1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden WTDI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by raziel4635, Nov 30, 2018.

1. raziel4635

raziel4635

Feb 15, 2018
    hello,

I use a Sammick fairlane active 5 string and I've just recently started getting interested in bass pedals and effects and with some searching around,I've concluded that I:

absolutely need an EQ pedal to sculpt my tone a bit more.

then a compressor pedal to keep my 5th string from generating too much muddyness and making my slaps sound better.

then a kind of overdrive or distortion pedal so I can get a bit of a fuller and more metal tone.

frankly,I was quite dissapointed since the cheapest pedals I could find costed around 25 euro and they were behringer...I don't quite trust behringer gear enough to give them around 80 euro for pedals I may not like or may break because they're plastic and the next choices were skyrocketing to around 50-60 euro per pedal.

as I was searching I came across this

Eden WTDI World Tour Direct Box/Preamp Pedal

a local shop has it for 120 euro and frankly it sounds pretty perfect

it seems to have exactly everything I need all in one pedal.
    it has a quite good eq with bass boost.
    a compressor.
    and if you turn up the gain,it creates an overdrive effect.

and everywhere I've looked,all I see is good reviews for this pedal.

so what do you guys think?
    anyone used this pedal before?
    do you have any other affordable pedals to recommend maybe?

thanks in advance!

2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    The WTDI is a great little unit. It will definitely give you that Eden sound - clean and polished with mid scoop from the Enhance knob if you desire it. The compressor is functional - will at least give you an intro into compression as an effect. I've never heard anyone rave about the sound when overdriving it - don't count on it as a 'feature'. Eden make the Glowplug overdrive which I quite like.

As far as anything else that might suit your needs:
    EHX Battalion
    TC Electronic SpectraDrive
    Tech 21 BDDI/PDDI/VT Bass
    MXR M80
    GK Plex

Good luck!

3. jcbofa

jcbofa

Apr 14, 2009
    Ba55Man1ac said it well. I’ve got two of them and I’ve used them as part of small and larger boards in the past.

It does a good job for what it is, and at a very good price point. It excels at the special Eden scooped sound and you can fashion around that extensively.

I have many, many bass preamp/DIs, especially because I play live a lot, and I generally like simplicity while appreciating some options. I especially like units built largely around analog offerings sound-wise.

These days I’m really liking the TC Electronic SpectraDrive with TonePrints. I’ve got two on two boards and they’re simply great units with both flexibility and GREAT sound.

I also regularly use the Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal without using the AGS circuit. Also uniquely stellar sound live.

I’ve also used the Mesa Subway DI pedal extensively live. Great scoop voicing, 4-band EQ, and BOTH wet/dry DI outs.

These three preamp/DIs have risen to my overall favorites for live sound gigs.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Ba55Man1ac likes this.
  4. raziel4635

raziel4635

Feb 15, 2018
    thanks guys,I had a look at your recommendations and I have to say that I am absolutely IN LOVE with EHX battalion...it has everything the eden has plus a seperate switch for the distortion and compression which was my only gripe with the eden since you can't have a separate channel just for distortion on it.

I've seen it go for 155 euro plus shipping for a total of 175 euro at thomann,making it quite more costly than the eden though.

and if I'm going to spend that much,this raises another question.
    this one costs around the same as the EHX

https://www.thomann.de/gr/zoom_b3n.htm?ref=search_prv_6

I have to say that my past experiences with digital effects,digital all in one pedals and modelling amps as a guitar player were...bad...leaving a lot to be desired and without getting the exact tone I wanted.
    not to say that I probably wont have any use for flanger/phaser/synth effects right now but good to have in the future I guess?

so...eden or EHX or...zoom?

UPDATE!
    a local shop has EHX battalion for 135 euro final price!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Ba55Man1ac likes this.
  5. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    EHX will have a lot better overdrive if you care about that. The overdrive on my Eden Nemesis head is probably the least usable overdrive I've ever heard. Great sound otherwise, Eden's EQ section is killer and usually sounds pretty good when set flat already.

6. raziel4635

raziel4635

Feb 15, 2018
    I'm opting for the EHX battalion...it just seems a lot more user friendly what with the compression,noise gate and distortion being on individual switches and with it actually having a distortion section.

it really IS everything I wanted in a single pedal...how good each section of the pedal is going to be remains to be seen

a local shop will have it in stock for me in the coming week,I'm gonna take my bass down there and try it.

EDIT
    stupid question...uhhh...where exactly do I plug the pedal in...do I just go
    bass--->pedal--->normal amp input
    or do I have to plug into an fx loop of some kind on the amp?
    yes,I'm quite clueless at pedals :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  7. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Try both... in the input or the fx return. See which you like best. :thumbsup: