Eden wtx500 vs. Aguilar tone hammer 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 1951basstone, Jan 30, 2017.

1. 1951basstone

1951basstone

Apr 4, 2016
    I have been using an Eden wtx264 with Eden D210T and Eden 115xlcabs. I like the sound but was thinking of a little more headroom. Would I notice much of a difference with Eden wtx500? How would you compare this head with the Aguilar tone hammer 500.
    I do like the small lightweight heads.
    I play a variety of styles and basses (electric & upright) with mostly old school playing.

2. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Have played both, gigged a Tone hammer for awhile. A solid head that gets a lot of love around here. A definite baked in tone. And under powered for my needs. Your current amp is lower powered but not significantly so.

You might notice more power but, if you want to upgrade I go for a little more power. Like the Genzler Magellan, Mesa D800, EBS Reidmar 750. A little more money, a lot more amp.

Curious about the new Aguilar 700 watt head too.

The Eden is a cleaner sounding head for sure. So if you like that sound the tone hammer might not be a great choice.

1951basstone and pjbassist like this.
  3. I have both the WTX260 and WTX500. In truth, there's not a lot of headroom to be gained by getting the WTX500 over the WTX264. If you feel like you'd only need a little more headroom to be satisfied then it may fit the bill but you won't likely have any extra on tap. The TH500 is nothing like the Eden sound wise so you'll have to test one out to make sure it's tone is for you. The WTX500 and the TH500 share the same output power module so IMO you likely wouldn't see massive gains in volume with the TH500 either.

4. 1951basstone

1951basstone

Apr 4, 2016
    Thanks for your suggestion. I got the Mesa D800. Best amp I've used in 50years of playing.

aproud1 likes this.
  5. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    :bassist:

You're welcome. Glad you found something that works for you.