1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

eden wt550, Any Love?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by midichlorine, Mar 25, 2013.

1. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    aight guys would like some opinions on this amp.

im used to aguilar th500, db 750 and mesa walkabout.

im thinking or hoping that this is a good 2 ohm stable, mid weight alternative to the db750.

thoughts?

thanks

2. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Great amp IMO. Punchy tone, tight lows, clean response across the whole range. Not quite as warm as the WT400 but has a "crisper" tone than the 400. Has a lot of EQ options but I ran mine pretty much flat with Eden XLT cabs. I ran mine many times at 2 ohms with no problem. Even at 20 pounds, it's still very portable in that you can fit it in a smallish gig bag

3. midichlorine

Jun 15, 2005
    basically ive been building a small component rig that consist of 4 aggie sl112s and ________ brand head.

im in different situations all the time ( i play full time) and like having the 4 25lb cab option because i can work a rehearsal, studio, small house gig all the way up to a big stage with these 4 speakers.
    my 1st intention was to run the 4 with a db750 but most of my gigs are smaller and the weight is just no fun although it sounds amazing!!
    so then i thought well, ill just get 2 th500s and run 2 amps when im on big stages but that limits the ease factor plus id like to run 3 cabs sometimes for a 2.67 ohm load.
    th eother option i see is a mesa carbine m6 but i like the form of this eden head.
    i wonder if the eden would pump those 4 12s ?

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    The 4 cab rotation sounds really flexible. The WT550 should power 4 SL112s no problem. I ran a 2 4ohm 210XLT cab combination many times with my 550. One of the favorite Eden setups was the 550 with a 4ohm 212XLT and 4ohm 210XST. No problem with either of those setups.

5. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    I think the WT550 would be closer to the Mesa Walkabout in terms of tone, which is cleaner to my ears than either of the two Aguilar heads. I think if the Eden as warm and clean without being sterile.

6. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    +1

7. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    By the way I never ran my WT550 at 2 ohms, but I know that many of the guys over on the Eden forum do it all the time with no problem. And I've never heard the SL series Aguilar cabinets, but I think the Eden would do nicely with them. You'll probably get a lot of volume and clean, warm punch out of that setup.

8. midichlorine

Jun 15, 2005
    I hope so because I guess I'm gonna go for it.
    Thanks

9. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Yep, I run mine at 2 ohm everytime I use it . . . D212XLT 4 ohm and D210XST 4 ohm . . . no problems whatsoever! Killer tone . . . lots of compliments!

10. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    If it sucks, you can blame it all on me. :bag:

11. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Yeah, blame it on him, tho u will love it!

12. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I also recommend the WTDI pedal too . . . a quick way to go from your normal great Eden sound to a great solo sound . . . and other uses too!

13. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    A WTDI used in front of an amp could do that. But you'd have to be careful about clipping the preamp if you're sending too much juice from the WTDI (e.g., lots of EQ). I used my WTDI in front of a power amp and it sounded great. It made my cheap jazz sound like a million bucks.

14. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NY
    Although I've never had the opportunity to play through a WT550, my WT405 is my go-to amp for everything, always. And I always have my WT500 on hand as a backup. I just can't get away from that Eden tone. Nothing else touches it for me. As far as running it at 2 ohms, I've run my WT405 with a D810RP and D215XL, both 4 ohm cabs, for extended periods of time without any concern. I used to cringe whenever I saw a backline rig that wasn't an Eden but with my WTDI I never have to worry about that anymore. Bottom line: do it. :thumbup:

15. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    How about over Epifani Ul501 or Piccolo 600? That's my dilemma right now.

16. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    My rig is a 550 with a 4ohm 212XLT and 4ohm 210XST - I've been running @2 ohm (750 watts) for 7 years with no problemo.

17. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I owned a wt400 for over 11 years w/ no issues.
    My buddy has a wt550 that he uses with 2 4ohm Avatar cabs. He prefers his Eden to his new Streamliner 900. The Eden just has that certain "something" that both he and I love.
    I've not been as satisfied with any amp since and I own a tonehammer 500 and LM3.

18. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    550/212XLT/210XST - one of the truly great Eden setups!

19. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I've owned both and think their tone qualities are actually quite different. The WT550 is warm and clean, with very different baked EQ points as a starting place. This is why so any people run their WT550s flat... that's where you get that "Eden tone."

The Walkabout has very different baked in EQ points... broader rounder, deeper. And the Walkabout has two tubes versus the WT500's one tube in the pre. The one thing they share is the semi parimetric EQ.

20. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    I've owned three different Eden heads, so I'm very familiar with the "Eden tone." I have not owned any of the other three heads that the OP mentioned, but I've played through all of them and even used a Mesa Walkabout at a gig.

But you missed my point. I was not favorably comparing the Eden and Mesa amps. In my limited experience with all three amps that the OP mentioned, it is my opinion that the Mesa is closer in tone to the WT550 than either of the Aguilar heads. You are correct in that the Mesa is fuller and rounder sounding than the Eden, but I think you could get a reasonable approximation of the Eden tone out of it with some EQ. IMO, there is no way to EQ either of the Aguilar heads to sound anything like the Eden.