Eden's upgrade program

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chasarms, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am curious if any of you guys have taken advantage of Eden's upgrade program.

Last week I scored a really nice set of 210XLTs, thanks to TB's own Vic. I was so enamored with them that I decided to pick up an Eden head. I snatched up the Highwayman (WT-500) that was available at the Thunderfunk site. It's mint.

So, last night I played the whole ensemble out for the first time. It was amazing. I will always love Ampeg and I am keeping my Ampeg rig, but this rig has a really polished, professional sound. I love it. Tone for days.

I thought that the rig had plenty of volume, but I am curious about the upgrade program. For about $300, I can send the amp off to Eden, and they will rebuild it into a WT-800. For what I paid, I would have less in it than I can buy a used 800 for, but I am struggling to justify it for my use.

The 210s are 8 ohm. None of the original WT amps can bridge a 4 ohm load. So, I would run it stereo no matter what.

The 500 makes 175W RMS per side at 8 ohms. The 800 makes 240W. I just can't see the extra 65 watts per side adding a $300 worth of use.

Bridged, you'd get 300 more, but I can't do that with the current cabs anyway.

2. I don't find my WT500 lacking for volume, but then I don't play at the extreme stage volumes that some others do.

By my calculations you would get less than 2 dB more volume with the upgrade, which would be barely louder. Personally, I don't think it is worth $300. For your rig, 4 ohm cabinets would be a better idea.

If you really want more volume, I'd suggest investing in a power amp that can put out 500W into 8 ohms per channel. You might also try bridging into one D210XLT. Just be careful not to overextend the drivers.
  3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I'd stay with this setup. the minimal increase won't make that much of a difference. Since they are making new amps that bridge to 4ohm (the 1205s??)they may be able to do the upgrade.
  4. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    In all honesty, you will be throwing money away. The WT 500 with 2- 8ohm 210 xlt's is a killer combo! Running that head at 4 ohms is more than enough stage power at any volume. I had two of the same boxes with a WT800 and never came close to pushing it. I have heard the 500, and to me other than the two channels, the difference was nil!
  5. I think you are confusing the WT500 that the thread poster has (250 watts per side into 4 ohms.... 500 watts bridged at 8ohms) with the new WT550... which is a mono amp that runs down to 2 ohms. The old WT500 cannot run bridged into a 4ohm load. However, that amp through a single 8ohm cab bridged should be enough to play just about anywhere IMO.

If you can upgrade to the newest power section... you could run the amp bridged into a 4ohm load... I believe at 1000 watts.... well worth the $300... but only if it allows you to run bridged into 4ohms (two 80hm cabs). If they just upgrade to the 'old' 800 power module... as others have said, not worth it, since you would still have to run in stereo, and the additional power wouldn't really be noticed.
  6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I stand corrected. I was thinking of the WT550. That is where the idea of the single channel came from.
  7. +1 I'm with you on that mono head... it's great. Maybe instead of upgrading... he should sell the WT500... with the money from that and the additional $300 he would be spending for the upgrade, he could get pretty close to that very, very nice, small, light and powerful 550.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  9. So, it looks like you can only upgrade the WT500 to the old version 800 specs... I agree then that would be a waste of money IMO.
  10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    For 300 you could buy a nice power amp that will toss out over a thousand watts into 8 ohms. Plus, you could always resell it and get your money back.

The only downside is dealing with the added bulk. Me, I made my peace a long time ago with hauling weight to get the tone I want.
  11. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    That WT-500 makes 300-watts a side at 4-ohms. It's under-rated. And I thought it will do 600-watts bridged at 4-ohms. It has a temp breaker so it'll turn off if you over drive it.
  12. Hope I'm not taking away from the author's topic, but do you guys think that upgrading a wt-300 to wt-400 specs for $195 would be worth it? What kind of difference are we talking? thanks
  13. Hey Dave,

I emailed you a while back about the WT500's power ratings. So, are you saying you think bridging the WT500 into 4 ohms is reasonably safe? I'm guessing that the WT500's power transformer is the limiting factor in producing more power, due to limited current availability.

Regarding upgrading the WT300 to 400W - no, I don't think it is worth it for a little over 1 dB more volume. It would be a rather subtle difference.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe you could have them upgrade the WT-500 to a WT-800, then have them upgrade that to a WT-800B.
  15. Let's see...... even if Eden would do such a thing, you'd be looking at $295 to upgrade a WT500 to WT800A, then $495 to upgrade your WT800A to WT800B. So, we're talking around an $800 upgrade here.
  16. I did that upgrade many years ago. At the time it was worth it.... included in the power upgrade was the additional of the compressor defeat switch, a DI improvement, and an overall reduction in noice comming from the unit (along with a general cleaning, new tube, etc. Also, even though small, I did notice a little more open sound in the low end due to the increased power and headroom. Again... additional wattage is not all about getting louder... if you are driving the amp to full power, even a modest increase in power can clean things up a little bit.

That being said, I assume your 300 is getting up in years.... the new WT550 is great, and can be had for slightly under $1,000. So, with the $200 you would have spent for the upgrade, along with the selling price for you 300, you might be getting relatively close to getting a new (or definitely a used) WT550.
  17. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I went navigator plus single rack-space SoundTech PS802 power amp. Luscious tone, superior headroom, comparable weight.