1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden WTX-500 vs GK MB500/MB800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Da Funky Fish, Mar 26, 2013.

1. I'm micro head browsing and want to make a choice soon.

From seeing videos of the Eden WTX-500 I can tell I like that tone over GK in general. I was planning on getting a GK MB800 and using a Tech21 ParaDriver in front. I do like the tone of the Eden WTX-500 but the wattage is lower than the MB800 and MB500.

Can anyone chime in on how the Eden WTX-500 may stack up against these two GK micro's?
    Thanks...

2. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I found the WTX to be very underpowered at 8 ohms. I say get the GK MB500, the Paradriver, and the Eden preamp pedal (WP100?). Lots of power and tone options.

3. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    800 watts is 2 db louder than 500 watts. Not much of a difference but it might be the difference between the amp almost being loud enough and just being loud enough. Maybe.

4. I have and gig the WTX500. I've also borrowed the MB500. There's no doubt that the GK is much louder and more authoritave. But IMO it sacrifices tone to get that push.

I much prefer the sound of my Eden WTX500 to the MB500, and even the Markbass F500 and LMT 800. Its just not the loudest head around. I find with a 410 or an efficient 212 I have no problems gigging with pa support an a loud rock drummer. When I need more power I use the Markbass LMT800 with a FDeck HPF to get close to the sound I set with the WTX500. You could also use the Eden WTDI to get that Eden tone out of an MB800 but it won't be quite the same as the GIVE circuitry on the GK MB series is post effects return.

It's true about the 2 db increase mentioned above. I also had the WTX260 and it seemed to get 95% the volume of the WTX500.