Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden XST vs. Acme B-2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 26, 2002.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey! I'm planning on eventually cutting down to a 2x10 from my current Eden D410-T. I've been reading about both of the above cabs and was wondering if anyone has played both and can give me a comparison/contrast. I know one contrast is that the Acme will run somewhere around 200 bucks cheaper. Aside from price though how do these compare. Please don't say one or the other "rules!" if you've never played both. I may be hard-pressed here to find someone who HAS played both... (Gard?!) Any helpful comments appreciated.

Thanks!

brad cook

2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I can't bring that much to the table, but volume wise...the XST will be a lot louder/efficient. Don't know if that's an issue. The Eden definitely has more cut too.
    The XST just handles all the lows you can give it without budging. Lot of depth for a 2x10.
    But then lots of good is said about those Acmes.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    is the XST billed as a "31hz reaching", all in one 2x10 cab like the Acme?

the Acme is, and andy prides his product on being able to do so. the XST just seems like an extension of the XLT line. whether or not, its in the same frequency handling ballpark as the Acme is highly doubtful, unless Eden developed and marketed this cab as such.

as for the cutting issues, that's what your EQ is for. whatever the cab i use whether my Bergie 1x12, Aguilar 1x12, a mix of both, or my Demeter 3x10, and yes, even my Acme, i always EQ to get the right tone for the room i need. cabs all sound different in their own right, and EQ'ing levels the playing field.

with my Acme, i have no problem cutting thru. but if its a volume issue, then that's another story. :)

just my two cents.

4. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    The XST is tuned to 30 Hz.

5. Is this published somewhere, or is 30 Hz identified by actual measurement?

I'd like to add that data to my spread sheet if it can be confirmed as accurate.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't know what it's actually tuned to but Gard told me that he called Eden and the freq response range they gave him is 30hz-18khz. I believe it's supposed to be Eden's answer to complaints that the XLT series doesn't handle the low B well (as you surely confirmed with your tests).

joker,

I don't feel that the XST is just an extension of the XLT line. The numbaz are significantly different for the two. The Acme is the only other 2x10 with comparative freq. response that I've seen. There may be others out there though that I just don't know about. These two seem to be da bomb when it comes to them low, low freq's.

brad cook

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    otherwise there are no published tested specs on this cab yet.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I can't comment on a direct comparison of the two cabs in question, as I've never heard the Acme - just heard very good things about it, and the one negative: It's power hungry.

The XST will have one advantage at the very least: It is fairly efficient at using the power you give it. I drive my 8 ohm 410XST with one channel of a WT-1000 (~250 watts RMS @ 8 ohms per channel) and it gets PLENTY loud. Eventually, I will be running the WT bridged, and hitting my cab(s - there will be another eventually :D) with the full force of the 1000 watts @ 4 ohms.

(I can see the bleeding eardrums already! :eek: ;) )

As for the XST being an "extension" of the XLT, I don't believe this is so. The XLT drivers are rated for lower power (the 410 XLT is rated at 700 watts, the 410 XST is rated at 1000), and the cabinet is "voiced" with a strong low-mid "hump" in it's frequency response, while the XST is a flat-response (nothing is perfectly flat in all situations, but...) cabinet. Also, the XST cabs are capable of going considerably lower before rolling off, the "official" specs on the 410XST are +/- 3db @ 36hz, on the 410XLT it is +/- 3db @ 48hz (I'm typing from memory right now, so any errors will be corrected later! :p).

According to my well-placed sources (Judy Nordschow @ Eden!), the unpublished specs on the 210XST are for +/- 3db @ 30hz - if this is in error, I am sure that it is not very far from accurate, based upon my own testing (my ears!). There is a noticable difference in low end between the 410XLT and XST; and a similar difference between the 410 and 210 XST.

The best thing, to me, is that that low end isn't "boomy" at all - it's still very tight and punchy.

I will be happy to contact Eden for an "official" statement as to the measued frequency response on the D210XST if anyone wishes.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Damn you, Gard...I'm back to wanting the XST now!! You're one slick salesman. You should be working at a used bass lot. :) Damn that hefty pricing too... I wish THEY sold direct.

brad cook

[EDIT]: Oh yeah...thanks for the info too! :)

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    As a matter of fact, we do have used instruments...

;)

Naw, I don't want to "steer" you into any purchase man, I just can't give you any real information on the Acme cab, so I gave you what I could on the XST.

Wish I could be more help with the price, but there's only so far I can go before I'm flippin' burgers for mortgage money!

:eek:

:D

11. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Here's a link you might be interested in:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM02/Content/Eden/PR/D-210XST.html

and another:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM02/Content/Eden/PR/D-112XLT.html

I also measured the humps on a D-210XLT at one time and found approx +6dB at 76hz and +10db at 155hz. I'm thinking about waiting for that 112 to come out ( January according to Judy ) instead of going for the 210 now. It would be smaller and lighter for taking to practice/small-med gigs and I can add a 210 for large gigs.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh ok, my bad...

seems like somebody wasnt happy with Andy being the only guy stateside offering a cool all in one cab like the Acme.

btw, without giving away too much, is the price of the XST as comparable as the Acme's?

if so, i think its high time for a little shootout, no? :D

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I believe the XST will run you somewhere around 200 bucks more. I'd still like to see a shootout though! From what I hear both cabs handle the lows well but the Eden sounds more efficient while the B-2 has a dedicated midrange speaker and sounds like it might have better crossover handling (this is what I get from reading everything I can find about both cabinets from various users and Gards :) ).

Actually I think rather than being an answer to the B-2 or direct competition with some other cabinet the XST was an answer to Eden users who weren't happy with the low B handling and the notorious low-mid yadda yadda of the XLT series.

brad cook

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I believe you are on the right path.

:D

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    geez louise,

i can only imagine the tone and low end with an Acme B2, and this Eden together... :eek:

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Me too...as I'm sure I will never find out in real life due to financial constraints!

brad cook

17. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    When you gotta cab at 102 SPL and the other at 90 SPL like the acme playing simultaneously, you will not hear the acme. You shouldn't get enamored with this combination because of low end prowess only. You get into a boomy room and you can take all the 36hz response you want and it's next to useless.

Just a weak opinion.

L

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I never had any low B issues when I ran one or two Eden D210XLT cabs.

Also, on the cutting tip, I think that's a function of the cab. I haven't had a rig in recent memory that didn't cut well live without any amp EQ tweaks.

If it ain't broke, you don't have to fix it. YMMV

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    maybe, but that's what 2 channel stereo power amps are for. ;)

besides, once you've gone 31hz tuned cabs with your LowB, it sure is hard as heck to go back to anything else... :D

20. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I happen to disagree, 'cause I had an ACME B2 but got rid of it due to the pronounced low end & beautiful tone. Yep, that's right. I said beautiful. The tone of the ACME cab was downright heavenly, but no matter how I EQ'd it, it never had enough grunt to cut through in the way I like. (and don't spout power **** at me cause i was using a Stewart 2.1). Now i'm sure many of you WANT this tone, but to me, it just didn't fit the bill.

That's me, the devil's advocate.