1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden WTX500 - How to use an external preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tinchobass, Nov 2, 2016.

1. tinchobass

tinchobass

Aug 14, 2011
    Hi,

I recently bought an Eden WTX500 bass head. Nice amp. I also have a Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal and I was wondering which is the correct way to use the tone hammer as the preamp and just the Eden amplifier stage, I mean to bypass the Eden preamp to avoid messing up the tone by adding one preamp avobe another.

Thanks a lot.
    Martín.

2. tinchobass

tinchobass

Aug 14, 2011
    bump!

3. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    Hmm,nobody answered. It's easy.where it says "out",take a cable and plug the other end into the effects return ( not ''send" )of your amp.
    You now have the pedal as your preamp.Make sure you have a cab plugged into your head.
    The volume controls on the head may be interactive with the preamp pedal.I usually turn the preamp I have plugged in up a little.
    I will adjust the volume knobs on the head to my taste. The tone controls may still have an effect,I guess depends on the amp.
    I just focus on the "new" preamp and set it the way I want.No worries as long as you are plugged into a cab.

tinchobass likes this.
  4. tinchobass

tinchobass

Aug 14, 2011
    I was suspecting that was the way to go but never tried before and never seen how others does this. I´ve been a plug & play guy, just bass->cable->amp and go.

Thanks a lot!

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    You also have a pair of aux inputs on the front of the amp which would do the same thing--maybe experiment to see if there is any difference that you can hear when using the effects return vs. either aux input. It should be good either way. Good luck, Bob

tinchobass likes this.
  6. Make sure you don't plug that TH into the footswitch socket. It will blow up your poweramp. Don't ask me how I found that one out....:woot:

tinchobass likes this.
  7. kekani

kekani

May 13, 2015
    Kapolei
    I have a WTX500, with no intent of using it as a micro. My first question (actually suggestion) is why not get a TH500 and be done?

In addition to the Eden, I also have a rack pre into a power amp. My next question (actually suggestion) is why not just get a Class D power amp (Peavey IPR, Crest ProLite, et al) and run your Tone Hammer right into that?

That said, in reading the manual, the effects send and return is to "add" effects, so you're probably not bypassing the pre but rather adding to it. I think Bobcruz has it right, use one of the aux input. Not even sure why there is a left and right aux input, when there's a mono output (thinking aux1 and aux2 instead).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    tinchobass likes this.
  8. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    As the name implies the intention is for effects, but in most if not all cases the effects out is just an output from the preamp, and effects in an input to the amp with a switch to break or open the connection between the preamp and amp. The switch is opened by inserting a 1/4" male into the effects return to prevent an output being connected to the preamp output, which could get ugly. It's MI line level, and in practice can safely be used for many things other than effects. So plugging anything into effects return should take the integrated preamp out of circuit. Effects return is often used to use an external preamp and external out to drive (slave) an additional amp.

As for the stereo input, that's usually for getting both channels from a stereo source, like a computer, phone or other stereo device. The two channels get mixed down to one and both are present at the output of the amp. Handy feature that I wish my amp had. Without it I have to mix a stereo signal to mono myself or run one channel through my stereo (hifi) amp. Not a big deal, but it would be handy for Rocksmith or playing with youtube.

tinchobass, kekani and bobcruz like this.
  9. tinchobass

tinchobass

Aug 14, 2011
    Thanks!

10. tinchobass

tinchobass

Aug 14, 2011
    Oh... I´m affraid to ask :woot:

11. tinchobass

tinchobass

Aug 14, 2011
    Because I already had the Eden, I´ve got the TH pedal through a no-brainer deal and because I live in Argentina and stuff here is ALMOST twice the price :rollno:

I think that is the way I´ll be going in the end. I've found that most of the actual bass heads (not to mention combos) has not enough volume for a small-to-medium live performance, having two not-so-loud guitars at your side. The impedance flexibility, channel volume independency and so are very handy features as well. I´m targeting a Crown XLS 2000, since has a little best reputation, regarding reliability, than Peavey and the nowadays on budget PA queen... Behringer INuke.

Thanks!

12. tinchobass

tinchobass

Aug 14, 2011
    Thanks, that was very clarifying.