Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Edens tone???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FearandLoathing, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Could someone please try to explain to me what EDENS tone is like :confused: and what makes their amps so good (munjibunga should be able to answer) ;) :D

2. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    The only thing I can describe is that the head I have (WT-600) does a good job with my Pedulla PentaBuzz fretless. Its warm. Tight. Focused and loud! I don't even mess with the EQ, it stays flat and the magic knob stays off. Just plug in and play. I do all my tweaking on my bass. The head just brings out the "natural" tones of your bass. Others will have better explanations, I've only owned this head for 3 weeks but its an amazing head. I use to own an SWR and that is also a good head but it is more "bright" and "modern" sounding I guess. For my fretless I wanted a more natural tone.

I say if a company like Eden never really advertises and you see almost every pop band out there today using them....they got to be doing something right! The product sells itself!

3. :confused: :confused: :confused:

How is EDENS tone in comparison to Ampeg or SWR??? is it smoother more abrasive what???

4. My opinion is;

SWR= Bright, modern, good for slap happys.

Eden= Natural, EARTHY, warm, pronounced (cuts very well).

Modern Ampeg= Agressive, but something's missing, abrasive.

Vintage Ampeg= Big fat, growl, warm, Nothing's missing. (A different animal).

If you put a SansAmp BDDI in FRONT of an Eden, Look Out!

5. My opinion is;

SWR= Bright, modern, good for slap happys.

Eden= Natural, EARTHY, warm, pronounced (cuts very well).

Modern Ampeg= Agressive, but something's missing, abrasive.

Vintage Ampeg= Big fat, growl, warm, Nothing's missing. (A different animal).

If you put a SansAmp BDDI in FRONT of an Eden, Look Out

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like to call it a clean, modern sound. I know that doesn't do much to explain the tone. My first amp was a 1965 Fender Bassman 50 with a 212 enclosure. It was a tube amp, and it was "warm" sounding, until you started to overdrive it (which happened at about "3" on the gain). Then it got distorted and crappy sounding. Apparently, this crappy sound is craved by many vintage freaks, as evidenced by the fact that the folks over at Line6 made it one of the amps the Bass POD will model. I can assure you, the POD does a great job of that. When I played that model in the POD, it was close enough to that hated tone that I nearly puked.

Now the perfect antidote for Bassman 50 revulsion reaction (gag reflex) is the Eden WT-300 which, coincidentally, is another amp that the POD will model (though not as accurately as the Bassman 50). The Eden, when set flat, will give you the sound of your bass. You can hear the tone of the wood. You must adjust the EQ very judiciously ... a little dab'll do ya. If you like a lot of bottom, set the bass shelf at 1 o'clock. (12 o'clock is flat ... no cut, no gain). You want a little click? Bump the treble shelf to 1 o'clock. Jazzy sound? Cut the mid a click at 500 hz or so. Funk? Give it back some mid.

These amps are very versatile, with consistent musicality throught their range of tones. Their characterisitics are further enhanced by combining the amps with Eden cabinets, especially their D-210XLT and the classic benchmark of 410's, the D-410XLT.

If you like a grinding, dirty, overdriven tone, then Ampeg may be for you.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Over the past few days of me playing with my newly purchased rig, Eden Navigator with Eden 410XLT, I find the Navigator preamp to be very versatile with alot of different settings that can make it sing in numerous genres and styles of music, ranging from funk to reggae to rock to metal. Everything can be accomplished, and correctly, given you take a few minutes and brush up on your EQ skills. Eden makes great equipment, both construction-wise and tone-wise. I wouldn't doubt that in a second.

Eden make great amp/preamps, as well as cabinets :D, that can make your playing sound much better or make the sound that you hear in your head become reality. Definetely look into it. I hope me and Munji made another Eden Believer out of you...:D

8. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    What SansAmp product are you talking about? The DI box? I've heard the same thing about putting a SansAmp in front of the eden head will make the tone "punch/sing" more. I am curious.

yeah SWR stuff is more for slappers, it has a crisp bright modern tone. Real punchy tone but IMHO there wasn't much "warmth" at all to the SWR 900, MO'Bass, and SM-500. They all sounded similar in tone and that Aural Enhancer knob does nothing (to my ears). IMO the SWR pro series cabs are incredible. If you use them with other heads (like me) they produce some incredible tones. Their cabs on the other hand can handle a variety of tones/power. I feel they rank up there with Eden cabs.

Ampeg I never liked their stuff and I never got to try out an old SVT head. Their tones are noisy, rough, and punchy. A lot of death metal bands use these heads.

9. Now what would you say is better? The Eden Preamp with a poweramp, or an eden head? Which has a better preamp?

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I would go modular, which I real did do. Get the Eden preamp, which is the Navigator, and get a poweramp. I got the Carvin DCM2000. Very nice. I totally recommend.

11. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I was never a fan of pre-amp/power amp set ups. I tried that out and had a minor prob at a gig and i think tone is different also but....

You can not go wrong with an Eden World Tour amp. How much volume you looking for? The pre-amp section is the same in all their heads (WT-300 to WT-800) but the 600 (mine) and 800 have the bi-amp feature which can come in handy, but I do not use it (not yet).

Granted I've only owned my WT-600 for a month but for the past 8 years (literally owning every amp out there) Eden takes the cake. Really you should just try one out at the store and *hear* it. It will impress ya if you know what ur looking for. Eden cabs are also a good investment with your head but get the head first. I use my Eden with my two SWR cabs and it sounds incredible. I don't hear much difference in Eden/SWR cabs.

12. Modular's great, but a bonus of Eden heads is that you can route the preamp to a separate poweramp later on should you need more grunt. ie go for a pre/power head unit now, worry about a separate poweramp when you need it.

As everyone else has said, Eden has a VERY flat, natural tone. More often than not you don't need ANY eq whatsoever. The only bummer i've found with them is that you can't dial in a nice growl (the tube in the preamp section can't be pushed into distortion at all) - that's where you need a SansAmp pedal (almost all will give great tone, but the adjustable bass DI is the money) to dial in some faux-growl...

13. well maybe later i will get a second rig (eden) when i stat playing 5 string now i am an ampeg guy with my SVT3PRO and an AMPEG SVT6x10 (i love both very much) :) o well i will save up some cash and get an eden rig one day preferebly a 2x10 + 1x15 with a WT-600

not having an endless cash flow sucks:mad: ;)

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  15. it's 'cause you're already there, mate :D

16. It's the Bass Driver D.I. It will sweeten up anything. They give you sample settings in the booklet. IT RULES!!

Also, it has its own compression, (natural tubelike), not like a compressor.

An old Vintage SVT is "Da Bomb"
    "Nothing else in the whole world sounds like it, soldier"

TO Mr. Cookie;
    I use the WT1000 with the Navigator. It has LOTS of power/headroom, don't cost a hell of a lot more, it has separate vol & TONE, yes, tone controls for each channel. Can be used stereo, dual mono, & bridged mono.