Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the captain, Jun 26, 2003.

1. the captain

the captain

Aug 31, 2002
    has anyone compared the new XST 210 & 410 cabs against the older XLT versions ? if so let me know what you thought. thanks
  2. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A bump after six months? Lordy.

Gard? Oh Gaaaaarrrrd ...
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Haven't played through them both myself, but I've read many a thread claiming that the XST's are much more flat in frequency response, without the low-mid hump the XLT's are famous for. XST's also carry the low B better, but are a hair less efficient than the XLT's.

Yeah, Gard needs to chime in, he's spent mucho time with both.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've also heard from TomB, that the XST was a little disappointing in the low end, and doesnt sound like it reaches the nether regions it claims to. BUT, it does have a more relaxed midrange, unlike the XLT's more intense woolly, middy growl. prolly much easier to craft your own tone with your amp's EQ, while still maintaining some that patented Eden growl & warmth.

in which case, i'd just go with the XLT. good reason why alot of guys still use 'em, and why the XST isnt quite as prevalent.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, to clarify a bit, the D-210XST that I tried did sound very full-range, and was more articulate and balanced than the 210XLTs that I had tried in the past (but wasn't able to A/B). However, as for total low end output, it did not match the Epifani T-112 which I did A/B it to, and did not sound significantly deeper, although it is rated lower than the Epi. However, I was only able to try it with heads of 350w or less (Eden Time Traveler, and older SWR and Hartke heads). I did get the impression that with more headroom, the XST's would really shine.

To my ears, and for what I like to get out of a cab, I feel that the XST line is a dramatic improvement over the XLT's. Now, I fully understand that the XLT's really "get it" for a lot of guys, which is cool. Heck, I even own an XLT cab - the 212XLT - although I think that it sounds closer to the XST's than the 10" equipped XLT's. Give the XST's time, and I think that you will see a lot of them out there. With sufficient power, I think that two D-210XST's would be a very respectable rig. Or one 210XST sitting atop a 212XLT.

Hope this helps, Tom.