Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT800 Question(s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grooveguru, Oct 14, 2002.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I just purchased a used 1996 WT800 on ebay and should be getting it tomorrow. My question is has there been much in the way of upgrades by Eden since 96? I know there used to be an issue on some of the older models where they would run hot and shut off. Does anyone know what years were affected by this. The guy I bought it from had it checked on a regular basis by an authorized Eden dealer and never had a problem. I don't really want to spend $75.00 plus shipping to have Eden look at it unless there is an issue with the 96' models:confused:

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the only eden heads ive heard that have over heating issues were the vt series heads from the early 90's. the wt 800 has a fan that kicks in when it starts to run hot. theyve had a low noise upgrade that i had done on my late 98 model and i havent really noticed a difference.

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    When did they start to offer the low noise upgrade?

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i really dont know but i have to imagine that it was around 2000.

5. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Did you have this done to a WT800?

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've had my 2000 model WT-800 for several years now and I've not had a bit of trouble with it.

I was talking to a dealer down in Dallas, several months ago about the Edens, and he says that they've never had any issues with the WT-800. But he say that they'e dealt with unfixable problems on the Navigator. But I've never noticed any problems with my Navigator either.

I just wish that the WT-800 were bridgeable to 4 ohms. I'd just like to have the extra headroom when using a 4 ohm cab.

Good luck with you WT-800.

7. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Thanks Jerry and Narud. I've been extremely happy with my WT400. Never a lick of problem with it or my Eden cabs. Just been craving "More Power" to push that XST a bit more. I'll still have the WT400 for practice and a backup.

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    yup. i bought my 800 new in 98. being that im retarded and dont follow instructions, i ran it with a 4 ohm load bridged mono(a no no) for around 3 years off and on for large outdoor gigs. it eventually caught up with me and blew last year. i sent it back to eden for the repair and they threw in the low noise upgrade. the whole thing cost me around 200. ever since, i only run it bridged mono with an 8 ohm epifani 410 and its been steady as a rock. best sounding amp ive played through and i tried doing the demeter thing and still ended up going back to the wt800.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You should call Eden and ask about the fan. They told me at one point that pre '98/'99 800's had the fans turning the wrong way or some such nonsense.

I sold an 800 this year. Despite its rep, I never liked the amp but my main beef was the colored tone, not the reliability. I never had a problem with mine and usually mono-bridged it into an 8 ohm cab. It never seemed as loud as I expected it to be, however. I do still have a WT400 but it will probably go soon. Eden tone is just not my bag.

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Funny thing regarding the WT-800.

I was in one of the local music stores just goofing off when somebody fired up a used Fafner that they had just gotten in. I was totally enthralled with the tone of that amp. Well they sold the Fafner that week. So I started GAS-ing bigtime for a Fafner. I figured that I'd just see if someone wanted to do a straight trade. I finally saw an Bassgear ad for a Fafner so I sent the guy an email. He had just sold his amp but I took the opportunity to ask him why he sold it. He said that he had used a WT-800 for several years but thought that he was getting tired of the 800's tone. He traded his WT-800 for the Fafner. After several gigs he realized that the Fafner just wasn't cutting through like his 800 had. We both agreed that the Fafner still was a great sounding amp so no slight on it from either of us. I decided that I'd just stick with my Eden. It worked great into my Bag End D12 cab on a festival that I recently played. More than enough stage volume for an outdoor gig. Besides I have the Demeter and the Alembic for a change in tone. But I haven't found much of anything else in that power range and size/weight class that I've liked better.

11. I picked up a used WT800 from eBay a year or so ago that was an early model.
    Apart from the bridged speaker outs that broke and the 2 internal caps that had broken off during shipping to NZ (that I had replaced), i've never had any problems at all.

I run into a 4-ohm 810, and usually run the thing with the limiter blinking...sure the rack it's in gets warm but it's never died on me. Even if it did, I still have the other power amp up my sleeve! ;)

The only thing I dislike with my 800 is the fact that you can't drive the preamp tube into distortion...does anyone know whether this can be modified or is it the inherent design of the WT preamp?