Eden WT400 thermal shutdown woe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rbud2003, May 8, 2004.

1. rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    Last night at a gig my WT400 cut out mid-song. I have read some post about thermal shutdown in the WT-400 but the amp head was not that hot. I was not pushing it any harder than I have in practice since I've had the head. (about 5 months). The DI out of the Amp was still working.

My rig, along with the WT-400, has 1 Eden D210XLT and 1 D115XLT both are 8 ohms. I was running with the EQ flat, Enhance at 10PM, Gain at 12, and Master at 1PM. I did not notice any clipping lights on. I was using a Fender 70's special edition Jazz bass with passive electronics.

I'm now afraid to gig with this head again. Anybody have similar problems/solutions? Again, I did not notice it being any hotter then previous times I used the head.

Thanks for any help.
  2. Some Edens have a thermally activated fan (fan starts when amp gets warm).

Does the WT400 have fan cooling?

Was the fan running prior to the shutdown?
  3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I had a Wt-300 for awhile. When I got it, a used amp, it was filled with dust bunnies and likely didn't have much airflow. Be sure your amp is clean inside and also be sure that the fan is working and that it's not confined in too small a rack case...allow an extra space if you can.

You might also be sure that the cables are both good, with close to 0 ohms of resistance..

The other thing is that I recall the WT-300 would have been pushed to the max by about 1 o'clock on the master with the gain at noon.
  4. rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    Thanks for the replies. I did not notice the fan being on before the unit cut out. It is in a rack mount case but it has a 4" space between the head and the power conditioner I also have in there. Also, the distance between the fan and the edge of the case is about 3".

I'm going to have the unit looked at by a tech to ensure the fan is working and for dirt/dust in the unit.

Thanks again for the replies.
  5. rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    bump. Just want to see if there are any other comments to be had out there. thanks again.
  6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    It seems to me that Eden have a lot of these problems, or similar ones. People are always complaining about things like these on the forum I don't think I'll ever get a Eden now :/.
  7. I had overheating problems with an SWR. I mounted a 3" or 4" computer fan on the upper rail of the back of the rack. I haven't had any problems since. I'll take the extra fan noise over my amp not making any noise any day of the week.
  8. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I had this problem with my WT800, seems the fan was not
    kicking on. I traced it to a ceramic resistor underneath
    the main board that had come un-soldered. The ceramic
    resistor (it kinda looks like an automotive ballast resistor)
    gets so hot it can melt the solder joint, causing loss of power
    to the circuit which powers the fan. If the fan is not coming
    on, you can take the cover off the top of the amp, pull the
    two wires off the temp. sensing switch and touch them together. If the fan doesn't come on, you might have this
    problem. If the fan comes on when you complete this circuit,
    but doesn't come on when the amp gets hot, the bi-metallic switch (or switches, the WT has 2 temp sensors) may be
    bad. If the amp gets hot and the fans come on, and the
    amp still goes into overheat safe mode, make sure your
    fan blades are clean, as well as the inside of the amp. Things
    can get real dusty in there quick and restrict the air flow,
    causing the amp to overheat and shut down. If you're not
    sure about opening up the amp, take it to a tech! There's
    stuff in there that if you ground by mistake, can fry
    the transistors, boards, or make you a member of King Tut's
    afterlife boogie band.

9. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Different amp...similar problem...if it helps. The thermal sensor on my SWR SM-400S failed, so that the fan didn't turn on...I was used to having it run for awhile at the end of every gig.

When tested by a tech, it was indeed the problem rather than a circuit flaw, and was replaced...it's been fine since.

So that's something else to look into...I was able to open the amp and short the leads on the sensor to see if the fan would come on...which it did. So that quickly suggested the sensor was at fault.