Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT800B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by herbie05, Jun 23, 2005.

1. herbie05

herbie05

Jun 23, 2005
    Hi I'm looking to get my first bass stack happening and have been really intrigued by the Eden amps. My wallet tells me I'd be an idiot to buy one but my ears are begging for it. I play in a 3 piece rock band with a Spector Euro 4 and a ****ty old solid state fender amp.

For gigs without house PA's with up to 500 in the audience what amp would be suffecient in their line? The WT800B seems to be the one I want but would I be fine with just the WT550?

Are there any substantial feature differences between the two?

The cabinet I'll be using will hopefully be a new Eden D-410xlt. I'm also wondering about the distortion ratings..how is it that the Wt550 has less distortion than the more expensive WT880B? I will be using this amp in recording situations too and am unsure if the slight difference in ratings will make a difference.

Thanks guys for all your help.

herbie

2. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    I've got a WT550 & 4 ohm D410XLT.

I play in a pretty loud rockband and I'm pushing the 550 pretty hard (fan comes on every song). I'm thinking about getting the new 800 this year.

I'm just tired of being the underpowered all the time, doesn't mean the 550 won't cut it for you. I have to gp's to battle with ;) .

3. herbie05

herbie05

Jun 23, 2005
    Gomez, I hear ya.. based upon your experience I'd probably be better of with the WT800. What do you think of the cab? it comes in 4ohms and 8ohms right?

4. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I had a WT800 for years...solid reliable toneful amp. I primarily used it bridged mono into a 410XLT...great combo with lots of headroom. I traded it for a pre/poweramp conglomeration when I got tired of lugging the 410 and went to Berg 210/115 stack...the Eden couldn't begin to give them the juice they needed...220 watts a side at 8 ohms isn't that much. I finally ended up trading the pre/poweramp unreliable conglom for an Ashdown EVO 500, which I still own today. The Ash in tone is much like the Eden, with a little more intuitive musical eq. Both amps have loud constantly running fans, but this isn't an issue live. The Ash is very powerful for its wattage rating and probably a little less money. BTW, I probably would have never gotten rid of the Eden if it bridged mono into 4 ohms.

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The new WT800B is bridgable into 4 ohms. I run the same setup you are inquiring (Spectors, 410XLT, WT800) and I will never get rid of it. I also have collected a 210XLT and 215XLT for different sounds and gigs. You can't go wrong with Eden.

6. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I just got the new WT800B. You dont need to hesitate buying one. The eq section is so so so so useful! Although most people never use it because the amp sounds so good flat. Also, the upgraded power section & being able to bridge into 4 ohms is nice.

You really cant go wrong with eden. The WT550 is an awesome amp also but with no PA support the 800 will be better.

7. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I'm selling an Eden WT 500 right now that does 250 watts out each side(stereo) or can be bridged mono into 8 ohms for 800watts. It can be upgraded by Eden to the 800WT for $150. Pretty powerful!

8. herbie05

herbie05

Jun 23, 2005
    Wow guys thanks this website is great, you have actually put thought and sound advice into your replies. THANK YOU.

firkinahsoul do you have any links to some stuff you've recorded with your rig? I'd love to hear it.

jivetkr where did you get your new "B" version.. I tried calling several places and no one has em. I need this thing soon. if you could PM me with details of where you found it and the price you paid that would be killer. Thank you all...and keep the thread going if you all ahev other stuff you'd like to share about this amp :)

-herbie

9. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    All the stuff on autumnandempire.com was recorded straight from the direct out on my WT800 into the board. All of the stuff on firkinahsouls.com was recorded with a mixed signal from the direct on the WT800, direct from my Spector US-2J and mic'd my 410XLT with a AKG d112 about 15º off cone. The levels looked like this on the firkin stuff: WT800=0, Bass direct=-3, and 410XLT=-1.

10. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Bass Central told me they should be getting one in 2 weeks or so. As soon as it comes in it has my name all over it.

11. herbie05

herbie05

Jun 23, 2005
    I found a WT-800B in stock. It arrived today. It is glorious. Today I learned that from here on out I will always play Eden.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Make the rawk!!! :bassist:

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I found my WT800B on ebay for $1195 NEW from warpdrivemusic.
    The bridgeable to 4 ohms sold me. Should be here Tuesday, I can't wait;)

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    nyuk nyuk nyuk

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Mine's on the truck for ups delivery tomorrow. I have jobs both Friday and Saturday this week-I'll report back later on how devastatingly cool it is;)

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    UPS just got here...with an old model wt800.

The newer wt800b should have a serial number starting 0505 or later, indicating a build date of 5th month of 05 or later.

Warpdrivemusic are sending a call tag, and a new and verified by opening the box 800b today. Hopefuly I'll still have it for work this weekend.

16. Just get the new wt-800B and bridge it at 4 ohms into a D410XST cab - no worries!

17. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    You're a happy man now.

'Bassed freak.....terrorizes.......wait 'til they get a load of me....'

I'm gonna get me one of those too, I'm just at a total loss at what I'm supposed to trade in.

U have urself a ball with that blimmin' thing.

Gomez

18. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I play an older WT-800 bridged into an 8 ohm D410XLT. it is called the Thunder Rig for a reason. You cant beat that combination!!

19. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas