1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden WT800a distorting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bean639, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    Without going into every little detail I will just preface that I am sure that it is not my basses, cabs, headphones, or EQ/gain(preamp) settings. The distortion sounds just like the preamp tube is bad. A little annoying fuzz underneath everything. I will try ANOTHER tube or 5 when I can get them. Assuming it's not the tube, any idea what this could be???

2. Don't know what to say - was going to suggest you are hitting the compressor too hard but you are saying your gain setting is correct.

3. Bean639

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    yeah... i havent actually "clicked" it off, but i have rolled the gain down from about 1oclock to 9. I guess that it is possible that I put 3 bad tubes in there. none of them new, but all barely used.

4. Did the problem start when you replaced the tubes??

5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Have you considered other things like loose jacks? I have a Stratocaster with a perpetually loose jack on it that produces what sounds like a slight background overdrive through the amp when you dig in hard. If you keep your thumb on the jack, nothing. Look at any potential causes, even ones you might not ordinarily think of. I rolled tubes in a Marshall amp two days ago to figure out a source of noise. Three cheapie Sovteks were all good. The vintage RCA phase inverter was the noise maker!

6. Bean639

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    Bought a new tube and still distorting. It does sound like the distortion you were describing. I can bring it out more or hide it by cutting and boosting low-mids. I have not considered loose jacks OR maybe a bad chord. Ill go mess with it more during halftime. (Big Irish fan)

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I had the same problem with my WT800 and 410XLT cabs.
    Very frustrating.

Turned out to be my instrument cable gone bad!!!! DOH!

8. Bean639

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    haha! i wish that was my case. I just tried another cable and tried messing with the input jack. No Dice. Im really at a lose here. I have heard of a decent tech in my area. Im still uneasy with techs tho. They seem to always make me really nervous, take wayyyy to long, and frankly piss me off. Regardless, I think its tech time.

9. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    F.L.O.R.I.D.A.... S.T.A.T.E.... Florida State, Florida State, Florida State! I feel I have to say that, although I don't follow them much anymore since I left Tallahassee.

I hope you get the 800 sorted out. I have always wanted to hear my D410LXT with it's better half. I got real close and received a damaged one from ebay that had to be returned.

Good luck.

10. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I have a wt550 with 410xlt and if I'm playing directly I front of the cab facing it I will get a higher pitched buzz or hiss and it will only go away if I turn the treble down on the bass or amp.. Try positioning yourself in a different direction..

You may have a ground problem in the outlet. Go to the hardware and buy a ground tester for a couple bucks and you could see if that's what the problem is.

Also- try turning the tweeter down. NOT COMPLETELY OFF- because you will blow the l-pad after a while.. Lets say a little before off.. Hopefully this helps

11. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Well, the compressor on my WT400 distorted when I first bought it new.came on way too soon and never sounded clean.
    Had to send it to authorised tech to lower or raise? the comp threshold and fix the problem

12. Bean639

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    im not using my cabs for troubleshooting, im using my headphones. (sennheiser 280pro) This is def not a high hiss, it is a low mid distortion that kinda sounds like a bad tube or a dying battery. (my basses are passive) Checking the ground is a good idea. I have plenty of tools to do that since im an electrician. Just none here with me. doh! Oh, and I almost forgot. GO IRISH! :)