Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden XST over XLT for C# Low Tuning?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Ok as i am still new to the art of cabs, but any thoughts/suggestions would be helpful :)

I currently have Eden 2x10 XLT and a 1x10 XLT powered by a GK 1001RB-II. Recently when ive been playing hard (at a show not usually in practice) the cabs will distort and sound very "farty."

And i did just replace the battery in my ray with no luck :(

Anyways my question, is it WORTH it to switch from a 2x10 XLT to an XST because its able to handle lows better?

My band despite my pleas will not change from our radicle C#, G#, C#, F# tuning :(

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Lazlo -

I won't guarantee that the XST won't "fart", however, the XST cabs are rated to handle MUCH lower frequencies than the XLT's, plus they handle more power, so they will be less likely to distort from being pushed hard. I'd recommend trying one out if you can, if you can't PM me, and I can make a recommendation that will help you out.

3. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I usually pair up my 210 XLT with a 115XLT. No problem with the low B with this combo pushed with an SVP-Pro and RMX 1450. One thing about the Eden cabs that is annoying in the farting sound coming out of the 1/4 jacks when pushing a lot of air. Try plugging the unused jacks.

4. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I can say from my experience that 210's pushed fairly hard no matter what, will more than likely "fart" on you, it depends upon what your definition of pushing is. I own an Eden WT 800 and two 410 XLT's and I have played a 210 XLT a couple of times at a store so I have had some experience in this department. When I have tried out the Eden 210's with some volume, they give out very easily and I didn't think I was pushing them to hard but, again, everyones definition of pushing is different. Frankly, I would spend the money on the 410 XLT or 410 XST, your money will be best spent there.

5. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I had a similar experience with my GK 700rb-I. The low E would fart before the other strings at normal volume levels. The kind folks on this forum gave suggestions and the best one was to lower the input gain. I play passive basses so the -10db pad was not engaged and the input gain was set at 12:00. The boost was set at 12:00 also and the woofer amp was adjusted to get the desired volume. This went a long way to clearing the problem up. I think I was clipping the input, even though the "clip" light never came on. I have learned that this light doesn't act like others in setting the input gain.
    I also tried out some Eden cabs when I was shopping for new speakers. The GK head farted worse on the Eden cabs than an Eden head did. In my post about the low E string, I surmised that maybe the GK didn't have enough current to adequately control the woofers. Dan Elliott countered saying that GK heads have more current than any comparable heads out there. I have no reason to doubt him. It could be that the Eden cabs are not optimized to handle the type of current your 1001rb-II is putting out. My experience with Eden gear is limited, but it seems like the overall sonic objective is a warm (what some call wooly), fat sound. Your GK is punchy, clear, and deep and may be asking things of the Edens that they are reluctant to offer.

6. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    My older band used to use that tuning and then the guitarists decided to drop another half step to C,G,C,F and I had no problem with the low C, I actually tried an Eden D410XLT with my bass in that tuning and had no problem reproducing it, but I settled on a D215XLT instead. Now since the singer and one of the guitarists have branced off from the others we've started to tune D,A,D,G. I believe you need more cone area, try the D410XLT or D410XST and I think that should clear up your problem, or maybe try putting a 15 under the 210, if that doesn't work bi-amp and send the lows to the 15 and the higher stuff to the 210. You are most likely pushing too much for those to handle.
    peace
    -Ben

7. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Thanks to all you guys, i tried all the suggestions but this was the magic one that i got my desired sound :)

Turning my volume up to 12 o clock and adjusting the volume from the woofer dial got the desired sound perfectly and got rid of all the "farting" i was hearing.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.