1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden WT550 has trouble turning on/will turn off on its own

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tannerwr64, Apr 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tannerwr64

Tannerwr64

Oct 12, 2016
    I have had a 2003 WT550 for a few years and have loved it, but recently I've been having some issues with getting the amp to turn on and stay on. It started like a finicky light switch where you have to wiggle it around the half-way point to get it to turn on, but now sometimes I'll have to try flipping the switch 20 times before it will turn on, if it does at all. Also, when it does turn on, sometimes it will just power off on its own. Has anyone experienced problems with this? From what I can tell the fuse is not blown, and sometimes when I turn the amp on I can hear an electrical hum coming from the head itself for a few moments. It's become unreliable because of this issue, and I would like try to fix it before buying a new head. Thanks in advance!

2. gyancey

gyancey Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The only things between AC power mains and the primary input of the power transformer are the switch and fuse. Sounds like the problem is the switch. Mechanical things break far more often than actual electrical components (resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc...).

If you hear the humming stop (which is the transformer being energized and it's field lines vibrating the steel case a little bit - it's not a torridal transformer in there) it stopped receiving the mains voltage, which means it's the switch.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  3. Tannerwr64

Tannerwr64

Oct 12, 2016
    Thanks for the response! What do you mean when you say "stopped receiving the mains voltage"? To speak more to the behavior you are addressing, if the amp successfully powers on it will usually vibrate the case for a second, then the vibration stops and the amp stays on and operates normally. Would it be a simple part replacement if the switch is the problem? I have minor soldering experience, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to take this to a professional. Thanks again.

4. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If I recall (and it's been a minute since I've worked on my WT550) the connections between the switch and power supply board are all spade terminals, so you won't even need to solder anything. My point about the hum was that if you hear it and it goes away entirely (it always hums a little bit when on, more so during the initial transient when it's charging up the power supply caps) without you doing anything it's likely because it lost power on the primary (120VAC side), which is likely the switch failing. Another good indication is the light in the switch, as it's off the 120VAC line, post switch. There are other weird things with that amp that can cause the output to mute and appear inoperable (thermal protection circuit can go bad, as it did on mine once), but in those cases the power light stays on so it doesn't sound like your problem.

BasturdBlaster and Tannerwr64 like this.
  5. Tannerwr64

Tannerwr64

Oct 12, 2016
    So your suggestion of checking the power switch led me to look up replacement switches, which led me to an eden forum about broken power switches. It said there that if the screws for the rack ears are in the amp when the ears are not actually attached, they can go too far into the amp since there isn't the steel ear acting as a spacer. This can cause the screw end to press on the power switch, causing it to jam/not make contact properly. I removed these screws and voila, no more problems. So like you said, it was a mechanical problem. I would never have thought of that being the issue. Thanks for leading me down the right path!

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  6. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No worries, glad it's fixed!

7. Glad you got it sorted. :D

S-Bigbottom likes this.