1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden WTDI Preamp + Active PA speaker as alternative to a real bass amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Feb 15, 2016.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    As I don't have the money for a proper bass amp at the moment but do own an active 12" PA speaker with a build in 550W amplifier and planing to disabling the horn to make it better fit for bass, I was thinking of acquiring an Eden WTDI Direct Box/Preamp to put in front of it to achieve a more bass amp like tone.

I am just wondering how good an alternative to an actual bass amp this will be, if I am better off using one of the bass amp models in my Zoom B3, or if anyone has any better suggestions for a preamp in the same price range as the Eden WTDI for this purpose?

It might help to know that I love the tone I get from my bass running it through my EHX Black Finger compressor and an old 250W Trace Elliot combo (can't remember the exact model, so all additional information I got about it is that the cab has 4x10") that I currently borrow when practicing with the band.

Kind of a raw punchy tight tone (which I imagine would be brought to perfection with pickup upgrades for my Ibanez Mikro)

I also am aware that a used Trace Elliot combo would be quite affordable, but as I said that is unfortunately not an option for me in my current economical situation.

Ps: Also sorry if this should have been posted in the Amp forum.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    I am running an Eden WTDI at home through a power amp and two 10" speakers. It works like a charm.

This will be roughly the same config as yours except you have everything in one box.

But I am using good quality speakers. How good is yours ?

The Eden is great because it has a compressor integrated, a fantastic EQ and a wonderful defined tone. You won't get much growl out of it but it is perfect for a clean punchy and tight sound with tons of bass.
    The only cons for me is the 15V power supply which can be bothering to put on a pedalboard.

If you play an active bass you should keep the gain fairly low. It is quite sensitive.

Frankly I don't know if it will sound better or worse than the Trace Elliott but for me it does a great job and I am quite picky about my tone.

Hope this helps.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Yup, helped a lot, thank you :)

I doubt my PA speaker is top notch though, as it is a Behringer, but it is all I have to work with at the moment, so It'll have to do for now.

So unless someone comes with a better suggestion it seems like I am settled for the Eden.

From what you describe it sounds like something I might like.

Also I figure it will be great for when recording bass in my home studio (if you could call it that), as for the moment my bass runs through my EHX Black Finger compressor (as it will continue to do) and then my Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic100 microphone preamp (which I am actually quite satisfied with as guitar preamp combined with my Black Finger, but leaves something to wish for when it comes to recording bass, and therefor definitely will be replaced by the Eden, when recording bass at home in the future).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  4. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Update:

So ultimately I went in a slightly different and slightly cheaper direction than the Eden and settled for the Hartke VXL Bass Attack, after having listened through several sound clips, and watched a fair share of videos and reviews.
    The Eden seemed nice, but the Hartke seemed to be able to add a bit more rawness and punch to the sound, whereas the Eden sounded a bit rounder and warmer, which are not exactly the qualities I am looking for in my sound.
    Also the dirt option on the Hartke seemed more to my taste (although I doubt I am going to use it for more than just adding a tiny bit of grit), and since I already got a really nice compressor I am more than satisfied with I didn't really needed that option anyway.

I admit I was a bit wary at first, since I once owned a Hartke Kickback 15 combo and didn't like the sound at all, but after carefully having gone through the material there were to be found about the Bass Attack on the net, I am quite sure I am going to like it.

At least I guess I am going to find out once it arrives and I have had a chance to try it out myself on my equipment.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  5. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014

I really like the Hartke as well and I hesitated between the two as well but I play a lot of latin jazz stuff so I like the warmth of the Eden. The Hartke might suit your musical needs better. But you have to make sure it is powerful enough to drive a power amp. I know the Eden is.

NoiseNinja likes this.