Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT400 or Hartke 4000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    OK...I keep trying to find an amp...and I've narrowed it down (a million times).

So, here is the deal...I'm either going to get a Hartke 4000 (for around $500) or an Eden WT400 (for around $1000)...both new.

The thing is, though the Eden is twice as much as the Hartke, I can work out payments so that they are the same monthly, though obviously the Eden loan will be twice as long (and my biggest concern is monthly payments I can afford, rather than just the total cost).

My main question is this...both are rated at 400 watts into 4 ohms...is the Eden worth twice as much as the Hartke? Is there anything obviously better with the Eden than the Hartke? I've played through an Eden Metro I had for awhile and I loved the tone...is the WT400 much better than the Metro (as a head)?

The Eden uses tubes and the Hartke doesn't. Right now I'm leaning towards the Hartke. I've played through a Hartke 3000 and it sounded very good...probably as good as the Metro I had, although I could not do a side by side.

If anyone has any opinions regarding getting one versus the other, I'd like to hear them. I've only my memory to rely on and that was an Eden Metro vs. the Hartke 3000...whereas this is the Eden WT400 vs. the Harkte 4000 (that I can't compare in person).

I've just joined a swing/rockabilly/blues band and I've got a 4 ohm 410 cab and a Cirrus 5 string bass...and I've got GAS. Please assist. :)

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The eden will slay the hartke. get the eden.

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The Eden uses a tube the Hartke doesn't. What kind of cabinet is it? I think the Eden has a bigger range of tone. I played both at NAMM and I liked the Eden better. Nevermind that I own the 800.

My vote Eden.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm using a Peavey 410TXF...350 watts, 700 peak.

I've played alot of heads through this cab and it takes alot of punishment...and this cab is far more efficient than the bigger 412TVX (which I also owned at one time). The 412 needed mucho power before it sounded decent but the 410 sounds great at all volumes.

Although the mids are a little bit much in this cab, I can cut the mids with the amp or my Cirrus's active circuitry.

On the one hand the Hartke 4000 has a D-Bass feature that adds some low end capabilities for my 5 string. But the Eden has tubes and apparently handles frequencies down to 10Hz.

I'm really torn. While the Eden is twice the price, it has a nice simple quality about it...and of course it is an Eden. But then again the Hartke is also simple, but only $500 new...both are 400 watts into my cab.

Oh, the dilemma!!! :)

5. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Every Eden I have played through sounds great with the EQ flat. And every little click adds or takes away a bunch of frequency. What I am trying to say is the EQ has tons of movement. I can't really comment about the Hartke, I haven't played through it.

6. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    You may want to give some thought to the resale value also. I'm not entirely sure what each amp goes for right now but I always look into the resale value of something before buying it.

7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    The Eden is a higher quality amp where the Hartke is on the lower end (no disrespect to Hartke I’ve owned and played them and like them) I would go with the Eden if I had the money.

8. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    I'd go for a secondhand 550 ....the extra headroom is always handy.

IMO 400watt amps seem to always be not quite loud enough .......like, you seem to always have to push them uncomfortably hard to fill any kind of decent sized room with poor acoustics.

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Actually I have never had a problem with amps that are at least 200 watts or more.

The 400 watts is more for headroom for me. I've played with 1200 watt power amps and I've played 200 watt heads. I've played in big arenas and small clubs and everything in between. 200 watts on up is sufficient, provided one has a PA to play through (which I have always had and my current band does as well).

I'm still leaning more towards the Harkte...but something about the Eden is drawing me to it. :)

Yet I still need more info and opinions. I would love to try them out side by side...but my only option is past experience (I've played through an Eden Metro and I've played through a Hartke 3000, though not side by side) as I will be ordering online as no music store around here sells or services Eden or Hartke (though they do occassionally have a used one in stock).

10. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

-The eq is so powerful, the unit is reliable.
    You should be happy with the Eden. 400 watts is always enough power if your bass voice permits it.
    If it keeps up with the drums, it'll do. Mic the drums= PA the bass.

Look for a used Eden. It is the best value.
    After all, the Eden isn't exactly twice as useful as the Hartke.

Either head, really. If you're on a budget, then...

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Would Edens give me a Hi-Fi sound?

The reason I ask is that the best sound I get, out of any amp, is playing my Cirrus through my Peavey Microbass and using headphones. It is exactly the sound I love...but of course it is not loud enough to even be audible with another instrument.

The only description I can think of is a highly compressed (not squashed) sound through a hi-end stereo system playing very well produced bass.

That is the sound I'm after, which is why I'm using a 410 cab (10's giving a tighter sound to begin with) and either a Hartke 4000 or the Eden WT400.

As I recall, way back when I had an Eden Metro it seemed like it had that Hi-fi sound...but I remember that the Metro did not handle my low B very well, except at lower volumes.

12. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have a Eden WT-400 that I will sell you for $600.00 plus shipping. I bought it around 8 months ago from a local store in my area. It will be $600.00 plus shipping.

Thanks

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Between those two, I would choose the WT-400, though I agree that a WT-550 would be even better. However, my recommendations would be for either a Walkabout (if 300w into 4 ohm will do you) or a Thunderfunk TFB420 (if 400w into 4 ohm is a definite goal - or even if it isn't). Both of these two are very excellent heads, and if you want any more details behind those recommendations, I'd be happy to expound.

Tom.

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes please expound on the Walkabout!

What are they going for these days? I can get the Hartke 4000 for $500 and the Eden WT400 for $800. both are 400 watts into my 4 ohm cab.

The Eden has a tone I like...and so does the Harkte...with the Hartke having tone control for the sub bass frequencies.

I could live with less watts...if the amp was what I'm looking for in other areas.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an Eden Navigator preamp, and I have heard other Eden heads (including the WT-400, but not the WT-550), so I do know what they sound like, and in fact I am rather a fan. [Please note, the Navigator doesn't necessarily sound like one of their heads, it's just another point of reference.] Tonally, I feel that the Mesa Boogie Walkabout is superior to either their heads (by a noticable margin) and to the Navigator (by a slight margin). This is my personal opinion only, mind you. Others may very well disagree. The Walkabout also has a very flexible and useful EQ, as do most Eden products. The advantage to the Walkabout would be the Mid control, which I believe is modelled off the old Fender Bassman preamp, which is a passive-style control (even though it actually is a variable boost). As such, it is quite forgiving (you really can't totally mess up your mids with it), and it basically serves to modify the emphasis and voicing in the mids. I like that little knob a lot. Another "cool factor" is the ability to overdrive the tube and yield a very nice overdriven tone. The Walkabout is very loud for its rated 300w, and in fact was significantly louder than a 330w Eden Time Traveler into the same cab. The tone is really what the Walkabout is all about. Very nice, to my ears. On the downside, it does not have a speakon out, or a dedicated tuner out (though you could use the second instrument input for this). My Walkabout is currently in the shop having a speakon output and an unbalanced line out (for driving a tuner or another power amp) added. At 13 lbs, it is very portable, especially with the excellent gig bag. I picked up mine used, in mint shape and with a gig bag, for $600.

The ThunderFunk TFB420 is another GREAT head. I am not sure which I would have chosen if the TFB420 were available to me at the time that I bought my Walkabout, but I think I would have gone with the TFB420. I recently had an opportunity to borrow one, and was very, very, very impressed. See some of the threads about ThunderFunk at NAMM, or ThunderFunk versus this or that other head.

Hope this helps, Tom.

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Get the Eden.
    I have a WT-400 and Acme -Low B2-cab.
    great for small to Med. gigs.

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I am still quite torn about this.

I have a 4 ohm 410 cab.

On the one hand I can get a Hartke 4000 for $500.
    400 watts...sub bass control, a wide range parametric EQ, volume mute with tuner out...and a compressor that does not seem to be worth much, if anything. I can charge it to my card and my gigs would pay it off in three months before I'd ever have any interest on it.

Or, I can get an Eden WT400 for $1000 (which I can put on my credit card with deferred billing)...or for $800, which I would have to put on my credit card in full. The deferred billing is my preference only because with deferred billing, my gigs would pay off the amp monthly before any interest would be incurred. Having it charged to my account in full would result on interest on my card...thus I would be paying more than the $800.

I'm really having a hard time deciding as I would love to get the Eden...I'm really dying to get it actually.

But, the Hartke at only $500 would allow me to possibly get a decent 210 cab that I could use for small gigs and not have to haul around the 410 all the time.

If I get the Eden, well...I'd have to use the 410 because I could not afford to get a 210 cab then.

Decisions, decisions. Part of it is necessity...and another part of it is just plain GAS.

18. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I've learned the hard way. Get what you want not what you can afford at the moment. It will all work out in the end. I have made so many purchases on price alone and regretted it everytime.

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've been playing bass since 1977 and I don't think I once bought an amp on price alone.

Then again, while I have had some mighty fine amps that have done quite well for me, I've never had a so-called top-of-the-line amp.

Although I did own a BAM210 for about 9 months before I was replaced in a band. That is one of the best sounding amps ever, never mind it being a combo. Shortly after I traded it in on a 12 string guitar, I got a call from a fantastic guitar player who wanted me to join his band.

The thing is, the style of music we play (swing, rockabilly and blues mostly) I really would not need all the sounds the BAM210 offers.

So, now I am left searching for the right amp to play with my Peavey 410. Since the style of music I play now is pretty much the same through the night...I do not need versatility...what I need is a tight low end. It does not need to be great with the highs...and definitely not mid-rangy. I need more of an upright kind of sound.

My Cirrus 5 string with LaBella tapewounds gives me a great upright sound through my little practice amp (Peavey Microbass)...now if I could find an amp that duplicates that sound at louder volumes I'd be all set.

If I get my buyout from my previous band I will definitley get the Eden...no question about it. The buyout alone will almost pay for it in full.