1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EDEN WTDi vs Hartke Bass Attack?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jlozeroseven, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hey! Anyone of you compared this two units? I have a Bass attack but I'm really curious about comparing this two units. I use my bass attack for fine tone shaping and adding a lil bit of dirt in my tone. Any thoughts or sound clips?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Eden WTDI Bass Preamp/ Stompbox Review - YouTube

Cool review of the WTDI. Never played one but looks to be a variation on the Bass Attack. Didn't hear anything there that you can't get out of the Bass Attack, but different pedals strike people in different ways. But I'd just as soon keep the Bass Attack. I've got one...nice little pedal for $100.

3. Thanks for sharing bro! Yeah I think that it's quite the same with the bass attack. I just like its size. But I think that the only difference would be 1 footswitch, the harmonics on/off which gives me a lil dirt. But I really cant tell I guess I should watch someone use it live.

4. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I have 'em both if you have any specific questions.

A few things:
    The Eden isn't designed for overdrive, the Hartke can.

The Eden has a true bypass on/off, the Hartke EQ is always on and will effect your signal.

The Eden is a different voltage (comes with power supply) the Hartke you can use just about any 9 volt power supply.

Both are great DIs for their respected price.

5. I only own a Bass Attack but briefly contemplated on getting a WTDI. My take:

WTDI
    + built in compressor
    + enough output to drive a power amp
    + midrange knob
    + straightforward layout
    - DI only post EQ
    - goofy center positive power supply
    - no battery or phantom power

Bass Attack
    + distortion knob
    + battery powered (great if you use it at home and at the rehearsal space)
    + pre/post DI
    + more tonal options
    - weird and unintuitive control layout
    - really weak output
    - no midrange knob (can be countered by use of the shape control and cutting eq)

EDIT: The always on EQ on the Hartke doesn't bother me as it can be set perfectly flat if you want and changing sounds on the Hartke isn't a matter of hitting one footswitch anyway.

I went for a rack pre in the end and degraded my Hartke to DI duties and backup solution.

String5150 likes this.
  6. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    The Eden WTDI is designed to take any power supply, AC OR DC between 12v and 18v

While the WTDI won't do drive, it's easy to find great affordable overdrive/distortion to suit your taste.

My only question is "will you absolutely need to run it under battery power?"

Cause if you will the Hartke wins.

7. The power supply has the polarity backwards from almost every other pedal, so you NEED a special PSU or some kind of adapter.

IMO the battery power wouldn't be the killer for me, but a pre EQ DI is nice to have, depending on your use of EQ (stage sound tidying vs. tone shaping).

That said, I'd go for the Eden if I were to decide between the two options.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Are you guys talking about the WTDI or the Bass Attack having weird power needs? I run my Bass Attack with a 1-Spot 9v supply no problem.

9. The Hartke is standard, the WTDI has a unusual polarity.

10. But which of the two are good? For clean tone shaping? I guess I'll stick around with my bass attack. The drive switch is useful to me, But the shape knob is kinda weird something like a parametric mid shift. I just dont dig the size of the bass attack. But then if the two pedals do quite all the same, I'll just stick with my bass attack.

11. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    For basic clean tone shaping, the Eden all the way. For rock tones I'm all for the Hartke, but the Eden's Enhance, Compression and Mid range knob make it own in the clean department.

12. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I have tried both and like the Hartke: great tone shaping and OK to good distortion tones.

Meanwhile I did not like the Eden at all, it's a weird pedal as far as its tone shaping option. Maybe it's just me but I really did not like it. I would not buy it from a retailer that does not have a strong exchange policy, just in case....

The MXR bass DI is a good one too. Very good DI and tone shaping. The distortion sounds like nu metal when pushed high - it's not my cup of tea but some people might really dig this.

13. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    Great summary. I have the WTDI and I do wish it had the pre/post DI switch, but you can always bypass it and still have it as a DI.

Anyway very pleased with the WTDI, didn't even know about the Hartke, but if it won't drive a power amp it wouldn't work for me at home anyway.

14. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    the 15v negative tip pigtronix power supply works just fine on my wtdi. polarity isn't a sticking point with the wtdi.

12-18v ac or dc

15. I see. But yeah things change and now I'm into a clean tone shaping and more into natural but boosted sound. Is the EDEN worth it? In exchange with my hartke?

16. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    or you could run 2 9v batteries in series to make a portable power supply.. battery life could be an issue though