1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden WT550 @ 2 Ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by opium89, Nov 27, 2006.

1. opium89

opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    I am curious who among us is running this amp with a 2ohm load. I've always ran mine at 4 ohms with two 8 ohm cabs. I've never really needed it any louder so it was never a concern but I think I might get a better sound if I push the speakers a little harder. Just curious if anyone had an opinion about this.

As a side note, I was told a 2 -1 ratio is what I should look for in a cab/amp combination. (2 amp watts to each speaker-rating watt). What is a an acceptable amount of power/cab before it gets "dangerous"? I was also told (Marc @ Dr. Bass) that not running enough power to your cabs can potentially be worse for your speakers than running too much. I found this very intriguing! Apparently, the unused power goes to the speakers as distortion and speakers apparently don't dig it.

I tell ya, I learn something everyday!

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    There are two rules of thumb to live by. 1. You can never have too much clean power.
    2. If your rig sounds like it is in pain - turn down or spend money ...

Your ears ought to be able to tell you when enough is enough. ... and yes, underpowering a cab isn't real good.

3. Strictly, that is untrue.

Underpowering a cab is just fine...it in itself will not harm the cab at all.

If you run insufficient power into a cab it will not damage the speaker, it will only be lower volume.

It's only that if you have a low power amp, you may have a tendency to dial the volume too high,sending it into clippng.

It is the clipping signal that can damage the speaker cabinet - even if the power amp is low wattage.

A clean signal from such an amp will never damage a speaker with a higher rating.

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I run my WT-405 at 2 ohms all the time. No problems at all. Most speaker manufacture's recommend an amp with twice the RMS rating of the speaker, to have enough headroom to stay away from clipping. So keep that in mind. Using common sense, you won't hurt them at all. Speakers seem to love being pushed harder. try it, and you'll see what I mean. I run my Avatar SB112 Delta's with 700 watts apiece, and they just sing.

5. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Still waiting on my wt800 to come in i am using a borrowed WT550. I am running the WT550 @ 2 ohms and it works great, sounds great,, and doesnt get very hot.. it get warm but not what i would call hot...

6. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I see lots of questions about dropping the ohm load to get more power out of a lower-pwered amp. Frankly, I think it is overthinking the plumbing. Better to just stick with 4 or 8 ohms and match the head appropriately. As someone else said, turn down or spend money on a bigger head.

7. If you can get the same power out of a smaller less expensive head, and it can handle it fine and sounds good, then I don't see why we should spend more money...

Ps. I have a big ass tube head, so maybe I should listen to my own advice once in awhile, but thats another debate all together :D

8. opium89

opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    This is from the horse's mouth....

"What most people don't realize is that you can blow a speaker with an under powered amp quicker than a high powered amp. An under powered amp overdrives itself and sends 300 or 400 watts of distorted power to your speaker and destroys it as the speaker can not handle the distorted signal."

I guess really what he is talking about here is driving your amp to the hilt is bad news. "Clean signal" is the key, as you mentioned.

9. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    I run my wt550b at 2ohms all the time--2ohm 210xst/210xlt combination. Sounds great, head heats up less (because with more speaker surface I need less master volume, I guess). Highly recommend it.

10. Correct.

Any amp (high or low power) sent into clipping is likely to damage speakers...it's just that you have a higher tendency to clip a lower powered amp in an effort to get more volume.

Running a clean signal from a low powered amp into a high capacity speaker cabinet is no problem ;)

11. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    geezz. i spent less money and bought a carvin b1500 that does 2 ohms just as welll and better than amps three times the cost in harder working conditions... it is not the spend more money or bigger rig... i could use either of my vintage SVTs or my Crown power/ alembic pre rig if i wanted power and wanted to spend money.. but it is more a matter of havin an amp that can do a small gig into one 1x12 or a bigger gig with four 1x12s with the same amp so as to retain the same basic tone.. only louder..
    we call that a modular sysytem....
    And being able to go to 2 ohms allows that to happen.. geezz .. i was looking at getting a thunderfunk head but it is not rated at 2 ohms... and i was told it would possibly be a crap shoot if it woud not over heat on a gig... so i would have had to get 2 thunderfunks if i wanted to use all four cabs on my larger gigs or even two 8x10s... well sure i could have done that.. but i am looking to make my life and gigs easier with one amp that has FLEXABILITY to allow me that option.
    To rebut your one line the head is matched properly to the cab load since the head is rated at 2 ohms.
    its is not so much the watts for me as it is speaker surface area.

12. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina

What rebuttal? I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with doing this, but I just think it isn't worth worrying about. To each his own.