Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden's Speaker Specs? Makes Me Go, "Huh???"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 20, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    so, i'm lookin' over Eden's website for their speakers, and their speaker frequency specs greatly concern me.

i.e. their 2x10XST is said to hit 30Hz, while the larger 4x10XST only hits 36Hz. then, the real kicker, their 1x12 is rated to hit 32Hz, and yet, the larger 1x18 hits 42Hz! :eyebrow:

am i missing something here, or do these numbers seem rather funky?

http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/cabs/index.asp

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Different cabinets are tunned differently.

Consider the amount of volume per speaker in the 210XST vs the 410XST. Because of the tweater placement you have more in the 210XST. Also consider the port volume per speaker.... See where Im going?

Also consider that the 118 was designed years ago and the 112 is fairly new. Technological advancements rawk.

3. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
  4. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I think you are missing the big picture here. :p Eden has come out with a new 6x10 speaker cabinet! 1050 watts and 107 db SPL. Drool....I want one of these.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Those of us who've seen Eden's claims and have knowledge of how these things work all wonder where they get off. Claims of 106dB/watt with an f6 at 36 Hz from four tens in a 7 cu ft enclosure, for instance, don't jibe with reality.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, if anything when i tried the "new" 1x12, it didnt feel like anything close to my acme 1x10's, nor the Aguilar GS112 alongside it at the time. IMHO, its like the 1x12's are 42Hz, and the 1x18's should be 32Hz.

8. I've always sort of vaguely wondered how Eden comes up with their numbers. They do seem a bit 'inflated.' FWIW I AB-ed an Eden 410XLT with an Ampeg 410HLF with the same amp at the same settings and I didn't find the Eden to be any louder than the Ampeg (rated at 98dB).

9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    All those numbers can be a bit confusing. Sometimes, just for fun, I run my PLX3002 bridged into one 112XLT. It will rattle the silverware in the kitchen and make little ripples on the surface of my beverage. No clipping here. And the sound isn't bad either. :D

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ever compare the low B'ness to other cabs?

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well, the F3 and f6 points are exagerated, but there aren't too many amp manufacturers who are honest with those. The efficiency specs are legitimate though. And the Eden hump at about 150Hz gives tham a real apparent loudness that your ears will appreciate better then a dB meter will.

Reag my sig. Your ears will tell you more in 10 seconds than you'll ever learn from specs. Go and listen to the cabs you're curious about, then decide........

12. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The only Eden I've tried that seemed to go down as low as they claim was the 210XST. It might not have been 30Hz but it had some nice low end for a 2x10.

13. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    my experience with my early 210xst (they updated it to be bigger and slightly deeper after a year or something) is that it rolls off right around the low d IME

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I believe you. I guess that's the drawback of measuring efficiency at 1K for a bass cab. I guess there's no point trying to change the industry standard, but so far all we've proved if that the Ampeg is has less going on in the high mids.

And if I wasn't on the other side of the world, I'd come and help you do some cab testing.

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That's actually perfectly believable. I'd bet that the 410xst has less per-driver volume than the 210xst (eg, it's not twice as large in volume). And, without knowing the T-S specs for the 12 and the 18, it's totally reasonable that in the boxes they got put in the 12 would reach lower than the 18.

A driver being larger doesn't really say much about it's ability to play lower, within reason anyway. The nominal response curve depends on the driver parameters, box size, and box tuning. Then, the max volume it can reach at said frequencies are affected by those factors too (and especially the "swept volume" - area times max excursion).

It may still be that the 18 can play louder at 32 Hz than the 12 can! The response spec just means that it takes more power relative to the higher frequencies, but perhaps it can handle it.