Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden XST, Acme, Tri 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Dec 9, 2003.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I've been shopping a round a bit for a new cabinet. There are so many cool new choices out there that it's become increasingly complicated to choose. You really have to know the sound you're after.

I'm after lows. My prefered rig would be my amp (QSX1602+Aggie659) and the venerable Ampeg SVT 8x10 or the Ampeg 4x10HLF. The Ampeg sound isn't gloriously hi-fi like Epifani or EA, but I'm willing to trade fidelity and sweet tweeters for low end grunt. What I'm not willing to do it haul around an Ampeg refrigerator.

I'm currently using a couple of SWR Gol. Jrs, which I'm reasonably satisfied with, but not quite enough low end. I like the portability of having 2 2x10 cabs. I do know I generally prefer 10's over 12's.

So my ideas are the following:

* Get an Eden XST 2x10 (or two). I've heard the 4x10 and I was impressed by the lows. The 2x10's are supposed to be better. In this scenario, I'd probably sell the Jrs.

* Add an Acme sub. So I could run 1 or 2 Jr.s with the Acme B2 sub for lows. I owned the Acme B2 (reg) before and the lows are pretty good - more flat/tight than hugely present. Problem with Acme is that they are power hungry, low-volume, and I was always worried about damaging the speaker due to hearing about several blown woofers.

* The third idea is the Tri112. I've heard great things and I imagine this is a super-hi-fi box with good lows. I'm not sure that it will have the serious grunt I'm looking for -- although I'm sure other AG products would - just too big for me.

Any thoughts? Am I just trying to put a round peg in a square hole? I'm open to other creative ideas.

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The sound you described can be had with an aguilar GS112. These cabs have great low end and sweet middle and upper registers. You will probably need two to be loud enough to gig with. Although 1 gs112 with 1 of your swr 2x10s would probably sound sweet.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    How about pairing one of your Goliath Jrs up with an Accugroove Gordo 1x18"?

Alex

4. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I owned the GS112 and it was a little farty on the low B. Cool cabs though.

5. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I couldn't find the gordo on the AG website...sounds interesting? does it weigh alot?

6. Hey Cap, check out the Bergantino NV610. According to what you would like "but", the NV610 should do exactly what you want. Also, it's not bad to move around at all either. It's 90 plus pounds are very well distributed and has handles on the sides and top with tilt back casters. It's very easy for me to lift it with my knee into my van. This cab is killer, you get the vintage SVT tones plus very clear high and lot of grunt to dial in. Hope you get to try one.

7. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Cool idea on bergie. I'm not sure that it meets my portability requirements, but I'll try and check it out.

The specs say it only goes down to 48hz. So it really delivers the lows? ampeg hlf only goes to 48hz too, and it does have lows big time.

8. I also have the Berg HT112/EX112 cabs and together they pack some serious punch and low end. It's true that one single Berg 112 does not go as low as some of the competition, but two of them will shake your soul. I got the NV610 for bigger gigs and outdoor events. All three of them together is really something to hear... I hear the Berg HT210 are very impressive too.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you're worried about blowing stuff, especially at the volumes you play, i'd stay away from the Acme 2x10's.

if you dig the Acme sound, then by all means, go for a pair of 4x10's. IMHO, they're one of the bigger sounding, kick you in the bowels kinda cabs i've ever heard. also, they weigh only 75 lbs. so they're rather portable as far as 4x10's go.

but, in your case, and you wanna stay mobile, the XST's might be your only option. of all accounts i've heard, they sound great. not quite as "hifi" as the Acmes, due to that famous/infamous Eden raspy, aggro upper register. but, they will reach down low, when you want them to.

and as you prolly learned, going the 12" speaker route will be definitely different for you, so i'd just stick with the pair of 2x10's.

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    http://www.accugroove.com/new_cabs.htm

And scroll down. Just noticed the price though - eeek!!

FWIW I use a pair of Acme Low-B2 cabs - I think you'd find them too clean, but driven with enough power (and using both at once) they go painfully loud and bowel-shakingly low.

The Berg NV610 looks like an excellent all-in-one solution if you deem it portable enough.

Alex

11. I've been pairing a swr goliath jr. with an aguilar gs212. imo, this is a great combination. the 10's are punchy and crisp, while the 12's add plenty of low end. the gs212 is 70 lbs, but it isn't that bad. I thought about going with the gs112, but I think it'd be awkward stacked with the goliath. Besides, I like my stack fairly tall and I get that with the 212 and 210. Have you gave any thoughts to the swr sob? I use that rig too with good results.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Of the cabs that you listed, and given what you are going for, I'd recommend the Tri 112. This would give you a great full range cab for standalone use, as well as a strong "supporting player." However, I noticed that you dropped the Epifani T-112 from your list. Let me tell you that this is a very strong cab in the low end department, and a fair standalone cab. Sure, I prefer to use mine with a T-110UL, but it sounds pretty darn good on its own, too. And boy does it have strong (and tight) low end for a cab of its size. Even though the Eden is rated lower, I heard a lot more low end out of the T-112 than I did out of the D-210XST.

Of course, the Tri 112 should deliver similar, if not better, low end performance compared to the Epi, although I have not auditioned a Tri 112 firsthand (and you do bump up some in price). I will say, though, that while the Accugroove cabs carry a heavy price tag, given their high quality and complex construction, I do think that they are worth the investment.

Ah, the sweet smell of GAS! :D ;) :bassist:

Enjoy, Tom.

13. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Thanks, Tom.

Yes, my local GC has a couple of used T-112's in stock with an all-tube Aggie head on top. Together they were super hi-fi and sounded pretty good, but they didn't do it for me. The lows are pretty solid, but I'm looking for a little more bottom grunt. A/B'd with the Ampeg HLF, there was no comparison between the HLF and the 2 T-112s. Then again, there was no comparison between the Epifani's fidelity and pretty much anything else in the shop. I guess I'm willing to trade fidelity for grunt.

Also, as sweet as the T-112's are, they're still 12's, which I've decided are just not my bag.

That bums me out that you heard more low-end in the T-112 than the XST. I was hoping that was the ticket.

I'm going to try out the Tri 112; even though it's based on a 12", I wonder if the 6" will give it enough snappiness swing it back to the 10" vibe. I'm going to guess it's in the Epifani camp -- sweet tone and tweeters with decent lows. Hopefully enough to satiate my GAS.

I'm kinda looking for a blues/reggae tone here ... bass that is felt as much a heard.:meh:

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Then the Gordo as suggested above might be your ticket. Another suggestion would be to have a custom cab builder like Low Down Sound or Joey Nahas build you a cab customized to your goals. I certainly think that what you are after is obtainable, and both of these custom cab makers have some happy customers here on TB.

Tom.

15. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    This is my suggestion. Get a single 410XLT. It is still a little hefty to haul but you'll have headroom to push when needed. I run 2 of these cabs with my Wt800 at they sound great, low-end, mids and highs are where they need to be.

Good Luck.

16. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I'm currently using an Eden Metro with an Accugroove Tri-112. I sold an Eden 410-XLT and an Eden 210-XLT to get it, no regrets. You can turn down the mids and tweeters if necessary, I haven't had to do that with the AG but always had to turn them down on my Eden cabs.

Wally

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    There are a lot of good suggestions here already, but let me add a couple more.

Two Bergantino HT210's: they have great low-end, with plenty of punch and are very smooth from the midrange up, just EQ to your desired taste.

Another to consider, a pair of EA CxL-112's might just trip your tone trigger (very portable too).

18. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Cap'nW, I can understand that 12s don't ring your chimes, but I'm surprised that a pair of Epi T-112s were found lacking in grunt. Mine can punch me in the chest, just like a 410. You need a lotta watts though, on the order of 1000 or 1500, to get the clean headroom. One case where tube watts are not any "bigger" than solid state watts.

I use one or two T-112s with a Stewart World 1.2 and have no complaints (although Tom, here, has me gassin' for a T-110 to sit on top of a T-112, as noted in another thread.) They also worked great with the QSC PLX 1602 that I used to have.

Also, FWIW, if you think the Epi 112s lack punch, I doubt you would be happy with the Bergantino 112s.

19. Grettings and Happy Holidays
    Bergantino 112 have so much punch you'll think you got kicked square in the nadz....jmho.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    youch,

Merry Christmas to your gonads, indeed.

:eek: