Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT400 question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I have a chance to pick up a used Eden WT400 (pre-Wasburn buyout) for $595.

It sounds great, looks to be in great condition, and the guy will test the existing 12AX7 tube and also give me a brand new tube for a spare.

Is this a good deal? I've wanted an Eden WT400 for some time and never had the cash to get one. But this seems to be a great deal.

Anyone else who has one care to offer up any opinions on this amphead? I've done a lot of searches but it seems to come up in huge generic threads that I'd rather not have to spend a week weeding through.

Thanks.

2. Seems a little on the high side to me. There's one on Bassgear right now that is $550, and I've seen them much cheaper than that. Check Ebay for previous auctions to see what price they've gone for.

On the tube, a new one is pretty cheap, and easy to install. Wheel and deal with him, he might go down some.

I've had both a WT300 and a WT400, which I had to sell for financial reasons, but I love the sound and would go back to them if I had the cash. Especially the CXC110, which has the Time Traveler head in it.

Hope this helps.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, part of the deal is trading my Hartke HA4000 head and some cash to boot. But I'm getting a good price for my HA4000, so I wouldn't have to come up with the whole $595 in cash.

I like the Hartke head alot, but I love the sound of the Eden head by comparison.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I decided to go for the deal on the WT400.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow and putting it in my combo.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    $595 is an OK deal if it's in new condition. $500 is a good deal.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I got $375 for my used HA4000 head, which new goes for $499. I had a couple of other smaller items I never used anymore that I threw in there. Plus he came down to $550 for me. So I only had to come up with $100 cash.

Basically I swapped an HA4000 plus $100 for the Eden WT400.

Was it worth $100 to switch? I think that's a pretty good deal considering I'm now playing through an Eden head now, which I had been GASsing for, for well over a year.

7. thunderthief_29

thunderthief_29

Nov 20, 2004
    Lancs, Uk
    Funnily enough I've just (well 2 months ago) swapped my Hartke HA4000 for an Eden WT500. Couldnt be happier.

Mike

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    like munji said, as long as it's liek new you did good. mine was like new and i got 550 shipped for it. i'd liek to get another when i am more financially solvent, but i'll proly hold out for a 550 just so i can do the whole 2 ohms thing.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think you did fine. You overpaid on the WT, but he overpaid on the HA4000. It all works out, just like when a car dealer "grosses up" a deal to get you enough trade-in value to pay off the loan on your old car.

IMO, you got the Eden for roughly $400 - the used HA4000 was probably worth around $300 if it sells new for $500.

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes.

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I finally got the Eden WT400 into my homemade 210 combo.

Holy Sh*t!!! What a difference. The Eden head really cranks, which leads me to believe that either Hartke is overrating their head's power or Eden is underrating theirs.

On the Eden, I had the Gain turned up to about 1, and the Master set at 5 and it was louder than the Hartke head with the volume at over half way.

I had both heads plugged in and did a side by side comparison. The Hartke seemed muffled, or distant (I can't really describe it, but it sounded like I had a blanket over my speakers compared to using the Eden head). The Eden head is quite clear and open. The tone is a nice warm, clean sound that lets my Fender P-Bass with roundwounds sound like it should. Punchy, distinct.

I'll have lots of headroom and still be quite loud...and this is just into an 8 ohm 210 cab. For now, I can only imagine how loud it could be with my other 210 extension cab.

Of course volume is not the reason I got it. As far as tone goes, The HA4000 is quite versatile, but it does take alot of messing around with the dials to get what I want.

With the Eden head, I started with everything set flat. I plugged in, turned it on and started playing. My first reaction was, "This is it. This is the tone I want." Set at flat it gives an ideal tone for me.

But I now see what everyone is talking about as far as only having to make slight changes to greatly affect the tone. On most amps, you usually have to do a great deal of adjusting to make a significant change in sound. But move any control on the Eden, even one notch, and the tone is noticeably different.

I certainly don't play any gigs where I need to get very loud, and we always have PA support. Even with my HA4000 my 210 combo has been more than sufficient. But the Eden head really cranks, even at 235 watts into 8 ohms, it seems substantially louder than a typical 200 watt head into a 210 cab.

Like my P-Bass, the Eden head is just beautifully simple. I plug in, crank her up and it just gets me right where I want to be. Heck, were it not for having to play different rooms, I could just set it all flat and break the knobs off.

I'm not knocking my HA4000, as it is a good, solid head that works quite well for me. Had I not seen the WT400 sitting in my local music shop, I'd still be playing through the HA4000 and been quite happy.

However, getting the Eden WT400 was just about the best decision I've ever made gear-wise in 28 years. There is good, and then there is GREAT!!!

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I got on stage with a band last night who's bass player was running a Wt-600 head into a 410xlt cab, playing a Peavey Cirrus 5.

I really liked his tone from out front, going through the PA, but once they got me on stage with them to do a couple of songs, I was blown away. His Eden rig was getting a sound I have never gotten out of my Ampeg. I mean, this was the type of sound that I have had in my head, and came close to nailing, but just haven't quite acheived. Not that my tone sucks with my amp, I have had many compliments on it. The Eden rig to me just sounded better. I have only been able to play around with a WT-800 in a store for a little bit, so I had no idea what these could do in a live band setting.

I think I need one.

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, I'm pretty sure ND and MN have a treaty where you are legally obligated to own an Eden, or they will quit buying your wheat and beef. Better get cracking!

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I had GAS for an Eden head for years. I briefly owned a Metro and loved the head, but the 210 cab didn't hold up to the low B at louder volumes. The head in it, though, sounded beautiful.

I now only have a four string again, and my custom made 210 has a great sound with any head...but the Eden was just so, so...hmmm, articulate. It just seemed to wake up my cab.

There is nothing wrong with a good amp head. I wouldn't suggest someone buy one if what they have works for them. But, if you come across a good deal on an Eden head, they are just too damn good to pass on.

There are a lot of good, reliable amps that do a good, serviceable job. Then there is Eden, where they're just so obviously professional sounding. A night and day difference.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, yes I do. Now.

I always knew it was a quality head. As I said, I had been gassing for one for a long time. At the time I bought my HA4000, it was really all I could afford at that time.

Even though I liked my HA4000, I still wanted to get an Eden head if one ever came up that I could swing a deal on.

One finally did. No lookin' back now. I'm a big Eden fan...always have been, but now I'm one for life.

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nothing like quality head!

18. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, that's for sure...but I doubt I'd trade an amp for it!!!

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you guys totally gave munji a woody tonight - lol

i miss mine but i'm sure ill get a 550 sooner or later. BTW, hartke definitely overrates their wattage. IMO, eden overrates their slightly, but no where near the extant that hartke does.

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, I am working on it. I went and saw the same band again last night (and they made my drummer and I get on stage with them again too :oops: ). That sound was there again. ;)

I need one.