Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT550 vs. Mesa Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zac2944, Nov 1, 2005.

1. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm considering a WT550 as an upgrade for my current rig. I'd like to hear some of your opinions on the WT550 vs. the Walkabout.

My current rig is the Walkabout into a 4 ohm Schroeder 1212. For large gigs I drop the Walkabout into a rack and use it as a pre amp into a Mackie 1400i. This works for me, but it is super heavy and I never use all 1400 of the Mackie's watts. I'm getting sick of lugging it around and would like to know if the 550 will be able to replace this set up. I really like the size and weight of the 550, the price and availability of used ones, and the fact that I can run it at 2 ohms if I get another 4 ohm cab.

FWIW, I play in a 12 piece funk/disco dance band. Sometimes I have PA support, and sometimes I don't. I'm not competing with huge guitar amps, but I do have to keep up with a 4 piece horn section.

My Questions:

1. How does the Walkabout tone compare to the Eden tone? I have only played through Eden gear in stores. I liked what I heard, but gear always seems to sound totally different at a gig. I like the thick "buttery" low end that I get from the Walkabout and would hate to give that up. Has anyone ever A/B'd them?

2. Will the WT550 be much louder than the Walkabout alone (300W vs. 500W @ 4ohms) ?

3. Will the WT550 (500W @ 4 ohms) be enough replace the Walkabout & Mackie combo (1400W @ 4 ohmns) ? Keep in mind that I never have to push the Mackie to get the volume I need.

4. Should I just shell out the dough and find a WT800B or will the WT550 cut it?

Thanks,
    Zac

PS: I'm so jealous of you guys that live near BassNW, Bass Central, ect. and can actually try out gear before you buy it! I've been searching the Boston area for some Eden gear but have yet to find any. Damn shame.

2. My Questions:

1. How does the Walkabout tone compare to the Eden tone? I have only played through Eden gear in stores. I liked what I heard, but gear always seems to sound totally different at a gig. I like the thick "buttery" low end that I get from the Walkabout and would hate to give that up. Has anyone ever A/B'd them?

Yes..... you are correct... that very tube-amp like buttery low end that the Mesa's have is not quite as apparant on the Eden. However, the Eden will be punchier...a little more 'quick' and solid state sounding. If you are playing funk, etc. as you mentioned above... IMO it's a better head for that... especially if you ever do any slapping. If you are a 'P Bass' funk guy... the Mesa is great.

2. Will the WT550 be much louder than the Walkabout alone (300W vs. 500W @ 4ohms) ?

The Walkabout is a loud 300 watts. IMO, the WT550 will be louder... slightly so because of the increased wattage... moreso do to the tighter low end and more mid punch of that amp.

3. Will the WT550 (500W @ 4 ohms) be enough replace the Walkabout & Mackie combo (1400W @ 4 ohmns) ? Keep in mind that I never have to push the Mackie to get the volume I need.

Probably.

4. Should I just shell out the dough and find a WT800B or will the WT550 cut it?

Maybe.... but only if you are pushing the 1400W Mackie at times ... the WT800(b) or the new 1205 will totally take care of you... The WT550 at 4ohms with a 1212 should be killer. The 800 or 1205 at 4ohms into a 1212 would be mega killer!

3. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks for the info Jung.

I play a P-Bass, J-Bass, and a Ken Smith depending on the gig, tune, and venue. If i think that cutting through wil be an issue I leave the P at home. I slap about 15% of the time.

Stage volume is my main concern here. I hope to only bring one amp and one cab to everygig. I find that I have to bring the Mackie to 50% of my gigs. I'd like to only have to bring it to 10% or less of my gigs.

4. In that case... I think the WT550 into that 4ohm 1212 would sound wonderful, and would be plenty loud... and significantly more punchy and quick than the Walkabout.

5. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I was extremely underwhelmed when I tried a Walkabout but I haven't played a WT550 so my opinion is worth what you paid for it!

6. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Huh? I didn't pay anything for your opinion.

Too bad you didn't like to Walkabout. I love the tone but would like to have more power without the size and weight of the Mpulse 600.

7. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Our band was pretty loud, there were samples and percussion, and loud drums and overdriven guitars and loud screams. The WT-400's power amp would clip at louder gigs, limiting bass volume to below that (using a 5 string)...we upgraded to a WT-550 and never ran out of headroom. It's almost as loud as a M-Pulse 600, which can drown out loud acoustic drums. Also they were conservatively rated, the WT-550 puts out 550w@4 Ohms and 750W@2Ohms. We played some pretty big rooms and never needed an extra power amp...cabs were an Eden 4x10 and 1x15, 8 Ohms each. Hope this helps, it's a kickass little amp. You should check the Thunderfunk out too.

8. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, I've been looking at the TF too. I like the WT550 better because

1. I should be able to get good deal on a used one ~$600
    2. It is smaller than the TF.
    3. If I ever get another cab I can run at 2 ohms.

From what I've read they sound pretty similar. I'm not much of a tweeker either, so the extra eq on the TF doesn't mean much to me.

9. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    All true...the 2 Ohm thing counts with me also.

The TF is lighter though, and has a cool carry handle...15lbs Vs the Eden's 20lb. The Eden has no handle and is weighted to one side, so it's a little unco to lift and can unbalance if you don't watch it.
    I actually run a Millennia STT-1 (solid-state mode) through the WT-550's power amp and get an awesome slap sound. If you want a fast attack you might prefer the TF, if it's solid state is anything like the Millennia's. Cheers.

10. Greetings,

I own a schroeder 1210 and Eden Wt400, Awesome tone and power for any small/medium size room.

11. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I use a WT550 with 2 8 ohm cabs ( 212XLT & 210XST ) and have headroom for days when using this combo.....

Only a coupla things I would change with my setup..

1. I shoulda waited for 4 ohm cabs but there weren't any in the country when I bought the rig...

2. The road ready case I put the head in has pretty much taken up any of the gains I got with the smaller head. Might look into something not quite as heavy for day to day around town gigging & leave the road-ready for out of town stuff..

Other than that, I'm a piggy in poop ( that's aussie for very happy )!!!

YMMV

Dan

12. thats a tough comparrison. both are awesome heads!
    I can't speak much about the mesa... only played at stores but the warmth has always stood out to me... thats about all I can comment on about that head.

I do own an Eden WT330 and think its just awesome! I vote Eden

13. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I replaced my Walkabout with a WT-550. I liked both, but the Eden just sounded like a more powerful amp and I believe it's better suited to your funk/disco gigs. I miss the Mesa sometimes for that vintage tone, but I'm most happy with the Eden.

14. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Interestingly enough I play in a very similar band with 4 horns playing funk, R&B Swing etc....

I also used to use a walkabout but as the scout combo (8 ohm version) It did struggle at some venues as I never have PA support. For a time I used a second cabinet and that was the trick, never had a volume problem but did run the head pretty hard.

I have since switched to an Epifani UL502 or EA IAMP 350. With a choice of 3 different 8 ohm bag end cabinets. The IAMP350 is similar in volume output to the Walkabout and it does struggle in certain venues that need more volume.

The Epifani runs about 600watts at the full 4 ohms and I can take 1 or 2 bags with me and I now never ever run into headroom / tone issues.

If you want to look at Eden stuff which I did the WT 405 Time Traveller is a great option and will also run at 2 ohms if necessary.

Good luck with the band I'd love to get a PM from you with more detail, maybe we can swap some ideas.

Pete

15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The used Eden I have came with the Eden bag, so I don't use a rack, the bag slings over your shoulder and you can carry other stuff. I thought it was all hype but having had it, I get it now.

The Wt-550 gets my vote.

16. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have a Walkabout and also demo'd a TF 550 for a week. I prefered the Tube tone and sparkle of the Walkabout hands down. I also get a great slap tone from the Walkabout. The TF 550 however was a LOT louder 'clean' loud.

What I notice with the Walkabout is that it plays loud, but it only stays 'clean' to a certain volume. Then it gets louder, but not without a little tube grit. (which is cool if you want that) But when I want loud and clean, I take my Ashdown ABM500 EVO. Does it all. Gary

17. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I own both and use them often ......

I use the Walkabout 12" 4 ohm Scout combo - IMO its a great sounding portable powerful combo that produces very high quality results....but falls short in the larger rooms or the outdoor venues w/o PA support when playing with a drummer and guitar player..

I use the Eden when I play larger rooms or outdoors. I use either a 4 ohm Goliath 4 x 10 or two Carl Weber Audio 12" cabs with the Eden and sometimes a single 8 ohm 15".

I have also used the Walkabout with the Goliath ot the CWA speakers and always get a good result. I jsut did a show with the Walkabout/Goliath and a Sadowsky 5 string in a small club and it was great.... so it all depends on the size of the room and the size of the band...

They both sound great... but I purchased the Eden for the power & headroom..
    for me the specs are perfect and I love to use a single 8 ohm
    15 @ 300 watts with a passive P or J.

I do notice a difference when I push the Mesa vs the Eden. The Eden remains clear and powerful while the Mesa when pushed too hard loses some of its tonal quality and clarity...(which is sometimes a desired result...)

From what you wrote you dont play too loud so you should have more than enough power with the 550..
    I have not had any problems with the Eden and Volume....
    but I guess it depends on how loud you need to get..
    I dont think either would work in a metal band......

As far as the tone..only you can answer that..they are both great products and you know what you want to hear...

18. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I've thought about making the switch from my walkabout to a wt550 several times...

I've played both, and I agree with pretty much everything people have said.

Eden loud and clean but still smooth.

Mesa loud and warm.

I can't seem to convince myself that there is a better amp out there than the walkabout for what I do (blues, classic rock, and newer rock).

If I were funking it up more often, I might consider the Eden... but there is no way I could completely give up the mesa warmth.

19. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    WT-550 works fine in metal bands. Plenty of headroom and great parametric EQ. Next up would be the M-Pulse 600 which is a lot heavier...

20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I retract my statement about the metal band .. :)

I should have known better (since I never played in a metal band before..)

Thanks for the clarification Fuzzhead...