Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Edens for Acmes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Mar 18, 2002.

1. I bought two Eden 210xlts this year and really love them but now I've got back trouble and need something lighter.I need two cabs,one for home and one for practice.I've got my eye on Acme LowB-2s.I use a Carvin R 1000 head so I think I have enough power.Should I get 4ohm or 8ohm cabs?I can get 700w.bridged @8ohms and 1000w.@4ohms.I know someone had trouble running a 4ohm B-4 with an R-600 so should I get two 4ohm and run one on each side?This really sucks cause I really love these Edens,but I have to get something lighter to save my back.I also thought of Aguilar 112s.Any help would be great.I think I've got the Edens sold already.

2. I demo'd a pair of Eden 2x10s before deciding on the Acmes. I haven't been disappointed. They do sound different - smoother and flatter. They are certainly lighter than the Edens. I chose the 4 ohm model and have never had a volume problem using my QSC 2402 (700 wpc into 4 ohm)

Jeff

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That somebody would be me, I think.

I'm confused, though: you say you want two cabs, one for home and one for practice, but then you talk about using one off each side of the amp. Are you planning to use both at a time or just one? If you want to run two, I'd get two 4 ohms and run one off each side. You'll get about 350 W per side that way. You won't be able to get huge volume, but at least the amp is unlikely to shut down. I personally would want to have a bit more power available for each cab, as 600-700 W seems to be a nice amount to have on tap for these. But I have run a 4 ohm Acme off one side of a Carvin all night and nothing bad happened (though I couldn't get very loud).

If you want to run one cab at a time and don't need a lot of volume, I'd be tempted to get 8 ohm cabs and bridge the amp into *one 8 ohm cab at a time*. From bitter experience, I really don't recommend bridging the Carvins into a 4 ohm *Acme* load. This may change one day, but I've been down that road recently, and it's a drag. I'm not saying this holds for all 4 ohm loads, mind you.

Can't say about the Ags, never having tried them, but the word of mouth is certainly good, and I'm sure someone who has used them can fill you in.

4. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I agree with Jeff about liking the Acme sound. But note the power he's using. That's what I would also recommend power-wise. And even then the Acmes won't compete with the 210XLT's for loud rock stuff. At least that's my experience. I think you should try the cabs first, if possible with a power amp comparable to the 2402. Acmes sound fantastic IMO but the sound is disappointing to some people. Tastes vary.

5. If you love your Edens why not invest in one of those foldable hand trucks. It's easier to roll the cabs than carry them. If you have to negotiate stairs just get one of your bandmates to help you.

My $0.02,
    Jeff

6. Thanks Richard,that's what I was afraid of.I need two cabs so I don't have to lug a speaker to practice every time but when I play out I use both most of the time.I guess I really don't have the power to use a pair of B-2s.Maybe I should look into the Aguilar 112s.A pair of them should be loud enough for most gigs and then I could run my amp bridged.Any other light weight solutions?
    Thanks for the input so far;:)

7. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Two points about the Aguilar 112, I checked them out at a local Sam Ash and they had a beautiful tone. I another bassist played them after me (and better). But when he got really aggressive and loud they began to distort a little (powered by the DB359). Very surprising. They are not very small; deeper than they appear in the photos. Otherwise, very clear, nice tone. Good luck.

8. I have a pair of the Aggies and I love them. I haven't had an opportunity to play the Acmes but IMO the Aggies sound is in the same vein as the Eden cabs I've tried. A pair of the Aggies should work well with your amp. I'm considering picking up a Carvin DCM1000 and a preamp to go with mine.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that you don't have the power for a pair of B-2s, period. It all depends on how loud you play. If you don't play loud, you have enough. I mean, I've done some gigs with one B-2 and either an Eden WT400 (400 W) or one side of a Carvin R600 (~225 W), and it's been OK. But I couldn't play loud and didn't have any power to speak of in reserve.

It looks as if the Ags are considerably more efficient, so you should get more volume for your watts.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Are you positive it was the 112s and not the DB359? That amp is only 200 W or so, right? I'd think it would be quite easy to get it to clip when you get "really aggressive and loud."

11. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    All I can add is the player switch the amp over to the GS210 and played the same licks without a problem. He was standing very very close to the GS112, which were on top of the GS115, so if feed back can make a bass speaker to "blurr", then that could have caused it. I am not experienced enough to say for certain what caused it. I am still considering the GS112. Would like know more about the reason for this. Like I said, it has a nice sweet bass sound.:confused: