Eden WT800B or SWR SM-900 ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by themagicmedicin, Feb 22, 2006.

1. I'd like some advice on which would be better suited for me. I currently use an Ampeg SVT-4Pro through BXT cabs, a 210 and a 115. I like it OK, but it doesn't have the kind of clarity I'm looking for, seems good for my rock days, but a little to muddy for the slap and funk I'm into now. Enter Eden or SWR.

Of course both amps are post-takeover of their respective companies, washburn and fender, but I don't put too much stock into rumors of hardware changes since changes by nature cost money to implement, track, repair, etc. I work as an EE and can testify that changes are the worst, and you certainly wouldn't change something to make it lousy only to increase the warranty to 5 years and be forced to repair it.

Any ideas? general comments about the tone of the two amplifiers... I've never actually played either.
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Before you go changing amps, spend some more time with the 4's EQ. I use an SVP-Pro (simmilar to the 4's preamp) for ALL styles of music and am able to cop all kinds of great modern funk sounds with it. The pre section is ultra flexible and should allow you to dial things in reeeeel nice, if you're patient enough to mess with it.

If its muddy, use less lows or lo mids (turn the ultra lo switch off!), use the ultra high, change the mid freq ... so many ways to fix that. The 4 pro is a good head.

I'm not sure how good your cabs are, having never played a BXT ... you might try some other cabs with your head as well ...

All that said, the SM-900 and WT800 are both great heads that themselves have flexible EQ. You HAVE to try them out with your cabs and see which tone you like better if you're going to lay out that kind of cash. It would suck to drop $1400 and not be any happier with your tone.
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Both of them are great amps, and before the inevitable round of SWR opinions it should be pointed out that you aren't going to lose with either choice. I think that it's mostly going to come down to cabinet choice more than amp choice with these two to pick from.

I've owned the SM-900 and the dual EQ setup is incredibly useful, especially if you are using multiple basses on a gig. I got really used to this feature and simply because of the EQ stuff I'd pick it again over the Eden if I had to choose. The only possible drawback to the SWR is that resale value for them is in the toilet, but this will serve you well if you're looking for a used one. The guy who bought my SM-900 freakin' stole it from me.

I've never owned the Eden, though I've played several drummer gigs with bassists who play Eden. I like the way they sound as long as the enhance knob is turned to "0" and superglued there. :)
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    IMHO, you can get closer to the modern, SWR sound by changing cabs.
  5. that's a good tip, I agree that the switchable EQ is something that makes me lean toward the SWR. That is perhaps a pet pieve with the ampeg, good sound for fingers ends up clanky for slap etc.
  6. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I'd definately go for the Eden. Their customer service is the best I've ever found. Not that you'd need it, but if you ever do, they are the best ever.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I recently got rid of my Ampeg rig in favor of an Eden rig. I messed with the eq on the SVT 4 pro for years and could only go so far. I also had the BXt cabs (still have one left). One thing I must mention is that the BXT cabs have a strong voice of their own. The eden cab can manipulate these cabs very well. I opted for the WP-100 which sounds essentially the same as the 800. I would go for the Eden over the SWR. I also have an SWR sm-500, and though it is one of the best purchases I have made. I think the Eden is more well rounded. It also has better options.
  9. I used swr for a few years, though I always liked the sm500 over the 900, it was good stuff. But the eden wt800 has been my favorite amp since the first time I gigged with it.
  10. +1 here also... that Eden800(b) is magnificent. My old 900 alwasy felt like it was going to melt in the rack.
  11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    On the 4 you get the finger sound from the rotary EQ and preshapes, then switch in the graphic for slap (or for a second bass). Easy.
  12. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    plus a big one!
  13. Hilarious:p

I think 'a big plus one' would be a little more G rated:D
  14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I paid 650 shipped for a SM900 in very good condition
    6 months ago, so that point is well taken. Buy one used.
    The WT-800B is new enough that you many not find many
    around used. List price on that amp is up there new, for sure.

I would lean towards the Eden tone, (good point about
    bolting down the enhance knob) but I don't know if I would
    pay 800 more for that.
  15. Does the fact that I have the opportunity to get either one new in the box for $1300 change anyone's opinion about it?

I will be keeping the 4 pro around for rock music... this amp is just to find that tone I've been dying to hear for some time.
  16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Then I would go for the Eden. But since there are lots of
    SM-900's around fully depreciated, why not let someone
    else take the depreciation? I got mine for 650 and there
    wasn't a scratch on it. The guy that sold it to me sold it
    because he wasn't using it.

You won't suffer as much depreciation on the Eden right now,
    as that model is new, but you will in a few years.

Just like a new car, take it out of the box and it drops 30%,
    then 10% per year unless its a classic.
  17. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    Eden WT800B all the way (+1 about leaving the enhance knob at 0). I got mine for $1295 brand new in a sealed box from BC. Great amp.
  18. I'm heading to O-town and BC saturday to play both and pick one up. What's with this enhance knob? Why is it so hated? From what I hear eden users leave their EQs flat and enhance at zero... So its a box with a volume knob? Cool since I'm really just trying to get my bass tone out of my cabs with no BS on top.
  19. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The enhance knob gives you a smiley face effect on the eq. The farther you turn it from zero, the more scooped your sound is. I love this feature, since my cabs are very heavy in the low mids, and my bass heavy in the high mids, this featue helps me balance my sound out nicely.
  20. Thanks for the scoop. Does anyone have any experience playing a Warwick Dolphin and/or Thumb neck-thru through the Eden.... or SWR?

The dolphin bass sm-900 combination is what Stefan played in the ants marching days... that's maybe where I'm going with this. clean, deep bass with just the right amount of throat. My B-string has almost a high mid ring to it that I can't get rid of without destroying my tone.