jack, looking for burnt components, dry tracks, etc, but no joy at all.

secondly, if this head ends up being too expensive to fix completely, there's an Eden WT300 for sale here as new (equiv to $640USD) i'm tempted to replace the B2R with.

since Eden gear has really never made it into NZ (Ampeg too to a lesser degree), I have no idea how a WT300 would stack up. i'm running into a 4ohm SVT410hlf cabinet. what character do Eden's have? similar hi-fi sound to SWR (i've also got an SWR WM15), or can they still provide the sort of "chunk" that pulled me towards Ampeg in the first place?

thanks wise people!

2. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Hey Nil,
    I've got the same exact rig that you do.

I'm not entirely sure if it's problem with the B2r ... turning the crossover off or very low took care of the hiss problem that I had. The tweeter in that box (SVT410hlf) is very sensitive, a little goes a long way.

For small gigs & rehearsal I've got a smaller 2x10 cabinet with no crossover. It hisses but not at an irritating level.
    I've never had it serviced so I could'nt say whether it's a real problem or not. (I've heard other amps hiss worse.)BTW I'm very partial to the rig that I've got.

Eden makes some nice stuff ... I would plug any new head into your existing cabinet just to make sure the sound that your looking for is there.

Best Wishes

3. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Cool, another NZ'er :D

Well, I see what you mean about Ampeg and Eden not being here..I've seen nothing but Peavey, Fender and rarely SWR..
    But I've heard NOT A SINGLE BAD THING about Eden if that helps....

4. yertle: good ol' Tauranga by the sea, eh? i used to live in Rotorua for 11 years b4 i moved to Dorkland to work. played a gig there recently! (@ the St Armand on the strand)

back to the hissing fit; i've ruled out the cabinet (it does the same thing into an old crusty JBL), and the speaker out (same hiss out of the post-eq DI, and a ground fizz from the pre-eq - where's the ground lift? bad ampeg!).

well i've finally found the NZ importer, and surprisingly they're keen on looking at my amp (it's a 110v US model - most shops told me they wouldn't be interested since it's non-NZ). maybe there's some hope? :)

back to the WT300, what do they sound like?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The WT-300 is a clean, tight, smilie sound. I think a little fuller than the typical SWR sound. The semi-parametric EQ is superb. I'm not really hip to Ampeg, but my guess is that the Eden is somewhat different, because you don't find too many people who like both brands. It's usually a strong preference for one or the other.

From my personal view, I like the Eden so much I'm not tempted at all to try Ampeg, Aguilar, EBS or other high-end gear. If you really like the Ampeg sound, you may not care for Eden, though.

6. I used to own an Ampeg B2R and now I own an Eden WT-600.
    I sold the Ampeg 3 months after buying it then I went on to another amp before I bought the Eden. The Eden is so much fuller sounding than the Ampeg, the Eden's EQ is more powerful yet easier to adjust and the Eden brings out the instruments true tone as opposed to the over colored sounding Ampeg.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a WT300, simply because it is the best amp I could find. I tried loads of amps side by side into the same cab in the Bass Centre in London and it was just the best - "different class" to virtually everything else. I suppose I should also say that I was looking for something that I could lift on my own and the WT300 is very portable. I'm sure there are some huge monsters out there that are louder and meaner (and need a crew of roadies!!), but for sheer sound quality vs. portability I couldn't find anything to beat the Eden.

8. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Nil,just in case your not aware of it,Ampegs have a 5 year transferable warrenty so even if you bought the head used it will stll be covered if its not that old.Check the cab,bass,cables as well.You never know.Good luck!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes but the postage for shipping an amp from NZ to US and back will probably cost more then the Eden! I wanted to mention that the price you quote is a real "steal" - even more reason to get this!

10. I had an SVT-III and now have a WT-300.

The Ampeg was rather strange: it had the SVT sound, but to an extremely limited extent (power tubes color tone much, much more than preamp tubes). Nevertheless, I liked the tone, but the 200W@8ohms power rating was an exaggeration that Al Gore would be proud of.

The Eden is much louder at the same setting on the volume knob, has a whole lot more tonal control, and has a much warmer sound. I have recorded direct with it and it thickens up my bass, which normally has very thin tone thanks to light-gauge stainless steel roundwounds and weak pickups. I am most pleased with it; it keeps up with a blazing 2x12 100W guitar amp quite nicely.

11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    id go with the Eden.. much better quality and sound.. the ampeg(crate) isnt that good.. i played through a svt4 pro and personally.. didnt think it put out 1600 watts.. boring tone.. and way over priced.. the eden is bad ass.. ampeg stuff isnt what the price makes it seem to be..

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Go for the Eden. They are more honest IMHO on their power ratings. A WT300 is way louder than a B5R's claimed 350 watts @ 4 ohms, I have A/B'd them a couple of times, once through an Eden 4x10, once through an Ampeg 4x10, and the Eden was noticeably louder.

I don't know how Ampeg determines their power ratings, but they are a little on the optimistic side IMHO, or else Eden understates theirs by quite a bit.

13. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    exactly.. the ampeg(crate) amps must be over rating their amps output... hmmm.. but if the ampeg(crate) is what u like get the ampeg(crate).. just the eden is WAY better

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

GO FOR THE EDEN!!! I've had a Ampeg amp in the past(SVT ProIII) and it was good but I prefer the EDEN(WT-400) over it by far. The Eden seems alot louder, Ive played many different styles thru it cover (RHCP, 311, newer metal etc) and originals (similiar to Long Beach Dub Allstars and Liquid soul).

The price you mentioned is a really good price. Try it out with your cab. If It works get it!!
    Most people I know leave the EQ close to flat.

15. I'd reccommend the Eden over any of the SLM Ampegs. Now an old SVT is a completely different story!:D The WT300 might be a little under powered depending on the type of gigs and the sizes of the venues you're playing, but it's a nice sounding head. reliability is pretty good. I've seen the odd bad solder joint and that's about it. The SLM Ampegs haven't had great reliability.