Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I'm planning on a new amp. If i were to go with Eden I would probably go with the Eden WT400 Traveler or the Eden WT600 Roadrunner. The thing is that these amps cost a lot of money. I would ratehr have the 600 but it may be too much. What are the major differences in these amps other than power? Would I be less satisfied with the 400? Any help is appreciated. thanks

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The primary difference is that the 600 is a stereo amp and the 400 is a mono amp. The one odd thing about Eden stereo amps is that the only run in bridged mono at 8ohms. You can run each side separately at 4 ohms and maximum wattage per side. If you don't need a stereo amp, and are sold on eden, get a Wt400 or look into the WT550 which may be more of what you are looking for.

3. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    thanks for the input. Im not totally sure about stereo and mono, like the perks and differences. But i know i dont need an overwhelming amount of power... i dont want to play every show on 1.5 But as for stereo and mono, what would i need either for? thanks

also ive been hearing stuff about the thunderfunk. havent played or even heard of one. Good stuff? and what is it comparable too and the pricing on it

4. WT 550. don't need stereo. more cab options. 2 ohm stable.

you should be able to get the wt 550 for under $1,000 easily. I am guessing an aggressive dealer will sell it to you for 800-ish. that is not exactly pocket change, but don't pay anything close to $1,350-ish retail.

5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    ok i dont really understand all of this power stuff and i really want to get an Eden head for 2 8 ohm mesa cabs....i was thinking either the wt600 or wt800...would that be ok?

6. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    Cool, I think I'm going to check out the 550 head. Also, is it rackmountable? It looks very small

7. rackmountable with "ears". it is a lightweight though.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep. The WT-550 is what you want.

9. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    WT550 sounds pretty good, but does it have all the same features as at WT 800 or WT 600? Obviously less power but I really like the features with the 800 and 600. I can get the 600 for about 1,000. I think i would like to get the 600 but if the 550 will do all the 600 can do maybe ill go for that.

10. Well the only thing the 550 can't do as well is run stereo. the 550 is not as big and heavy. So, you probably would get a better workout carrying the WT 600. You should be able to get the WT550 for 800-1000. It is easier to sell since they are in high demand.

11. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I love my WT400 and I play in loud rock bands, it does the job just fine.

12. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    you should get the 550. if you want to run two eight ohm cabs. eden's wt 600 and 800 will only bridge to 8 ohms so you would have to run it 8 ohms per side. to get max wattage out of your head you would have to add 2 more 8 ohm cabs to get 4 ohms per side. i think the 550 would push more wattage through a 4 ohm load(2 eight ohm cabs) than the 600 or even the 800. you could always get 2 4 ohm cabs to get max power out of the 600 or 800 but then you would have to run them both all the time(or use one side of the amp, i don't know if that's recommended) but the 550 would also push those cabs (or just one) just fine.

btw i never understood why eden's "high end" amps could only handle an 8 ohm load bridged, while some of their "lower end" amps can push 2 ohms. that's one thing that steered me away from them even though they have great tone. i just can't own an amp that can't push a 4 ohm stand alone cab. too limiting.

13. I'm the same way. I was nearly sold on the Eden WT800. Easy to find on Ebay for under a grand, but when I learned that they can only bridge at 8 ohms I thought that must be a mistake. It's apparently not. Why make an amp that is that close to perfection? I just dont see the point in setting up the power output like that. So few people run setups like that. Most people who would use that much power are either using a single 8 ohm cabinet, or a 4 ohm 8x10. Makes the Eden WT800 a big waste of money. Is the 550 comparable in tone quality/reliability/volume? I've had to rule out Eden as my next head, but I'm starting to think maybe Genz Benz or Ashdown or even SWR might be a better bet. I wonder how much that GBE1200 is going to run for. Probably more than everything I own.

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Not a techie per se but I'll reason an answer to the 8 ohms minimum question regarding Eden WT800. ALL Stereo power amps have minimum impedance load ratings for EACH side. (The Eden is rated at 400 watts at 4 ohms minimum per side) Any time you bridge a power amplifier, you run both sides in SERIES which RAISES the minimum impedance rating to twice of what it would normally be for any one side. 4 ohms plus 4 ohms (in series) is 8 ohms. In order to make the WT800 stable at 4 ohms in bridge mode, EACH side would have to be designed to run stably at 2 ohms minimum load.(giving you a 4 ohm "floor" to work with in bridge mode) Cost, weight, heat and reliability among other things are probably a determining factor as to why David designed it that way.

Notice most of your mono bass heads have a 4ohm minimum load rating.
    The wt800 is TWO mono 400 watt power sections that you can bridge.
    The WT800 was designed to push the Eden 410XLT cab to its rated power handling. Most guys in 1996 were using one 410 cabinet, but the guys who went with a double stack of 8 ohm 410XLT's still were able to push 500 watts RMS from the WT800 which is still respectable.
    500 RMS watts into 8 ten inch speakers moves air.
    Nowadays we're screaming for something different. I dont expect to see the WT800 around much longer personally.

Your glass is either half full or half empty.

15. So my cabinet is an 8x10, but it is really broken up into two, in one big box. there are 1/4" inputs on both the top 4 and the bottom 4 (top 4 has a horn), speakon inputs for both, and there is one at the top for mono operation. It is designed with the two separate cabs being rated at 8 ohms, and the mono is rated at 4. What possible configurations could I do with a WT800, and what would their impedance ratings/wattage be? I've never used an Eden, but they're incredibly intriguing to me. I'm considering purchasing one, but wont if I cant get the best out of it, because I'm pretty attatched to my cabinet I have.

16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    You essentially have two 4-10 cabs at 8 ohms each. Total load is 4 ohms.
    Using a WT800 in stereo (each side of the amp firing on the upper and lower section seperately) you'd have 235 watts RMS X 2 = 470 watts RMS power with peak power probably rated at what.....1200 watts? ........anyway. With an Eden WT550 you get what (Angelopb?) 500 watts at 4 ohms? not much difference between the two. If you had FOUR 8 ohm cabinets you could hook them ALL up to the WT800 and get 800 watts RMS out of it. (crazy idea, unless your using 4 small single twelve cabs-hey that would rock) Anyway, the WT800 gives you a little more flexibility in terms of running more speakers, and running effects in stereo if your in to that. Let me know if your interested in one, I'm selling mine for $700 plus shipping and downsizing my rig. (getting away from racks all together)

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if i were to buy an eden today i'd get the wt-550. You get very little extra from a 600 or 800 except the ability to run stereo effects or biamp, or to really push one 8 ohm cabinet if that's all you are going to ever use.