1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden WT800 "string squeal"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BRfan, Oct 21, 2010.

1. BRfan

BRfan

Oct 21, 2010
    Hey guys,

I've been gigging an Eden WT800 in a pop/country/90's alternative cover band for almost two years now, and can't seem to get rid of the annoying harmonic "squealing" that occurs when I move my hand across the strings. I've tried other amps and it doesn't occur nearly as harshly, although sound guys say they never hear it through the house system. I'm currently running an '04 MIA Jazz through a GK NEO-410. I've tried every type of strings other than flats or tapers, and can't seem to make it go away. Any ideas?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Maybe it's time to try a good set of flats? That, or tweak your eq a bit, lower the highest freq's, or turn the tweeter down?

3. BRfan

BRfan

Oct 21, 2010
    Yeah I've contemplated trying flats, but like the punch I get with rounds and don't know if I want to lose that. Any recommendations on a good set of flats for a first-timer?

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If flats are what you need, fine, but it will make your whole thing sort of a "one trick pony". I'd try fiddling with the eq knobs first, find the annoying noise and dial it out.......either that or just stop sliding your hand up and down the strings and just play notes.:)

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sounds like you're trying to solve a technique problem with your amp to me...

6. +1 it is mostly a technique issue but you can try find the offending frequencies and notch them out with your eq or turn your tweeter down on your cab to help solve the problem

7. turn your tweeter off. cut everything above 6khz. make sure the enhance knob is off.

then get better at picking your fingers up. if they cant hear it at FOH, then its not REALLY a problem. you likely just have the highs aiming right at your ear hole. dont 10's project better that way?

8. BRfan

BRfan

Oct 21, 2010
    Yeah I often wondered about the technique side of things-- I assumed that had at least something to do with it. I just find it strange that I don't encounter these issues when I play through a different head (an old Carvin ProBass paired with a SansAmp RBI.) Overall I like the Eden's tone WAY better, I just hate the squeal. I'll turn my tweeter off and try to smooth out my playing at my gig tonight and we'll see what happens. Thanks guys

9. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Try backing off the magic button, that should help. Depending on your setting u will get more of a Motown thump.