Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT550 and Schroeder 21012

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrackBass, Jan 16, 2006.

1. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    Well a couple of days ago i bought a wt550. Found a good deal locally and just couldn't pass it up. I've been looking for something a little bit lighter and i haven't been quite as happy with my tone as of lately. My initial impressions are quite favorable. With the eq set almost totally flat the sound is very balanced and smooth. i'm really diggin' it. now i can use my brige pickup again. anyway describing sound is hard so hopefully i will have some clips to post soon. (i did a little recording this weekend and hopefully ill have some tracks soon)

Gigwise i only played out once with it and that wasn't the best situation to judge it (there was another band and i didn't use my cab, also the soundman took a di straight off my bass) so i'll hold off on singing its praises untill next week. friday i'm playing a big room (very high ceilings) with no pa support so we'll see how the power holds up, and saturday i'm playing a slightly smaller room with full pa, so i'll check out the di live.

so far so good, but we'll see

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    How does that cab respond with 500 watts going into it?

3. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    500 watts with a 21012 should sound excellent. I use 600 watts with a 410 or a 1210 and the cabinets are being pushed without the speakers bouncing through the grill and with no distortion. Several people on the Schroeder megatread use the Eden, Focus, thunderfunk, aguilar, and other heads in the 400-600+ watt range and have no problems with volume indoors, boomy, perfect acoustics, outdoors, with and without PA support. The cabinets just plain and simple "put out" BUT sound good doing it....they're not just loud. The 21012 light is gonna be my next personal cabinet to purchase and run demo's for in NE and NW Ohio future Schroederites.

With your Eden it's a question of whether you like the tone and if so, I don't think you're gonna find yourself really ever lacking volume or nice clean punchy tone with plenty of low end.

Good luck and feel free to contact me being an active bassist using Schroeder cabinets on gigs 6 to 8 times a month.

Larry Kaye
    TheCabZone

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks Larry

The only problem I have is I run the old WT800...at 4ohm it's only 400 watts...I need an 8ohm cab so I can utilize 800 watts into the cab. Considering the 1212 8ohm right now.

5. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    yea, i can't wait to get the new eden on a real gig. i like the tone (and i've got a pretty good ear for what works on stage) i just hope the little eden won't run out of steam in the great big room. (i have a positive feeling about this though) as for the cab, it will put out as much as you can feed it. i've played outdoors without pa support with my 21012. the new head seems pretty loud for its size and i think it will manage with headroom to spare. as for the guy with the older wt800, that is the entire reason i never seriously considered eden. (the funky bridging options. what to do with one 4ohm cab) the power section of the 550 is just so logical. i hear eden will upgrade the 800 to an 800b, that's the route i would take.

oh. btw i have been doing 2-10 shows a month with the schroeder since i got the cab in july-august? of 2004 so i am quite farmilliar with the capabillities of the cab. 500 watts is nothing to a 21012. mine is used to 4 times that.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The Eden upgrade is $500.00. I have a crown amp that puts out 1100 at 4ohms...maybe I will try to get an Eden Pre amp?

7. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Not sure about this, but can't you get the sound from the Eden after the preamp and before its own power amp? Like in FX send or sth? This way you could probably send the signal to the crown amp and use the eden only as a preamp.
    Might be saying BS, no experience with this stuff.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    You can do that..it's an option, but that would be a lot of heavy gear.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love my WT550! nice find. and while i've only had short shoptime w/ a Schroe 1210, i can aurally imagine how their tones are very complementary to one another. :cool:

10. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yes, the Navigator preamp is 12lbs and the WT800 is 26. That's 14 lbs more. OTOH, you can have that with $0. I would say try it and, if it works for you, look into selling the wt800 and buying a navigator. If you go for a used one, you may even end up with a few bucks more.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the upgrade is $495 and takes about 3 weeks.

a brand new WT800 is about $1299, and most used 800's go for about $700. worth it? :meh:

12. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    My band recorded a 5 song demo CD on Saturday. I had two lines going to the board. One used my WT550's DI and one with a microphone on my 1210. The sound was awesome and the recording engineer was quite happy to use the Eden's DI.

I've only had PA support on one other show and the Eden DI worked nicely. Very low noise if any.

Lex

13. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I'll try to get one tomorrow. I brought my CD home at lunch and forgot it.

14. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    the bad news is that this head really makes you work on your technique. (not really that bad of a thing) the good news is that with proper technique this thing sounds rediculous.