Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT800 crackle - help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-only, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    I have what seems to be a very intermittent crackle that comes from my WT800 (mostly) when it's been on for awhile. It crackles and cuts in and out for just a second - then it's fine for a while again, then it does it again. The sound is very much like a bad cord. I've used different chords and basses (including the speaker cord), so it must be an issue with the head. Each episode seems to last approx. 5-10 seconds.

Any ideas? My fear is that it's so intermittent that a repair person may not catch it acting up!

Any suggestions and advise appreciated! Any similiar problems with other Eden heads?

Thanks!

2. Does your "pre-amp clip" light light up (The one right next to the Treble shelving knob, not over by pre-gain)? If so, i have the exact same problem. It seems to come and go, which is really odd. One month, It'll happen 2-3 times a day(!), the next, It'll never happen. Its really embarrising when playing, and suddenly your sound cuts out.

I'm yet to take it to a shop because right when i get really fed up, the problem fixes it self. One time i started calling shops in my area, but no one would touch it because they werent "eden certified" or I didnt want them to touch it cause they'd charge a lot more than neccessary due to the fact that they weren't "eden certified".

Let me know if you find a solution.

3. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    I'm not positive, but I think it does! I am trying to decide whether to send it to Eden or have the local, well-known repair place have a stab at it.

Again, my fear is that it won't act up there and I'll get a repair bill just for testing it!

When I called Eden, they said it could be a few different things, but may have a tough time finding the problem, if its really intermittent.

Yea, MUTTLUK, sounds like we have the same problem!

Let me know what you end up doing!

4. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    i'm not sure about the eden specifically but i had the same problem with the Sunn 300T which is all tube so technically speaking not the same type of amp at all. However i had the exact problem with fixing it too the fender licenced tech. couldn't even pick up the problem when he ran signal tests so he couldn't help me out now i'm just having a new rig shipped in. It may also be an over heating issue which ALSO happened to me with an ampeg combo. The heat sinks weren't working properly and the amp would go into suicide mode for a few secs so i wouldn't permanently damage it

5. I had a similar problem with my Ampeg V4-B (all tube), and it ended up being a lose preamp tube. I'd check that....

6. EdenSmith

EdenSmith Guest

I had the same problem with my WT800 right out of the box. Ended up being the preamp tube- it was ready to fall out of the socket. Must have been jarred loose during shipping. I don't know why Eden doesn't use some type of strap/clip to hold it in place like some other mfgs' use. :rolleyes: I'd check that out before you send it for repair. Good luck..

7. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Thanks for the responses!

I'll check the tube and see if it's at all loose. I did change it when I got the amp and it didn't seem to be the tightest fit.

I guess the vibration of sitting on the amp could make the tube move.

Also - could a "defective" tube cause the same intermittent problem?

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    A defective tube could cause the problem but......

I've owned several Eden heads and experienced a similar problem with WT-300 and WT-400 heads. They would make a bit of noise shortly after being powered up and then quiet down. Never had one cut out on me while I was using it and it was always shortly after powering up the amp.

I'd try the preamp tube first.

Chuck

9. I've changed my preamp tube before, and dont recall much change. I'll be sure to check it though next time. I recall when pulling out the old one it vibrated out quite a bit.

10. Loose preamp socket or perhaps a microphonic preamp tube - vibrations can cause the preamp to internally break, esp. with cheap-o 12AX7's. That would probably explain the preamp clip light coming on.

11. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had to resurrect this thread because when I read it the other day something hit me!
    I went home and fired up my Eden WT400 and sure enough I had this really annoying crackling noise.
    I knew it was here but after reading this it bugged me.
    I went to Mars and bought a new Sovtek 12AX7 and now the head is silent, and it sounds even better. I bet if ya change the tube it will solve your problem....

12. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    UPDATE:

I replaced the 12-AX7 tube (with a Sovtek, as well, Funkster) and through leaving the amp on for several hours a day (for the last 3 days), no crackle!

I did notice when I changed the tube that the replacement fit much more tightly into the socket.

The old tube was slightly loose in the socket.

Hopefully, this is the answer and I thank all the TB'ers for your help.

You people are the best!

13. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I had a WT-800 for over 3 years and I had to replace the pre-amp tube every 4-5 months. It will eliminate the buzzing but the cutting in and out was a different story :mad: .

The components back then where snapped on to the board and even with it in a calzone case they start to move after a while. After having the unit replaced Eden also contracted a new service company in my area and they serviced it every 6 months. After that I relay didn't have any problems. Although, I was under the impression that they had changed some of the components and made them stationary on the newer models. That's just my experience. Good luck...

hmjuice

How low can you go

14. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm glad you got a handle on the problem, however, the Sovtek tubes are known for their very poor tone. The tubes that Eden uses are graded Chinese tubes that sound much better than the Sovtek 12AX7's.

A very real improvement in the tone of Eden amps/preamps can be had by installing one of the lovely sounding tubes that were made in Europe or the USA before polution concerns and low demand caused production to cease. I have a Telefunken ribbed plate ECC83 in my WT-400 and it sounds much better than it did with the original tube. I recommend the ribbed or smooth plate Telefunken, Mullard ECC83 or an RCA 7025. The difference in tone will be worth much more than the cost of the tube.

Chuck

15. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    You are absolutely right Chuck!
    As for a quick fix I had to go with what the local had and it did the trick and the amp sounds killer with the Sovtek. I have a guitar show coming to MA in April where I plan on grabbing a old Mullard or RCA, or Telefunkin for when the sov gets tired!

I don't know what happened but the quote got mixed in with my post....Fixed!

16. Is this a documented fact or just a matter of opinion? Granted there are better tubes out there but my experiences with Sovteks has been postitive. My fav is the 12AX7LPS which is the tube used in the Demeter VTBP-201S preamp. Sounds great in my WT300.

Jeff

17. I've tried a number of different preamp tubes in my WT800, incl. Mesa, Sovtek, Tesa, RCA, Telefunken and Amperex.

I really couldn't tell that much difference, if any, between all of them. The RCA kinda sounded smoother (that's what I left in), but by-and-large the difference between them all didn't really warrant the experiment! :)

Remember that the preamp tube in an Eden isn't a gain stage, so you can't push it as such unless you feed it from an external preamp.