Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden XLT: one 410 VS two 210's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Jan 10, 2005.

1. So let's say, instead of a 4 Ohm 410 cabinet, I got two 8 Ohm 210 cabinets (you know, more flexible, easier to carry). Would the tonal result be the same? Just as much punch/volume? Or maybe not at all?

Discuss! :)

2. Two 210s should have a tighter bottom, because the more compact design and baffling of a 210 is more efficient. The enclosures are also stiffer; my D410T hardly vibrates when I'm playing so a 210 will be that much better. Stronger cab = less energy lost IMO. I think 210's can maximize a speakers performance too. Then again I think a lot of things. :D

Plus two Eden 210s are taller than a 410 so you'll hear yourself that much better, unless you're a midget.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually accoridng to eden and some of the listening i've done a 410 xlt sounds much more liek two 210t's than 2 210xlts
    compared to their 410s with the same drivers, eden's 210s tend to have better low end response due to more porting per driver.

4. So two 210 XLTs should sound like a 410 XST then. Cool

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've actually done this very experiment. The 2x210's had slightly more bottom end than the 4x10. I found out later it's because the 2x10's are tuned slightly lower (38Hz) than the 4x10 (41Hz).

But generally speaking, the sound was very similar. I second the idea that a "tower of 10's" will also be better than blowing your sound through your legs.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I also did this exact experiment. I had some technical help from Munji on this one. I even saved the PMs he sent me about it. :)

Anyway...for several reasons, the two 210's is a better option.

-Mike

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been running two 2-10XLTs for a few years now. I've played several gigs where I left my rig at home because a back line was supplied, and it was usually a 4-10XLT with a 800rb, 1001rb, Eden, or hartke head. They're very similar in tone, and my experience has been that the 4-10 cab had a little more bottom. That's not to say that two 2-10XLTs don't have enough bottom - they really do. The 4-10XLT just has slightly more bottom, and it was a subtle difference.

My main reason for going with the two 2-10s cab configuration is that I usually load and unload my gear on my own. I'm way over 40 years old, so I have to think of my aching back. Two compact cabs are easier to move than one large 4-10. When you young 20-something year old whipper-snappers get to my age you'll start worrying about your back too! LOL!!!

:hyper: :eek: :hyper:

8. LOL whipper snappers.

9. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I'm 23 and have back problems already, so I feel your pain. :)

I had a huge rig for a while which I've scaled down and now I use two 8 ohm Genz-Benz 210T-XBs. I used to use a 410T-XB and a 210T-XB together, but the 410 was unnecessary. I'm a big fan of 210 cabs. I stack mine so I have 4 speakers in a vertical line. I think it sounds great, and is very compact. When stacked that way, my whole rig is only about 21" wide as opposed to the 25" wide they were when I stacked the 410 and 210 the normal way. (I know Eden cabs are 23" wide, and I think the 210XLT is about 20" wide when stood on end. The 210XST or 210T would both be about 18" wide when stood on end)

Anyway, there are a dozen reasons to go with a pair of 210s over a single 410. In addition to the reasons mentioned already, I've actually used my pair of 210s spread out, one on each side of the drummer (with longish speaker cables of course) to spread the sound around a bit. It helps everyone hear the bass so I don't have to have it unbearably loud right behind me.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually i didnt comment on the xst series as i have zero experience with them. From what i understand (correct me if i am wrong) the xst cabinets were eden's answer to the newer epifani/bergantino/etc sound which was more balanced and hi-fi and didnt have the charactaristic eden low mid bump.