Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden's minimum Ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jan 8, 2002.

1. How low can a WT-800 go in Ohms? Can it lower itself all the way to 2 Ohms? I need to know so i can decide on Cabnet Options.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    4 ohms on each side. So you could run one 4-ohm speaker off each side of the amp, or two 8's on each side.

3. Or, in mono bridged mode, you can run one 8ohm cab, for 800w of power.

4. Does it really run at 800w at 8ohms in mono bridged?

Also, so then if i wanted to, i could also run a 4 ohm cab on one side, and an 8 ohm on the other?

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, it does. And yes, you can.

6. All of the above comments are correct!

7. I didn't know that you could have a 4 ohm on one side and a 8 ohm on the other. how many watts does it put into the 8 ohm side? Do you plug one of the jacks into mono (8 ohm) and the other into the right stereo (4 ohm)? So I could run a 410xlt (4 ohm) on one side and a 115xlt on the other? I am drooling.....

8. Well with that, you would plug one into the left stereo and the other into the right stereo. As far as watts go, from what i'm understanding from what was said, it would still put out 400watts since when it's in bridged, it puts out 800 at 4 or 8 ohms.

9. Now wait, if it can push 800 watts in 8 ohms in mono bridged, what does it put out at 4 ohms?

10. See, that's what i was missing. It's nice to have that cleared up. Thanks cruise

Then here's a question for you guys. Would you recommend getting a D-410XLT in 4 or 8 ohms, to run with the WT-800? What does the head run at in stereo with an 8 ohm cab? well, the side running the 8 ohm that is

11. Also, if you have one 4 ohm cab on one side, and a 8 ohm on the other, and want to balance out the volume distrabution, you can use the balance knob to take away power from one of the sides.

12. Last question i swear.

When looking at the specs, it says that if the cab is at +/- 2db the frequency is 50hz - 13khz but if it's at - 6db it goes down to 31hz. How would you get the - 6db it is reffering to so that the cabnet goes down even lower for a nice low B. Otherwise, the XST cab would seem like the way to go since at +/- 2db, it's at 32hz.

13. Remember too that the WT800 isn't really "stereo" - it's just 2 400w/4ohm (or 230w/8ohm) poweramps, that can either be used independently, full-range bi-amped, or properly bi-amped (with lows going to one side, mids/highs to the other).

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You compensate with EQ, basically. Remember, though, that effectively bass frequencies need more power to be reproducible at the levels we want. So if you ask your amp to put out, say, 6 dB more around 30 hz, you're also asking it to put out significantly more power. This is OK if you have the headroom, but if you've been hovering close to clipping at flat EQ settings, bumping up the EQ at 30 Hz will most likely put you over the line.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Each of the 400 watt-at-4 ohm amps will deliver approximately 240 watts into an 8 ohm load. In general, the Eden amps deliver about 60% of their rated 4 ohm load into 8.

As was correctly pointed out, the only thing you can mono-bridge this amp into is 8 ohms for 800 watts. For maximum flexibility, therefore, you're better off with 8 ohm cabs to mix 'n max with the WT800.

16. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I used a WT-800 for over 2 years and the way it works with 8ohms in one side and 4ohms in the other is that it doesn't. The amp will cut out. The heat sensor thinks it’s running to hot and triggers the emergency cut off. The same is true when running one 4ohms cab in one side, this happened to me at more gigs then I would like to remember:( . The guys at Eden are very helpful but that doesn't change the fact that the amp doesn't like anything other than being bridged into 8ohms or 4ohm stereo. I had an Epifini 2x12 (4ohm) and an Eden D210XLT (8ohm) and the problems went on for more than six months and numerous trips to the shop. It wasn't until I got a second D210XLT that the problem was taken care of. You also have to give the amp at least 1 free rack space above it for cooling to occur because the vents are on top of the amp even though the fan is in the back. :oops:

As far as power goes, it runs 800 watts RMS at 8ohms bridged, 400x400 watts RMS at 4ohm stereo, 325x325 watts RMS at 8ohms stereo. These figures are the bottom line for power rating. It will peak at 1200 watts at 8omhs bridged:D . I never had to run the amp above the halfway point on the master ever and the pre was never above it either. This amp has juice as long as you play by its rules. Good luck.

17. Hmjuice, I think your WT800 might be sick. I have no trouble running 4ohms on one side at full noise, or one 8ohm'er on each side (never tried 4ohm'ers either side, I can see where that might cause problems). Sure, the poweramp gets hot (sometimes causing my SKB rack to heat up nicely) but it's never died.

*touch wood* :eek:

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    According to the manual, the WT800 is 240x240 watts RMS 8 ohms stereo.

19. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I have the same manual but the engineers up in Minnesota say its 325. Unfortunately I'm on a first name basis with some of them because they had to replace my unit once and it was always in the shop. I owned that unit from '98-'00 and they have made some adjustments to the boards so that the sensors and tube don't move around as much, which is what they determined to be the problem with both units. I wasn't the only one that had this problem, I've spoken to numerous users that where in the same boat.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Eden folks I spoke to on the phone said 200! The 240 in the manual strikes me as much more likely.