1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden WT800 v Mesa Boogie M9 Carbine

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carpe diem, Feb 14, 2013.

1. carpe diem

carpe diem

Nov 24, 2005
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new amp and have narrowed my choices down to these 2 (after having a bad experience with an Ashdown BTA 300 - great sound though). Earlier today I had a chance to try the WT800 and liked it. However i've not had chance to try any Mesa gear and won't without a 3-400 mile trip. Although I would be happy with the Eden there is a niggling thought at the back of my mind saying 'get the Mesa'.

So has anyone had the opportunity to try either of these heads and would recommend one over the other?

I should add the head will be paired with a Barefaced Super 15 when it's completed in a week or so.

Thanks,

Ash

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Very different sounding amps. Edens are warm and vintagey, and the Carbines are snappy and modern. A more even comparison would be the Eden vs a Mesa MPulse.

3. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I couldn't disagree more. The reason I like eden is if u know what frequencies make up what sound u want u can precisely dial in vintage or modern. That coupled with the enhance knob is why I love Eden.

The most modern tones out there can come out of Eden heads. Malcolm Halls Eden YouTube videos will confirm that.
    I love the versatility their stuff provides but everyone likes different things, try both and go with your ear not anybody else's.

4. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    That depends on what you consider Modern. Are you talking Modern as in 1990s modern or modern as in 2013 today modern.. The eden was very modern sounding in 1990s....

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Just for me, personally, I would grab the Mesa. It's got such a great wow factor...but the WT800 is such a great piece of gear that this is a crazy tossup when all things are considered.

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    How much of a difference in price is there? The WT800 is known for having a great preamp and versatile EQs. I'd have to disagree with RickenBoogie as I don't really find the WT-800 to be vintage sounding.

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Given normal market values, I'd think the WT-800 offers more bang for the buck.