Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT800 compressor ???????'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Jan 26, 2004.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Anyone use the compressor on the Eden WT800? If so how do you have your head settings? Also what settings are used to controll the compressor? I just started to fool around with it, I never compressed my bass before. Thanks in advance..

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    When the little green light flashes on the compressor does that mean it's kicking on?

3. Hi, I don't use the compressor on my wt 800, but you're correct about the light coming on when it kicks in.

cheers

neptune

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Does anybody use the compressor on thier Eden?? Is it substandard?

5. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I had mine set to where it only limited the very, VERY loud peaks. The ratio is too high IMHO to actually be using it as a "compressor" and it sounds unnatural to my ear.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    How do you controll the amount of compression?

7. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The ratio is not selectable (which it should be IMHO). What I'd do is play an open low note very hard, harder than I would play. I'd set the gain so as to just have the light barely flicker. In that way, it is only coming on when a very loud peak is made, never in normal playing.

In other words, it was on, but set so it rarely, if ever was activated.

8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I don't use mine either it's not as clean as it should be. If need compression us something externally. I use a Tech 21 bass compactor set to very little compression, just basically to keep the peaks down.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I can still keep a good tone with an external compressor. I just think the built in one changes the tone too much. Curious as to what others think out there.

10. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I have owned my Eden WT 800 for about 7 yrs and have tried the compressor out with different settings many times and have never been satisfied with it. Everytime it engaged it, the compressor would clamp the notes down way too much, so I stopped useing it and ended up buying an EBS Multi Comp pedal which I love very much. The EBS is so transparent without being dramatic when it engages but yet you can hear the difference when useing it. That would be my recommendation.

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

IMHO the Eden uses more of a limiter than a comp.