1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden WT800 problems (early version)??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kaxx, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Kaxx

Kaxx

Apr 1, 2007
    Columbia, MO 65201
    Hey guys, I just wanted to see if I could get anyone's opinion before I ship this thing off to get repaired. At my last gig, I tried bridging this thing mono to get the 800 Watts into my 8 ohm 410 XLT cab. For some reason, it almost sounded quieter than when I was running mono out (only around 250 watts or so to 8 ohms). I usually don't have much problem running it mono since it seems to keep up decently with my band and running through the PA, but I've got a gig at Busch Stadium coming up next month and plan to use it bridged. Any recommendations? I've also tried this at home thinking it wasn't getting the right amount of AC power, but it definitely isn't any louder here either.

2. Kaxx

Kaxx

Apr 1, 2007
    Columbia, MO 65201
    Bump, and does anybody have any suggestions on where I should send this to? I think Eden will recommend me a few places, but I want this done quickly and correctly the first time

Thanks

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This may be a simple matter. I think you have to have the "Balance" knob turned all the way to one side, I can't remember if it's left or right, but try them both.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Left I think.
    I don't mean to insult you, but were you using the correct output on the back....bridge out.....and was it banana jacks or speakon? cable wired properly?
    Amp switched off before engaging bridge mode?

I hope it is something simple and straightforward!

5. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I have a WT800 and the balance knob should be in the 12 o'clock position when using the bridge mode. Make sure that the bi-amp switch is in the off position as this, if engaged, will likely cause the drop in power you are experiencing. The amp will also sound thin and harsh.

If this doesn't sort it go over to the Eden site. They have a forum and answer technical questions really quickly.

Good luck

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Nope. All the way left.

7. Kaxx

Kaxx

Apr 1, 2007
    Columbia, MO 65201
    Well, I tried it last night at my gig (and I did use the bridged output with a banana to 1/4" cable, banana from the amp and 1/4" to the speaker cab), pressed the bridge button and turned the amp on. Within about 5 seconds I heard a very loud "pop" and everyone on stage freaked and yelled "what was that?" They all thought it was their amps. I quickly turned it off and leaned down and could smell that good old burnt PC board smell. Shortly after, I tried running it like I normally do unbridged but the output was substantially lower than usual. Good thing I brought my WT300 along, it made it through the gig and everyone on stage was like "man you sound much louder tonight than usual, could you turn down a little?" I jokingly said "no, I like being heard" (then I of course turned down...a little). I guess this has been a problem for quite a while. Now I get to lug around my CA-9 since I hate pushing amps to the limit all night long and the WT300 was peaking intermittently.

8. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Did you have the speaker plugged into the bridged mono outlet? Was bi-amping engaged? Were your speakers less than 8 ohms? Any or all of these things could cause the destruction of your amp. Were you using a good speakon cable, or was yours still on the phone jack/ banana plug system?

Hope not,
    Cameron

9. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    If it's old enough to have the banana plugs, you might have used the incorrect banana leads to go bridged. Either that or something was not switched correctly.

You said when testing that you thought it sounded weaker than normal. That's a sign the bridged output wasn't plugged in correctly. Then you said when you started it up at the gig, you had a huge pop when you engaged it. I know I know, this is a rookie comment, but... did you dial off the main volume control BEFORE engaging the bridged settings? Cuz I think you maimed it when you hit the bridge switch with juice still flowing through it, which woulda been horrible for the amp.

This guy definitely sounds like it needs an overlook to see what's going on inside. Also, while you send it in, you can get the upgrades to bring it to 800C rating, which lets it run bridged down to 4 ohms, and adds a mute button. Plus the porch light.

10. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Contact Eden directly. They can fix inhouse. That's who I am going to have repair my WT500 when I get around to it.

11. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    You can get a list of repair techs in your area from calling US Music. If you ask for a RA number to send it into Eden's factory, they have a 2 week turnaround right now. But that doesn't include shipping time, so plan for that. But once you send it into the factory, you can have them do a full-blown bench test, and they'll recertify the amp. That'll get you a fresh new 2-year warranty on it. Dunno what the price is, but if you are serious about getting this all worked out, send that 800 in, have them do all the upgrades (even installing speakon jacks if you want!) and then the 2-year warranty. You'll be back in da biz.

12. Kaxx

Kaxx

Apr 1, 2007
    Columbia, MO 65201
    Are they doing the upgrades to the 800C version? Last time I talked with them they said that they weren't doing that anymore as of about 2 months ago.

13. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Lemme bounce an email and get the right channels to get this done properly. I'll confirm everything for you.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    You wouldn't want to do the upgrade anyway. They don't change the outputs to speakon. I sold my WT-800 for $900 and bought a new WT-800B for $1,300, so the swap cost me a hundred bucks less than the $500 conversion that's not even a full conversion. I don't know if today's prices would support that though.

15. Kaxx

Kaxx

Apr 1, 2007
    Columbia, MO 65201
    Much appreciated, Bryan. If you get on their website it says that upgrades are temporarily unavailable though. But if you get a different answer, please let me know.

Oh, going back and re-reading this post:

I used a monster cable banana to 1/4" plug. The original banana jacks were coming loose so I bought a new banana end and after removing the old banana jack I attached the new one to the end of the cable. I did this several months ago. Should have been a no brainer, but could I have done something wrong?

As far as how I bridged it

1. With the power off, I attached the cable to the bridged output, power plug, and pressed the bridge mono button, making sure the Bi-Amp was off.
    2. After all of that, I powered up the amp, and within about 5 seconds I heard that heart-dropping "pop" and shortly after smelled that PC burnt smell.
    3. The left/right channel knob was set to center (I didn't get a chance to get on here before trying it and now see that the knob should have been far left, although I'm getting mixed opinions on this.
    4. This seems to have been a problem for quite some time, seeing how my WT300 is louder than the WT800 has ever been.

16. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    you've got PROBLEMS! ('member the old Bowie song? It's all happy and light....tu du tu du tee du tee du.... 'You're such a wonderful person...tu du tee du tee du...but you've got PROBLEMS>>>then the music changes and gets all wierd and twisted).

Sounds like blown capacitors, power supply issues or some such thing, or it could be a bad tube; you could change that for a quick >$20.00 fix. And of course check your fuses; they can die of old age.

And I personally would stay away from upgrading it. Just get it fixed, and locally, IMHO, and avoid a possible world of grief. :ninja:

Sounds like you did everything else right; balance centre or far left doesn't matter, as long as it wasn't far right (could be vice versa - just try it, won't hurt anything). The 800 should be WAY lounder than the 300, like a turbo V8 next to a little 4 cylinder.

Good luck,
    Cameron

17. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I can't see why you wouldn't want to upgrade it- you get a new warranty, more flexibility, and a virtually as-new amp out of the bargain.

18. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    on 'new' Eden amps? Service?

'nuf said... must watch my blood pressure...

:ninja:

Cheers,
    Cameron