Eden WT300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lsu921, Nov 10, 2003.

1. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Is it just me, or are these the most overrated brand ever?
  2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Please enlighten the question a bit. I own WT800 and 2 410XLT's and wouldn't trade them for anything.
  3. Compared to what??

Seriously... not many amps are in the same league. (ready for battle here, gents..)

4. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    its just you.....
    there not my favourite, but there definately not over-rated.
  5. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I have yet to play through anything that I enjoy as much as my Eden head. If you're not into the sound, that's cool. But as far as being the most overrated head ever goes, I'm going to have to go with 'its just you.'
  6. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Another its 'just you'. I dont like Eden cabs and dont think the heads and pre are the best when playing alone, but damm do they sound good in a live setting!
  7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    go away
  8. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I guess it is just me. I find it very underpowered, and the tone is just not very distinct in my opinion. Kinda vanilla.
  9. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Sorry if I came off the wrong way guys. Didn't mean too. That was just my opinion. I played on a less expensive Ampeg that sounded much better, and this head was in the same price range as the Mesa Walkabout, which I think sounds much better. The pastor at my church bought it. He didn't really know what to buy, so he got the most expensive thing they had thinking he was getting the best thing they had.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's just you. Maybe you don't know how to EQ it.
  11. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had the same opinion as you, ever since I first tried a wt-300 in a music store in the early 1990s. The round deep bass tone seemed like it wouldn't really cut through. The other tone controls seemed OK, but I just couldn't see paying a high price for what I was hearing in the music store. As they say, first impressions are they ones that last.

Ever since then, I never gave Eden heads another thought. I've been using various GKs for over 20 years; I recently went to an iAMP 800 which I really like. I love Eden cabs though.

Anyway, I played corporate gig a few weeks ago where the backline had the high powered wt-800 and a 4-10XLT. I went through the sound check and the 45 minute performance with a big grin on my face because that rig sounded so good. It had excellent bottom, punch, and clarity. the mids were warm, and the highs were refined and not harsh. The tone controls were intuitive and easy to work. The tube preamp added a nice warmth and growl to my playing too. It has to be one of the top 5 best sounding rigs that I've ever played.

Granted, they are priced at the higher end of the scale. I have to say that gig changed my mind about Eden heads. I guess they sound marginal when demoed in the music store, but they really come to life on the gig!

So, I'm looking for a used wt-800. anybody got one?
  12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - I've been using mine for the last 4 years or so and while I've thought about changing cabs, I've never wanted another amp.

I took it to a repairer once and he pointed out that all that had happened was a bit of dirt/fluff had got in the effects send-return input! He took it apart and was saying to his friend - wow, look at this. He said to me - this will last forever !!

I also trust the people at the Bass Centre in London and they have loads of gear, but said to me that Eden was a noticable step up in class and I agree totaly, having had loads of other gear in over 20 years - Eden is the best!! :)
  14. Eden's have the guts to cut through almost any situation, I reckon.

I'm not a great fan of their tone (I use a SansAmp Tri-AC in front to add grit and girth) and the preamp tube that does nothing but buffer the input signal (would've been nice if that was put to better use), but my WT800's EQ is so damn good that you can dial in anything you need.

International voltage is handy, the DI is OK, they're light and super-reliable. Oh yeah, they have HEADROOM - 300w is a conservative rating (even Eden sez so).
  15. It's just you but . . .

The WT300 is not that powerful of an amp, and if you're playing an 8 ohm cab, I think a lot of people find that it "tastes great!" but is "less filling!" I've played a couple of Edens, but not gigged with them, and I love the sound, but the eq knobs are kind of funny if you ask me. But for what I payed for them, ($300 for a WT-400 - long story, and $200 for a WT-300 (bought it broken) I have to say they're the best value around!

BTW, I still haven't fixed the 300, I can'tfind the time.

SL (stay low)

16. I love the defined steps for the EQ - easy to recall a setting, and a little more difficult to accidentally nudge.

But, I hate how they never centre correctly in relation to the scale on the front. I can't remember if the pots are panel or PCB mounted (if panel then I guess re-positioning them will fix things...goodness, now i'm answering my own questions).
  17. board mounted pots my friend,

actually the three knobs up top are on their own board I think. But my brain just isn't coming up with a fer sher answer. To quote Brad Johnson -"As always, I could be wrong". What I meant by funny knobs is that the tonal change seems to happen from about 10 oclock to 2 oclock.

But it brings up a gripe of mine. Board mounted jacks. they are so unreliable. Every amp I've fixed with board mounted input jacks needed resoldering or replacement because of the stress of being plugged so many times by bass playing gorillas.

Not that I've fixed so many amps.

You might try just pulling the knobs off and changing the orientation.
  18. Even with repositioning the knobs they never centre correctly. Some knobs point a little to the left, some a little to the right. Just confusing when you're not sure if there really is a cut or boost or whether it's the knob location.

Yeah, 10-2 seems to be the most EQ grunt. Maybe 'cause the EQ is pretty beefy that most cabinets can't respond as well to anything outside of those ranges (yeah? nah? yeah?)
  19. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I bought my Eden gear (a Metro and a 210xlt) over a year ago. The members of the band I am in still comment on how clearly they can hear me in the mix. I usually do not go through the P.A.

Last weekend we played in large convention room in a hotel. When we were doing sound checks, one of the percussionists told me that, even though my volume seemed to be at a comparable level with respect to the rest of the band, he could hear me so much more clearly than any of the other instruments.

Eden gear is great!
  20. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    When I had a WT-300, it sounded great through a 4 ohm 210 cab, but didn't have enough power to do well with an 8 ohm 410.

About the knobs, on mine, the colored centers would turn. No need to pull off the whole knobs, just use a spot of glue to hold the centers steady once they're in the right spot.