Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vision, Apr 5, 2005.

1. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    okay i have a quick question for guys out there with the old eden wt400 traveler (not the current wt405). can you use it at 2 ohms? i haven't seen a 2 ohm rating for it, but i know that the new 405 goes to 2 ohms.

also are there any opinions on the wt400 vs the swr sm-400?

thanks!

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    No..the WT 400 is not designed to be used at 2 ohms. As far as vs. the SWR, there is NO comparison to my ears. The Eden is a MUCH superior sounding amp.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    My Eden WT-400 is only stable down to 2 ohms, so I'm assuming that's the case for your's too.

As far as comparisons to SWR gear, I like the Eden sound more. It's a bit fatter, with more warmth and low end to my ears. Having said that, you'll find lots of people here who prefer SWR to Eden, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

4. Contrary to Cheezewhiz, I wouldn't run the Eden at 2 ohms. I'd be surprised if the power amp circuits are designed to handle that kind of current. It's a fairlly old design probably done when there weren't as many options for hi power output devices.

As for the sound, I am very partial to the Eden sound. It's not scooped like SWR, and has a nice warm tubey sound to it.

I believe the original SM400's are 200w/chan stereo amps. I don't know if they can be bridged or not.

The SWR web site has some pretty good information on all of their old products. Check it out under "vintage".

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Actually, thats what I said. The WT400 IS NOT designed to be run at 2 ohms. My advice is to NOT run the WT400 at 2ohms

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm going to have to disagree with you sir, and say you should NOT run the WT400 at 2ohms. :D Hehehe

To the original poster....if you are in a position that requires an amp capable of a 2ohm load, then the Eden WT400 is NOT what you want to buy.

-Mike

7. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    This thread made my head explode :help:

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Again? I'm sick of cleaning up after you man... sheeze...

Ray :D

9. Oops, from the way you worded it I misunderstood. Sorry bout that.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A thread for and by the dyslexic.